Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one are you more excited about?

• Ducktales: Remastered

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Castle of Illusion Remake

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • None

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Have you seen this? Two classic games being reworked for several gaming platforms, including the PC. First, there is Ducktales, the 1989 Capcom game for NES featuring Scrooge McDuck. Second, Castle of Illusion, the first Mickey Mouse game for Sega Genesis and Master System, from 1990.

Ducktales Remastered will be released in Q2/Q3 2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N0PzqF9gWY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTiGWOzPyY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRYfcL2jH_o

Castle of Illusion: Remake in Summer 2013:

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/04/15/announcing-castle-of-illusion-featuring-mickey-mouse/

Am I the only one excited about these?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I love any 2D side scrolling game. I wasn't a typical kid in that I got into gaming late (I think 4th grade) when I finally got an SNES. I only had Super Mario World and Super Mario All Stars and since I never beat them I kept playing them for years! (I'm much better now.)

When the N64 came out, I wished that they would just make better and better side scrolling games, in the vein of the Donkey Kong games for SNES, but it looks like that's what this game is, which is awesome.

I loved DuckTales so much. Watched it every day after school. I'll be very excited to try this out if it ever makes it to the Mac, as I'm not in the market for a PC or console.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I love any 2D side scrolling game. I wasn't a typical kid in that I got into gaming late (I think 4th grade) when I finally got an SNES. I only had Super Mario World and Super Mario All Stars and since I never beat them I kept playing them for years! (I'm much better now.)

When the N64 came out, I wished that they would just make better and better side scrolling games, in the vein of the Donkey Kong games for SNES, but it looks like that's what this game is, which is awesome.

I loved DuckTales so much. Watched it every day after school. I'll be very excited to try this out if it ever makes it to the Mac, as I'm not in the market for a PC or console.

I guess Ducktales is not coming to the Mac. Capcom only announced the PC version these days, as the original plan was to release it for consoles only. But you can always run it on BootCamp.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I would tend to agree. However I use a dedicated gaming console (Xbox) as I don't think any PC can hold a candle to a dedicated platform.

Well, I guess it depends on the PC you're using and on the video card as well, right?

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Well, I guess it depends on the PC you're using and on the video card as well, right?

I think Xbox Live when it launched in 2002 made online gaming more sociable by almost forcing voice chat on people. But as for offline gaming, I do think PC was a lot more beautiful back then. :)

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I'm excited and I didn't even know about these updates

I still have the Sega Game Gear version of Castle of Illusion. Sadly the Game Gear has long since broken.

I too watched Ducktales after school.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I'm excited and I didn't even know about these updates

I still have the Sega Game Gear version of Castle of Illusion. Sadly the Game Gear has long since broken.

I too watched Ducktales after school.

If you have Castle of Illusion for Game Gear, then you can probably download a Game Gear emulator and play the game without infringing any laws.

But you should try the new Castle of Illusion anyway.

As for DuckTales, I watched it after school as well. The game is very good. It was good on the NES, and it is the same on PC. With better visuals.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I forgot about this thread. Played Castle of Illusion a few weeks ago on the Mac. It was amazing! So magical. It made me feel like I was in childhood again. I especially loved the milkshake level. Everything about it was classic Disney--it felt so well thought-out. Then I saw it on sale for the iPhone for 99 cents and bought it there just to try it out to see how it runs. It's actually amazingly easy to control on the iPhone. I only wished that they would release more levels--even if it were with the same backgrounds. I can't overstate how happy that game made me. I beat the whole game in about a week or so, but I can't complain about that for $15.

If I wanted to play more games like this on a regular basis, what type of console would people recommend? It seems ironic that Nintendo doesn't get these games. So I guess it would be a Playstation or Xbox? And are there many games like this available? I've never gotten into the shooting or sports games. I like these "fun" ones.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I forgot about this thread. Played Castle of Illusion a few weeks ago on the Mac. It was amazing! So magical. It made me feel like I was in childhood again. I especially loved the milkshake level. Everything about it was classic Disney--it felt so well thought-out. Then I saw it on sale for the iPhone for 99 cents and bought it there just to try it out to see how it runs. It's actually amazingly easy to control on the iPhone. I only wished that they would release more levels--even if it were with the same backgrounds. I can't overstate how happy that game made me. I beat the whole game in about a week or so, but I can't complain about that for $15.

If I wanted to play more games like this on a regular basis, what type of console would people recommend? It seems ironic that Nintendo doesn't get these games. So I guess it would be a Playstation or Xbox? And are there many games like this available? I've never gotten into the shooting or sports games. I like these "fun" ones.

Well, I don't know. You should buy DuckTales as well, available for PC, but also for Playstation 3, XBOX 360 and Wii U.

These platform games are not widely available for the new consoles, though. Playstation 3, XBOX 360 and Wii U have lots of 3D games, and not really 2D bump-and-jump platforms like Castle of Illusion and DuckTales.

If this is the type of game you are looking for, then perhaps you should take a look at older consoles like Sega Genesis or Super NES. There are lots of platforms available for these consoles, even though the graphics are crap compared to the ones you can find nowadays.

If, however, you are looking for action games, even in 3D, well, any of these consoles will have plenty of options for you.

Just tell us what you are looking for exactly. What are these "fun" games?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.