Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
M

Mr.damien

Interesting are the title of the news.

at First
MacRumor: Carriers are throttling iPhone and iPad speed
CNET: Apple is throttling iPhone and iPad speed

Next Round
Anand: Apple is not throttling iPhone and iPad speed
MacRumor: Carriers are not throttling iPhone and iPad speed.

Interesting how the subjet is changed site to site.

Just saying, that everybody seems not to understand that you can throttle on both device and server side. So Apple not throttling on the device doesn't means that the carriers are not on their back end.

It's very easy to know which device is connected and set some QoS rules on each of them. Network 101.

I am amazed how fast web sites dropped the case about it...

----------

The headline is misleading. AnandTech says Apple, not the carriers, have anything in the carrier bundles that would throttle the iPhone.

But can the carriers throttle based on the ID it reads off the phone when it's connecting to a tower for access? I would imagine that's is technically possible to do. My phone has the same carrier bundle as every AT&T iPhone out there, but as an unlimited data user, once I get to a certain limit I can and will be throttled. I imagine different parameters can be set by the carrier to throttle down any user based on various specifications.

Your right sir.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Wrong

While Apple may not "allow" throttling via it's software, there's nothing they can do to stop carriers from throttling on their networks. I have the Verizon LTE iPhone 5 and my data speeds are pathetic. I used to get 28M down, 14M up. Now I'm lucking if I can get 2M down and 1M up. It's slower than AT&T 3G. I think its a combination of things; network over congestion already and VZW thorttling speeds down to help said over-congestion.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
While Apple may not "allow" throttling via it's software, there's nothing they can do to stop carriers from throttling on their networks. I have the Verizon LTE iPhone 5 and my data speeds are pathetic. I used to get 28M down, 14M up. Now I'm lucking if I can get 2M down and 1M up. It's slower than AT&T 3G. I think its a combination of things; network over congestion already and VZW thorttling speeds down to help said over-congestion.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the original charge and the knee-jerk reaction to anything negative about Apple. The article spread across the tech universe because it implied evil doing by Apple. When that turned out not to be true it simply disappeared with no trace, leaving the implication about Apple in tact.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
To be fair, I don't doubt that AnAnd's information is completely accurate, but the carriers do have processes and technologies in place to manage their network as they see fit, including the ability to cap speeds and such.

They may not be doing it on the device side, but they certainly do it on the network side as needed. This should not be news to anyone, nor should it be upsetting. It is just a fact of managing networks.

Dynamically, programmatically managing it, yes, understandable and reasonable, but, if they set arbitrary cap limit, they'd better publicly announce it at the beginning, so that customers don't get false impression from their advertisement.

shanerockey

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2006
My speedtest

My speedtest 06/07/13 Columbus, Ohio with At&T carrier, iPhone 4s

:eek::mad::rolleyes::cool::p;):D:eek::(:):confused::apple:

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    663.2 KB · Views: 56

Mcckoe

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Answered Questions

50mbps download speed on home Internet access is really, really good. But what does your ISP advertise, more than that? It's limited by your ISP, not the wifi card.

our internet is promised at 30mbps down 15mbps up, usually pretty close... But our router at home will only connect to my iPad 3rd Gen.(802.11n) at about 50mbps, iPhone 5(802.11n) is a little better at 110 same as our iPad 4th Gen.(802.11n), i'd say its a distance thing, but thats simply not true, my 5 year old computer with 802.11n still gets 300 mbps, and its on the other side of the room. You might ask why you need that much bandwidth, but i transfer and stream movies to my iPads and iPhones on a regular basis, and would really like the additional speed... and as far as i know those limits are set by apple, and have nothing to do with the capabilities of the iOS hardware!!! :), i was just using this as evidence that apple does indeed throttle devices, and throttling on networks would not be too far of a stretch!!!

PS
if you check in your router's settings, you can check at what speed your device is sending and receiving!!!

Last edited:

HouseOfCards

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
What's more interesting to me is how these guys are signing their modified carrier bundles. Generally, you would need a jailbroken device with a patched CommCenter in order to use a modified carrier bundle. With the ability to sign modified carrier bundles, you can enable features (such as tethering or facetime over cellular) on a non-jailbroken device that carriers might otherwise be blocking.

Anyone know how they are signing these bundles?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apple gets paid

Jason O'Grady is a very experienced Mac journalist and tends to be very pro-Apple.

According to the article I've linked, Apple has cooperated with AT&T, Verizon and other carriers, and modified the code in iOS to throttle data speeds. It's something that certainly has some merit, as Apple is all about the money above all else.

I'm sure these huge companies pay Apple well.

http://www.powerpage.org/2013/06/06...de-in-ios-for-att-verizon-and-sprint-devices/

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Jason O'Grady is a very experienced Mac journalist and tends to be very pro-Apple.
http://www.powerpage.org/2013/06/06...de-in-ios-for-att-verizon-and-sprint-devices/

A) Are you serious!? Your link basically just reposts snippets Brown's (iTweakOS) original post that has since been deleted. Unlike Anandtech's analysis, what you provide has zero, nada, no new original information. It is positively mind boggling that you did not realize this. Contrary to your assertion, in the absence of no NEW analysis, this is completely WITHOUT merit.

B) Wake up call: ALL CORPORATIONS, every one, all of them, are ALL ABOUT THE MONEY above all else. Period. From commondreams.org I give you the words below (I am not going to debate it further. IANAL. If you want to, go get your JD in corporate law and have a ball)

"The provision in the law I am talking about is the one that says the purpose of the corporation is simply to make money for shareholders. Every jurisdiction where corporations operate has its own law of corporate governance. But remarkably, the corporate design contained in hundreds of corporate laws throughout the world is nearly identical. That design creates a governing body to manage the corporation�usually a board of directors�and dictates the duties of those directors. In short, the law creates corporate purpose. That purpose is to operate in the interests of shareholders. In Maine, where I live, this duty of directors is in Section 716 of the business corporation act, which reads:

...the directors and officers of a corporation shall exercise their powers and discharge their duties with a view to the interests of the corporation and of the shareholders....

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
A) Are you serious!? Your link basically just reposts snippets Brown's (iTweakOS) original post that has since been deleted. Unlike Anandtech's analysis, what you provide has zero, nada, no new original information. It is positively mind boggling that you did not realize this. Contrary to your assertion, in the absence of no NEW analysis, this is completely WITHOUT merit.

B) Wake up call: ALL CORPORATIONS, every one, all of them, are ALL ABOUT THE MONEY above all else. Period. From commondreams.org I give you the words below (I am not going to debate it further. IANAL. If you want to, go get your JD in corporate law and have a ball)

Feel better now?

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
There is a shred of truth in the original article.

After filing numerous complaints of very poor LTE transfer rates on my employer-provided MiFi as compared to my personal MiFi of the same model in the same location...and after having the employer-provided unit and SIM replaced numerous times... It was finally revealed by Verizon that my employer's volume discount / negotiated plan came with QoS-imposed bandwidth constraints.

So carriers do have bandwidth-limiting technology and they DO use it in certain circumstances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.