Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
So I am going to be making a purchase of a new HD Video Camera to start working on some projects. I want to get back into video editing.

Can anyone suggest a HD Video Camera? Something very compatible w/Mac and FCP.

I am was looking at the Panasonic AG-HMC40 or a Canon XA 25, but its not out yet. Also checked out the Canon XF100. I found a review of the top 10 pro camera's and the Canon isn't on there. The 25 is.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ever looked at the Blackmagic Digital Cinema Camera offerings? They record RAW (might not be necessary for you) and in Pro Res (or DNxHD if you use Avid), though they have a 2.3 crop factor (a 50 mm lens for 35 mm becomes a 115 mm lens, thus wide angle shots require a 12 mm lens) and rolling shutter (can be remedied with FCP X easily).

I will film with them (2 BMCCs) next week and twice after that and primarily choose them for their high dynamic range and editing format recording and the rolling shutter will not be a problem that much due to quite static shots.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
this is just me throwing this out there but if having a more well rounded package is more important to you than hd then I would recomend doing what I did and buy this camera that shoots in 480p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Canov...rofessional_Video_Cameras&hash=item4ac2820946

and then buy tons of quality accesories used like a manfrotto tripod monopod/crane shoulder-mount/lenses lighting etc.

then invest in final cut pro x for your mac and you should be off the races

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
this is just me throwing this out there but if having a more well rounded package is more important to you than hd then I would recomend doing what I did and buy this camera that shoots in 480p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Canov...rofessional_Video_Cameras&hash=item4ac2820946

and then buy tons of quality accesories used like a manfrotto tripod monopod/crane shoulder-mount/lenses lighting etc.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT 'invest' in this camera. It is completely absurd to be purchasing an SD camera in 2013...

What is your budget, this is first and foremost what you should be telling us!

Borntorun

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
Perth, Australia
I have an XF100 and there is nothing wrong with it. Autofocus is its Achilles heel, but otherwise, excellent value for money, considering you get 4:2:2 at 50mbps.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Do not, I repeat DO NOT 'invest' in this camera. It is completely absurd to be purchasing an SD camera in 2013...

What is your budget, this is first and foremost what you should be telling us!
I wasn't planning on even looking at that camera, lol.

My budget is around 3k.

----------

I have an XF100 and there is nothing wrong with it. Autofocus is its Achilles heel, but otherwise, excellent value for money, considering you get 4:2:2 at 50mbps.

Yeah, I am so torn I do not know what to do, lol.

The Panasonic looks really nice as well and I would save some money.

But also thinking on waiting to see the new Canon's coming soon.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008

An SD camera is simply not a good investment these days. What good are all those fancy accessories if you're not able to capture a really good quality image. Besides, you can rent a lot of that stuff. Chances are no one needs to own a crane setup.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
well you could purchase a canon 50D, yes its an old Camera but Magic lantern just turned it into big bucks, it records RAW although in its early stages, I use the 600D and to be honest i mix and match it with 5dmk2 footage once graded and coloured no one can tell the difference unless they are really really really noticing.

For a 3k budget i would probably go this route:

1. Panasonic GH2
2. Lenses
3. Audio equipment
4. stabilizing gear (tripod most likely)

gh2 presents good value for money and is shouted out about by everyone i know, you could even go gh3 but most prefer gh2

for audio recording equipment i would go with a tascam dr-60d and a rode ntg-1

also anyone that tells you to purchase an SD camera probably shouldnt be filming anymore, yes its still capable but seriously investing money in old outdated equipment other than film isnt called for, even an iphone is a better solution.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
well you could purchase a canon 50D, yes its an old Camera but Magic lantern just turned it into big bucks, it records RAW although in its early stages, I use the 600D and to be honest i mix and match it with 5dmk2 footage once graded and coloured no one can tell the difference unless they are really really really noticing.

For a 3k budget i would probably go this route:

1. Panasonic GH2
2. Lenses
3. Audio equipment
4. stabilizing gear (tripod most likely)

gh2 presents good value for money and is shouted out about by everyone i know, you could even go gh3 but most prefer gh2

for audio recording equipment i would go with a tascam dr-60d and a rode ntg-1

also anyone that tells you to purchase an SD camera probably shouldnt be filming anymore, yes its still capable but seriously investing money in old outdated equipment other than film isnt called for, even an iphone is a better solution.

I would rather not a DLSR, I already have a 5d mk ii.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
The Mark II has fantastic video. Worth a try for "cinematic" stuff and music videos, ads, etc.

For more traditional video the Canon camcorders look great and people generally are very happy with them.

If you're looking for cinematic style video and compatibility with your EF-mount lenses the C100 is the best thing going in terms of price/performance, but it lacks functional autofocus, etc. $5500, but then you already have the lenses, so it's not that bad.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
To the OP. You should seriously consider the C100 from Canon. OK, it might be out of your budget, but not by much. Could you finance it? It's a stunning camera, with great ergonomics. Paired with an Atomos Ninja 2, which you can add later, it becomes a 10Bit 4:2:2 capable monster.

I use this combination, so I can vouch for it...

All these folk suggesting DSLRs, especially the 50D... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

schopaia

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
I second the recommendation for Blackmagic's cameras. That's what I'm saving for.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Yeah, DSLRs couldn't possibly be used to aquire quality video. :rolleyes:

The 50D... Really? It's not able to capture sound on camera, and the fact you have to use a hack, which is pre-alpha, just to shoot video which is what the OP wants to do primarily, is absurd. I would absolutely not recommend a 50D.

I understand the appeal of shooting raw, but it really is overkill for the OP. The workflow is currently very clumsy and you need a hefty post workflow to deal with the massive data and processing. The OP said he wants to 'get back into editing...', not give himself unnecessary headaches!

I'm not hating on DSLRs, I have a 7D, and it shoots 'ok' video. There are major pitfalls with shooting on a DSLR, which are discussed at length all over the internet.

----------

So I am going to be making a purchase of a new HD Video Camera to start working on some projects. I want to get back into video editing.

Can anyone suggest a HD Video Camera? Something very compatible w/Mac and FCP.

I am was looking at the Panasonic AG-HMC40 or a Canon XA 25, but its not out yet. Also checked out the Canon XF100. I found a review of the top 10 pro camera's and the Canon isn't on there. The 25 is.

What kind of projects are you going to be working on?

What is the delivery format?

Is this likely to be something you continue to develop, or is it just to complete a few projects and that's it?

What do you want to edit with?

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
The 50D... Really? It's not able to capture sound on camera, and the fact you have to use a hack, which is pre-alpha, just to shoot video which is what the OP wants to do primarily, is absurd. I would absolutely not recommend a 50D.

I understand the appeal of shooting raw, but it really is overkill for the OP. The workflow is currently very clumsy and you need a hefty post workflow to deal with the massive data and processing. The OP said he wants to 'get back into editing...', not give himself unnecessary headaches!

I'm not hating on DSLRs, I have a 7D, and it shoots 'ok' video. There are major pitfalls with shooting on a DSLR, which are discussed at length all over the internet.

No, I wasn't talking about the 50D but rather DSLRs in general. They're certainly a viable option for many shooters these days. And I think most are aware of their issues by now. Although he later clarified not being interested in them, I don't think it was misguided for someone to originally suggest a DSLR. At least no more than suggesting a camera costing twice his budget even before lenses.

But he really does have to answer your follow up before anyone can provide any useful advice. Knowing his budget is a start, but what he intends to do with the camera still is more important.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Ever looked at the Blackmagic Digital Cinema Camera offerings? They record RAW (might not be necessary for you) and in Pro Res (or DNxHD if you use Avid), though they have a 2.3 crop factor (a 50 mm lens for 35 mm becomes a 115 mm lens, thus wide angle shots require a 12 mm lens) and rolling shutter (can be remedied with FCP X easily).

I will film with them (2 BMCCs) next week and twice after that and primarily choose them for their high dynamic range and editing format recording and the rolling shutter will not be a problem that much due to quite static shots.

The Pocket Cinema camera is not out yet...the others are above HD in resolution thus defeating the purpose of the OP. BTW...what is "quite static shots"?

Nov 28, 2010
located
The Pocket Cinema camera is not out yet...the others are above HD in resolution thus defeating the purpose of the OP. BTW...what is "quite static shots"?

I meant the Blackmagic Digitial Cinema Camera, that camera has been available since last year. The Pocket and 4K edition will be available this year.
Static shots are shots from a tripod with no pans or tilts or rolls and almost no action in front of it.
I will only shoot interviews and background shots (interviews in front of green), and even if I have to make some dynamic/fluid shots, the possibilities to remove rolling shutter effects are there.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
yeah, Not sure what the C100 is, lol. Looks like DLSR but is video?

I was looking at the new Canon AF20 and AF25, not sure what the difference is between the two. The comparison chart doesn't work on the Canon site.

Also Panasonic AG-HMC40 I was interested in, got a great review but is 4 years old.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
yeah, Not sure what the C100 is, lol. Looks like DLSR but is video?

I was looking at the new Canon AF20 and AF25, not sure what the difference is between the two. The comparison chart doesn't work on the Canon site.

Also Panasonic AG-HMC40 I was interested in, got a great review but is 4 years old.

The C100 is a dSLR form factor video camera that uses EOS lenses but offers all the basic consumer video features (peaking, great pre-amps, zebras, long run times and hours of battery life, a "log" mode). It has tons of DR, amazing resolution and color, and is ergonomic and easy to use.

If you like the style of dSLR video it's the best thing going; IMO, the image quality subjectively beats the Epic, F3, etc. and objectively is at worst almost on par. We recently used it as a B cam on a feature with the Alexa and it held its own better than the Epic did. Great camera, but for "cinema" style shoots and dSLR style shoots.

Otherwise a mid-range Canon camera is probably great. They do great prosumer video! For a pro, get the C300 (BNC and timecode sync).

haze

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
I teach video production. For $3,000 what do you think you are going to get that is better than your 5D Mkii? DSLR is the best option in that range with only the BCC be a comparable option. We have 4 HMC40s. The only time students use them is when all of the DSLRs or P2 cameras are checked out.

What doesn't the 5D do that you are looking for?

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I teach video production. For $3,000 what do you think you are going to get that is better than your 5D Mkii? DSLR is the best option in that range with only the BCC be a comparable option. We have 4 HMC40s. The only time students use them is when all of the DSLRs or P2 cameras are checked out.

Continuous focus for one. I want a video camera, not to use my DLSR as a video camera.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
Then no way do you want a dSLR! (or C100, or C300, or F3, F5, Scarlet, Epic, Alexa, etc...)

Do you need BNC and timecode sync?

I think the Canon you mentioned above and the EX1 and EX3 are all good options, but what you get really depends on if you need a pro (BNC and timecode) camera or are just concerned with ergonomics and image quality.

haze

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Do you understand about the concept of sensor size and type? A HMC40 has a 1/3 CMOS. The XA25, again crappy sensor. We also have a Panasonic HPX500: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...AG_HPX500_AG_HPX500_2_3_Shoulder_Mounted.html, it has a 2/3 CCD which is really nice. Still not full frame like on the 5D, but kick the crap out of a 1/3 CMOS that is so common on the consumer HD cameras.

What are you planning on filming? You are not getting Shallow DoF or a cinematic look with something like a HMC40 or XA25. If you are filming soccer games with plenty of light, they are fine. The HMC40 has a clean image with lots of light, but in lowlight . . . forget about it.

Anyhow, since DSLR is out, go with the Black Magic Cinema Camera. RAW looks great. Wait on the new 4K if you can, the sensor is much better. If you are leaning Canon, the C100 has a decent sensor. If your mind is set on a "traditional" prosumer camera, get the HMC150 before the HMC40. It is well worth the additional cost.

Here are some sample student videos to give you an idea on the HMC40 (XA25 will be similar) compares to the 5D. It can still look good if you do it right and never at night.

5D: https://vimeo.com/35706815, https://vimeo.com/35611597, https://vimeo.com/55002727

HMC40: https://vimeo.com/54918131

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I bought a Sony HDR-CX730E. VERY special and not offered even by professional cameras: Balanced Optical Steady Shot. Excellent! Exclusive. Almost like SteadyCam!! Look for demos at YouTube. You won't believe it. Even in telephoto shootings. For all of us who don't want to carry tripods. Forget DSLRs—they'll never have such a thing.

Small device, good viewfinder (two), low price. Very good Exmor sensor (low noise in difficult lightings). HD: iMovie edits 1080i, Final Cut 1080p. Both formats supported by the Sony camera.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008

For narrative work DSLRs are a great option. But they still have many limitations and depending on the type of work he'll be doing they might not fit the bill. I surely wouldn't recommend them for ENG type stuff.

Continuous focus for one. I want a video camera, not to use my DLSR as a video camera.

I think for better recommendations you really need to let everyone know the type of projects you'll be working on.

I would also say that you should never be using auto-focus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.