Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbhanna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
Hey guys,

I just purchased an iPad 4. My iPad and iPhone were stolen from my South Beach apartment in December, and I haven't been able to afford any iOS devices until now. I chose to restore my iPad from the cloud from the last time it backed up in December, and when I opened the App Store I was prompted with the user name "jo_hutch91@hotmail.com", which I do not own and I have never seen before.

The only reasonable explanation to me is that this is the email address of the person who stole my iPad. Is that an unreasonable assumption? Why else would a name I've never seen before pop up?

What can I do to find out who owns this email address?

Am I on to something?

jk111

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
The best way would be to contact hotmail to get the name associated with that email address, as well as IP addresses where the email account has been logged in from. Then the service provider for the IP can provide the person who had the IP at the certain time.

More than likely, you'll need to get the police involved, as the companies will not give away personal information of others.

Be aware, there is always the chance the thief sold the iPad, so this email may be associated with the buyer.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Be aware, there is always the chance the thief sold the iPad, so this email may be associated with the buyer.

It's still stolen property. That possibility should not deter the owner at all.

Document everything. Call Apple for guidance. Then call the cops.

And password-lock your iDevices and Macs!

bbhanna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
Well. Looks like it's a lost cause. I mentioned it to some sale reps at the Apple store just now and they looked at me like I was insane.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
The best way would be to contact hotmail to get the name associated with that email address, as well as IP addresses where the email account has been logged in from. Then the service provider for the IP can provide the person who had the IP at the certain time.

None of the above is possible without a subpoena or court order. The odds that the police will do something other than take your info and fill out a report is close to nil, the odds of it getting to the point where a subpoena or court order can issue on the theft of a single $500-ish device is beyond remote.

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Well. Looks like it's a lost cause. I mentioned it to some sale reps at the Apple store just now and they looked at me like I was insane.

Apple Stores don't typically handle any sort of theft issues, so their reaction shouldn't deter you. Ask local Law enforcement.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Apple Stores don't typically handle any sort of theft issues, so their reaction shouldn't deter you. Ask local Law enforcement.

Retail stores in general are not going to take any action of this kind. They don't have the personnel, nor do they want to assume liability, for any criminal investigation.

max53389

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Then again you could be arresting a random guy that bought the iPad from the original people that stole it. He might of not known it was stolen in the first place.
Just a thought and do what you think is best.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Nah that just an email linked to some songs that you downloaded from torrents and such. So it's trying to re download those songs but you need to verify the ID you'll probably have songs grayed out in your music app because it couldn't re download them

bbhanna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
Nah that just an email linked to some songs that you downloaded from torrents and such. So it's trying to re download those songs but you need to verify the ID you'll probably have songs grayed out in your music app because it couldn't re download them

I don't have any songs in my music app. I have a spotify subscription.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
did you have any media that you may have downloaded or been given by someone else. ive seen this happen before when you restore something, such as a song, that was originally downloaded under someone elses apple ID. upon restore, it will prompt you for their apple ID.

i highly doubt the person who is currently using it somehow had their apple ID in your backup file, unless it was a wireless backup. i think its likely some kind of media you had.

as for the law enforcement question, you can report the theft to the police and they will take a report. depending on the department and if their detectives investigate further into it, they could in fact ask hotmail for IP address info and account owner information. in my department, its uncommon for this to go much further than a matter of record theft report, but sometimes, like this "lead" you may have, they will dig deeper. i actually had my debit card compromised last year and reported it to my department. there was an email address used to make an unauthorized purchase. our detective was able to get walmart.com to release the purchaser info, then able to get yahoo to track the IP for the email address. it was traced to an apartment complex where the end user unfortunately couldnt be located. but i suggest trying with your local PD. couldnt hurt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.