Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhlfreak98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
I have an iPhone 5 and was wondering if I should download the beta I have a developer account. I heard that when you download betas they are kind of buggy like what's buggy about them? Does it get to the point where I can't use some stock apps?
Thanks

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
The iOS 7 beta is pretty buggy but at the same time, it isn't that buggy. :p

I wouldn't recommend downloading the beta on a device you use as your "every day" device.

nhlfreak98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
The iOS 7 beta is pretty buggy but at the same time, it isn't that buggy. :p

I wouldn't recommend downloading the beta on a device you use as your "every day" device.

doesn't it drain your battery iOS 7? I have an ipad mini that's jailbroken but I don't wanna upgrade it though

Last edited by a moderator:

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
We wouldn't know until Apple actually releases or announces iOS 7 and the iOS 7 Beta. The Beta will probably arrive on Monday or soon after that, but it doesn't have to. You could wait a few days after the release of the Beta to see what people say and then decide.

nhlfreak98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
We wouldn't know until Apple actually releases or announces iOS 7 and the iOS 7 Beta. The Beta will probably arrive on Monday or soon after that, but it doesn't have to. You could wait a few days after the release of the Beta to see what people say and then decide.

Yeah I could do that. Because my friend told me that he had iOS 6 beta last yr and some of his apps would crash and he couldn't use them

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
Yes, that will happen with some apps usually because developers would need to update for the Beta but haven't as their also working bugs out at the same time as you using them. Sometimes built-in Apps can also crash although is usually less likely.
Yeah I could do that. Because my friend told me that he had iOS 6 beta last yr and some of his apps would crash and he couldn't use them

nhlfreak98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Yes, that will happen with some apps usually because developers would need to update for the Beta but haven't as their also working bugs out at the same time as you using them. Sometimes built-in Apps can also crash although is usually less likely.

Do u have a chance of what apps do crash? Is it mail, messages or safari?

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
dude don't download a beta if you are asking these questions. Definitely not on a device you rely on to work. There will be bugs in each release, some will get patched, others will arise when the first set are patched. That is how betas work. Just be patient and enjoy it when it is out to the public and working the way it is supposed to.

I have a developer account and tried to download lion when it was in beta on my primary machine which was a big mistake

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
No. Sometimes it would be user specific, because of your specific settings and what not and would differ for every Beta.

If you're this worried then don't download the beta as you will find it hard to downgrade. Certainly not a proper way that Apple allows anyways.

ByteArt

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
iOS Betas

Ive used ever iOS Beta since 5.0b1 and have had no paralyzing issues. None of the apps I regularly use have has compatibility issues, and battery life, while somewhat variable never fluctuates more 1.5 hours. Some betas even had improved battery life over consumer releases. If you know how to restore your phone and cant wait 4 months for iOS 7 JUST DO IT.

^Peer Pressure ;)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I have an iPhone 5 and was wondering if I should download the beta I have a developer account. I heard that when you download betas they are kind of buggy like what's buggy about them? Does it get to the point where I can't use some stock apps?
Thanks

Is your developer account paid for? If not, you cannot download the beta from the developer site. Secondly, if you ARE a developer, it really surprises me that you don't know anything about betas...in fact I would bet you are not an app developer, just someone who wants to "try" iOS 7 as soon as you can.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
FWIW I put the iOS 6 Beta on my primary device and it was very stable. No issues at all.

iOS7 will be going on my 4S right away.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you're a developer then the beta is useful as you'll need to see how you need to change your code or do regression testing. If you just want the latest and greatest you'll be looking at a lot of headaches.

A few of points regarding the beta
  • Betas expire, so once you start on them, you have to keep upgrading.
  • They're unstable, meaning apps will crash (who knows which one)
  • Battery life will be impacted as its a beta and apple is releasing an unfinished OS to developers
  • You cannot easily downgrade.
If this is you're only phone or you need the phone for day to day usage, then avoid the beta.

As others stated signing up to for a developer account is not sufficient, you need to be a paid member.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I say go for it. You really have nothing to lose, as long as you have a backup in iTunes.

Report bugs when you find them, though.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
If you're a developer then the beta is useful as you'll need to see how you need to change your code or do regression testing. If you just want the latest and greatest you'll be looking at a lot of headaches.

A few of points regarding the beta
  • Betas expire, so once you start on them, you have to keep upgrading.
  • They're unstable, meaning apps will crash (who knows which one)
  • Battery life will be impacted as its a beta and apple is releasing an unfinished OS to developers
  • You cannot easily downgrade.
If this is you're only phone or you need the phone for day to day usage, then avoid the beta.

As others stated signing up to for a developer account is not sufficient, you need to be a paid member.

I agree with everything you said (well put, by the way), but it's not exactly hard to downgrade when Apple is still signing current ipsw.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Is your developer account paid for? If not, you cannot download the beta from the developer site. Secondly, if you ARE a developer, it really surprises me that you don't know anything about betas...in fact I would bet you are not an app developer, just someone who wants to "try" iOS 7 as soon as you can.

There's so much hate against people who opt to do this and I don't get it. I wouldn't know where to start in regard to creating an app but as part of the agreement, I get access to the betas as a developer. It's not a scam, and it's not playing the system. It's no different than people joining a gym because it's cheaper than a tanning salon and only taking advantage of the tanning beds and not using the gym. Perhaps an inane example but it's true.

And people are going to bitch about unstable releases developer or not. It's (paying for a dev account for early access) not a big deal. People need to get over it. :apple:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks

What's buggy isn't something that can be defined in advance.

Basically it could be buggy enough that your phone could be bricked and all contents erased. And there's no in store service in any phone running pre release software. So if it bricks and won't restore you are screwed until iOS 7 launches for the public.

Which is why when you sign up for your account they flat say don't install on your real world devices

----------

doesn't it drain your battery iOS 7? I have an ipad mini that's jailbroken but I don't wanna upgrade it though

WE DON'T KNOW. We don't have the software, we haven't used it.

Until we do, we can't answer such questions.

That you don't get this makes the answer clear. NO DON'T DOWNLOAD IT.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
There's so much hate against people who opt to do this and I don't get it. I wouldn't know where to start in regard to creating an app but as part of the agreement, I get access to the betas as a developer. It's not a scam, and it's not playing the system. It's no different than people joining a gym because it's cheaper than a tanning salon and only taking advantage of the tanning beds and not using the gym. Perhaps an inane example but it's true.

And people are going to bitch about unstable releases developer or not. It's (paying for a dev account for early access) not a big deal. People need to get over it. :apple:

Yes, but "these" people are the same ones who clog up the forums afterwards with "help my device is bricked" threads. "These" people should educated themselves a little better before dabbling in something they know nothing about.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I agree with everything you said (well put, by the way), but it's not exactly hard to downgrade when Apple is still signing current ipsw.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'll not disagree with you on downgrading, but I will say we see too many threads here during the beta phase on people unable to figure out how to do so. So technically speaking its possible, but the process seems to throw a number of people for a curve.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Never understood why these same people come back and ask us to help when they don't know what they're getting themselves into. If you have to ask all these questions (many answers are clearly obvious), then by all means, go ahead and see what happens. You'll only learn by doing it. Just don't come back here and plead for help when you were warned.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the kind words, and I'll not disagree with you on downgrading, but I will say we see too many threads here during the beta phase on people unable to figure out how to do so. So technically speaking its possible, but the process seems to throw a number of people for a curve.

Agreed. I think the "brace yourselves" meme is appropriate for all the new threads that pop up about the beta next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.