Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
I was expect this to come out sooner or later this year and it finally came. I just didn't anticipate such compromise. No rear camera, no fun color, button all plastic. Still, i think some people would still buy it at USD 229, no?

Any comment welcome whether you will buy it or not and why? Already have a smart phone with good camera, i dont really care but still price is not as low as it should.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I will, good Father's Day gift (he doesn't care about the camera).

All my dad wants is an iPod that he can have Music on it for his car (Aux cable) or while at home, and the ability to save music offline from rdio.

davydavy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
This is a breakthrough product for Apple.

I think that it's the first time that a key feature has been removed as part of a product 'upgrade'. Other companies have crippled products in the past to create a lower tier product, but this is a first for Apple and a bit of a new direction for the company.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
What do you mean by "button all plastic"? I don't see any mention on the ifixit tear down of plastic buttons. I have to admit my first thought regarding this "new" iPod touch was disappointment. Having thought about it though, some parents don't want children to have cameras and the lack of one means this device won't have it's flash drive clogged up with a couple hundred blurry pics of kids goofing off. Priced a tad high, but I expect it to drop, maybe as early as the fall if it doesn't sell well. I'm curious to see how the target audience adopts this. Interesting move on Apples part.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
What do you mean by "button all plastic"? I don't see any mention on the ifixit tear down of plastic buttons. I have to admit my first thought regarding this "new" iPod touch was disappointment. Having thought about it though, some parents don't want children to have cameras and the lack of one means this device won't have it's flash drive clogged up with a couple hundred blurry pics of kids goofing off. Priced a tad high, but I expect it to drop, maybe as early as the fall if it doesn't sell well. I'm curious to see how the target audience adopts this. Interesting move on Apples part.

I havn't read ifixit tear down yet but unbox video on youtube suggest that they use diff. material for volume and home button as well.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I havn't read ifixit tear down yet but unbox video on youtube suggest that they use diff. material for volume and home button as well.

I'd be surprised to find that the buttons are plastic. The home button already is with a thin veneer of glass on the surface, but if you're right, it's an epic fail on Apples part. How much could they really save by doing this?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I'm pretty sure some folks will buy this assuming it has a rear camera and will get home and will be surprised. It's unusual for a newer product not to have the features of the older product, especially when that feature is pretty much considered standard in this day and age.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I think that it's the first time that a key feature has been removed as part of a product 'upgrade'.

I remember a certain ambient light sensor that was not in the iPod Touch 5 :D. Everything in the design cost money and Apple breaks down the cost to see what they can get rid of in order to meet their desired product cost.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Most of the people who currently buy an iPod nano will consider spending the extra $80 to get an iPod with a 4" retina display, wifi, games, apps, FaceTime and iCloud. Rather than being a new direction for Apple it is classic Apple up-sell. It might also appeal to people who don't take many pictures (I've only used the camera in my 8GB iPod Touch a few times).

It also unifies screen size and connecters across the iPhone - iPod Touch line. I think it is a good move for Apple and if I am wrong they will get rid of it.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'd be surprised to find that the buttons are plastic. The home button already is with a thin veneer of glass on the surface, but if you're right, it's an epic fail on Apples part. How much could they really save by doing this?

They are black plastic. How can you not see this? It's just like on the full size iPad, yet no one complains about that (I have an iPad mini and see no need why its buttons need to be metal). Go to youtube and search for the review my Detroitborg. I just ordered one a few days ago. I like the design. I don't use cameras often, and when I do, it's my phone's camera or the Facetime camera. I thought the loop was gimicky, so I'm glad to see it go. The only thing is, I now have to wait for a case manufacturer to make a case for this model.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Most of the people who currently buy an iPod nano will consider spending the extra $80 to get an iPod with a 4" retina display, wifi, games, apps, FaceTime and iCloud. Rather than being a new direction for Apple it is classic Apple up-sell. It might also appeal to people who don't take many pictures (I've only used the camera in my 8GB iPod Touch a few times).

It also unifies screen size and connecters across the iPhone - iPod Touch line. I think it is a good move for Apple and if I am wrong they will get rid of it.

I don't think people that buy the nano ever intended to buy the touch. Different category of customers.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I was expect this to come out sooner or later this year and it finally came. I just didn't anticipate such compromise. No rear camera, no fun color, button all plastic. Still, i think some people would still buy it at USD 229, no?

Any comment welcome whether you will buy it or not and why? Already have a smart phone with good camera, i dont really care but still price is not as low as it should.

Simple answer, NO. I always buy the model with the biggest internal storage, in this case I have a 64GB black iPod touch 5.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
I don't think people that buy the nano ever intended to buy the touch. Different category of customers.

People who buy larger capacity nanos won't but I think many of the people who buy 16GB nanos, or buy for their kids, will. We'll know at the nest earnings report.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
You could just get an existing iPod touch 5 case and deal with the awkward camera hole :p

I wonder if anyone will even bother to make separate cases for the 16gb model?

They will, if they want some profit. It's a different item, and not just because of the camera and loop holes, but due to the fact that the microphone hole is on the top and would be blocked by a 32/64 gb 5th gen case. Anyway, I got mine today and I love it. I enjoy the pocketability. I'm going to sell my iPad mini because it is literally a pocketable iPad mini (minus the camera) and is going to be more versatile for my uses. The build quality and design are great. It's really nice and sleek, and I love the classic black and silver. And, no, I don't have/ need an iPhone.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
People who buy larger capacity nanos won't but I think many of the people who buy 16GB nanos, or buy for their kids, will. We'll know at the nest earnings report.

If i want a bigger than 8GB player, i would go for Sansa or sony at cheaper price. I dont think spending 80 more just for bigger capacity is a safe trade. Unless u, all of a sudden" want to play games on it as well.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
They will, if they want some profit. It's a different item, and not just because of the camera and loop holes, but due to the fact that the microphone hole is on the top and would be blocked by a 32/64 gb 5th gen case. Anyway, I got mine today and I love it. I enjoy the pocketability. I'm going to sell my iPad mini because it is literally a pocketable iPad mini (minus the camera) and is going to be more versatile for my uses. The build quality and design are great. It's really nice and sleek, and I love the classic black and silver. And, no, I don't have/ need an iPhone.

How is the back on the unit would you say it would stand up to being used without a case? Maybe just a sleeve or directly in the pocket or does it look like it would get scuffed up?

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
How is the back on the unit would you say it would stand up to being used without a case? Maybe just a sleeve or directly in the pocket or does it look like it would get scuffed up?

No, I'd get a case. It feels nice without one, but the aluminum is soft. I know from past experience - better to buy a case, sleeve, or skin for the back as well as a screen protector (any 5th gen iPod touch screen protector will do)

boats4chris

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
Not me...

I have 3 teenagers in my house that I purchased the 8 gig (4th Gen) Touch for Christmas this past year when the refurbs were on sale and they ALL use the camera a lot. I don't know who the target audience is for the stripped down version, but I don't think it is teenagers.

My kids love their Touch's and take them everywhere with them partly because they have a camera (and because I am to cheap to pay for iPhones for them) even though they also have cell phones.

Epic fail on Apple's part in my opinion.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Love it. Rear camera is just a waste of time. I actually am glad, should help cut down the pointless pictures from people on facebook and google+

I like the look of the iPod a good bit. May be my goto gift for friends and family this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.