Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No most androids are not getting rid of the lights seeing as the flagship android phone nexus 4 uses them and are highly customize-able as the nexus lights are full rgb and can display almost any color. And saying they cannot be useful is plain ignorant. There are plenty of situations were they are useful. For example, I take a shower and have my phone in another room so I cannot physically hear any notification from my phone. I leave the shower and from my color set up I can see if I have a missed call, email, text, Facebook message etc without even physically going to my phone. If I see no flashing light there is no reason to even approach my phone. It also almost "forces" me to check my phone. If there was no light and that same situation happened were I left the shower, I probably wouldn't even pay attention to the phone and probably view a message late. A flashing light just makes me check the phone.

So basically its particularly useful when you leave your phone for some amount of time, either going to the bathroom, gym or physical sport were you place your phone away etc.
This is exactly right, and it's definitely one of the bigger things that the iPhone has been missing.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
So, if you miss the initial notification, how do you know you have something new?

You can set it so that your notifications can repeat up to like 10 times or so you can set it. So if you havent checked your phone, your phone will vibrate/make a noise 10 times over a certain period of time or whatever interval you pick,

Its extremely useful for text messages, i have that on about 2 repeats

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can set it so that your notifications can repeat up to like 10 times or so you can set it. So if you havent checked your phone, your phone will vibrate/make a noise 10 times over a certain period of time or whatever interval you pick,

Its extremely useful for text messages, i have that on about 2 repeats
You can do that for text messages basically, but that's really the only thing (and even that was only added not that long ago). This doesn't exist for missed calls or voicemails--which are really often even more important than new text messages--or emails or really any other notifications.

And, even with that, you still have to be there, and close by, to hear the notification, and if you are set on vibrate, then you'd have to have the phone on you or very close to you to feel it--certainly a far cry from simply having a small notification light that would be visible (yet not overly bright/in the way) and would allow you to quickly see if you missed anything and what it might be (based on a blink pattern and/or color of the light) without even really having to be very close to the phone (let alone have it on you) and without having to have any sounds or vibrations going on.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Yes it does. It's called a fist coming at your chin at 128mph for asking this question.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
I think new iPhone is coming with notification light. But I still feel samsung note 2 is much better and cheaper then iPhone

Better and Cheaper eh :D,so you made an account this month to tell us all how much better and cheaper it is-- bravo :cool:

And oh yes, also to tell us all that new iPhone is coming with a notification light which no rumor or tech site has so far indicated ! Please tell me more.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Notification light? Hahahhhaaahas!

If u thought Steve Jobs was sen aesthetic, Ive's designs are even starker, if u see the products of that designer who Ive worships ...

Next silly topic.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I absolutely love the notification light on my HTC One. Little green flash every 4 seconds for a missed call or text. Its so tiny and unassuming by being integrated behind the front facing speakers.

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
I use 2 phones. An iPhone and a Blackberry.
I guess having notification light is useful, but i don't miss it on iPhone either.

Most of the time, I put my BB on silent mode (OFF vibration too). The only thing that will notify me is the LED light. And even that, annoys me sometimes. Mostly because the BBM users I know, feel the need to send 10 messages for a single sentence. If I don't put it on silent, it'll just keep ringing non-stop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.