Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackRabbitSlims

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Hi.

My iPod classic is Synched to my old Macbook and it's iTunes Library...140GB's worth.

I have a new MBA that has zero Tunes in the Library. I want to buy some music online, place it in the new MBA iTunes Library and synch that new music to my iPod.

How can I do this without losing all the current music on my iPod and still keep it synched to my old MacBook - is this even possible?

Cheers.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
So in fact you will have two iTunes libraries not one. Why not just copy the first Mac's library to the second one? Perhaps use itunes match?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

How can I do this without losing all the current music on my iPod and still keep it synched to my old MacBook - is this even possible?

Cheers.
Why don't you download the music to both computers? That will solve your library sync issue. After all they are both yours and it's covered by the iTunes store terms of service.

JackRabbitSlims

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Thanks for the replies :)

I am currently traveling....one MacBook with the iTunes Library is in NZ, the new MBA is with me here in Bali.

I just want to be able to buy some new music and store it on my iPod using the new MBA.....is there a way around this at all?

Thanks once again.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Then go ahead and buy the music - if it's bought through the itunes store you'll be able to download it again to your other computer when you log in to your account there. I am not in front of my home computer but I believe there is a place for previous purchases. If you want to keep your playlists and play counts etc. then just copy your library from the travelling mac to the stay at home mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.