Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomd89

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Just a little thing I've noticed,

the iOS banner makes no mention of iOS instead just stating its version number, 7. Whereas the OS X banner has no version number (I know X means 10 originally) and just shows the brand X.

Surely is one banner says 7, the other should say 10.9 (or X.9, X10.9, big cat name). Likewise if one banner says X, the other should say iOS, or even just i.

What I am getting at here is maybe, just maybe, there aren't two OS's at all and Apple are unifying the two OS's into one called OS X 7. This would bring OS X to the iPhone and iPad, but stick with the version number of iOS to not confuse users of those devices.

It sounds weird, but just think about it. iOS 6 was a small update which may suggest Apple have been working on unifying their OS's at the same time giving them at least two years to work on it. Federici has been drafted in to head up iOS as well as OS X which may lead to the new OS being branded X rather than i.

It's a long shot, but if Apple unveiled a new OS, streamlining all their devices to run on one single platform, X, a new world really would be developing.

What does everyone think?

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013

the iOS banner makes no mention of iOS instead just stating its version number, 7. Whereas the OS X banner has no version number (I know X means 10 originally) and just shows the brand X.

Surely is one banner says 7, the other should say 10.9 (or X.9, X10.9, big cat name). Likewise if one banner says X, the other should say iOS, or even just i.

What I am getting at here is maybe, just maybe, there aren't two OS's at all and Apple are unifying the two OS's into one called OS X 7. This would bring OS X to the iPhone and iPad, but stick with the version number of iOS to not confuse users of those devices.

It sounds weird, but just think about it. iOS 6 was a small update which may suggest Apple have been working on unifying their OS's at the same time giving them at least two years to work on it. Federici has been drafted in to head up iOS as well as OS X which may lead to the new OS being branded X rather than i.

It's a long shot, but if Apple unveiled a new OS, streamlining all their devices to run on one single platform, X, a new world really would be developing.

They know their customers to be generally intelligent enough to fill in the gaps... it's implied, doesn't have to be spelled out.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

There's also a 10.9 banner. Simply has 10.9 on it.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
That mesh background makes me happy, because on the 'X' banner there is a wave and on the '7' banner this mesh is also present, it means that neither will have that as their wallpaper, which I think would ruin the look, eapecially on a Mac, I hope they keep the highly detailed retina wallpapers

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

The moving forward from OS X should really be XI, so it should simply be OS 7 XI...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Um. Definitely not. They may be getting closer, bringing elements from each to the other, but what you suggest is not here, not yet at least.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
A simple X has always stood for Mac OS X in Apple's marketing - OP is reading way too much into this.

Apple aren't going to go into this "one size fits all" strategy Microsoft is trying with their Windows 8.

A user interface designed for touchscreen isn't going to work well with keyboard and mouse. In turn, a UI designed for keyboard and mouse is a nightmare on touchscreen devices. If you want to use one UI for both, you need to make sacrifices in both ease of use and functionality. Fundamentally different devices need fundamentally different user interfaces.

They know that at Apple. That's why they are going to keep their operating systems distinct, instead sharing features and characteristics between them when it makes sense, instead of trying to shove all the round pegs into square holes along the way.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
A simple X has always stood for Mac OS X in Apple's marketing - OP is reading way too much into this.

Apple aren't going to go into this "one size fits all" strategy Microsoft is trying with their Windows 8.

A user interface designed for touchscreen isn't going to work well with keyboard and mouse. In turn, a UI designed for keyboard and mouse is a nightmare on touchscreen devices. If you want to use one UI for both, you need to make sacrifices in both ease of use and functionality. Fundamentally different devices need fundamentally different user interfaces.

They know that at Apple. That's why they are going to keep their operating systems distinct, instead sharing features and characteristics between them when it makes sense, instead of trying to shove all the round pegs into square holes along the way.

Precisely right.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Very excited for the new direction, just hoping it's a positive one, and not a step back.

OSX definitely needs a new 'fresh' feel, as does iOS so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Monday!

iOS could do with a new look, but I would far from call it an urgent requirement. OS X? Nope, it works as it is was intended to - why does it need a new look (again)? Do you spend your days staring at the OS elements, or actually using them? I understand it needs to be pleasing to the eye, but Mountain Lion is as far from boring or stale as I can possibly imagine.

If your eyes need stimulation that much, go out for a walk and look at the sky, the plants and the rivers.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013

Indeed, the most awkward thing to interact with on the touchscreen devices is when they try to emulate a keyboard.

There needs to be a better text entry system, one that has nothing to do with keyboards and that works better for touch devices. Speech and pens may have a place there.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
And to further attempt to explain why there's 7 but no 10.9…

Ever since Apple renamed iPhone OS into iOS (that was with version 4), the marketing has shown off the version number as the most important part of the iOS logo. We've seen the number being put into boxes with different backgrounds to make it stand out.

What we're seeing here is taking that approach to the extreme: what is the shortest and simplest way to say "new iOS" without actually saying it? Just put up the new version number.

However, the marketing for Mac OS X has historically been about emphasizing the X - of course it stands for 10 among other meanings (hence the pronounciation), but the precise version number has always been of less importance. With everything said above about iOS in mind, what is the simplest possible way to say "Mac OS X"? Of course it's just the X.

Naturally this is my opinion and reasoning so I reserve the right to be wrong on this ;)

Last edited:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
People know 7 is for iOS and X is for OS.

Apple even said they were showing off the next iOS AND OS X in the press release.

iOS

AND

OS X

Thats 2 different things.

/rant

----------

And to further attempt to explain why there's 7 but no 10.9…

Marketing and everything its iOS 7.

For Macs its OS X [insert cat name].

Has Apple ever said in a keynote that we're introducing today, "OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion"

Its either OS X, OS X Mountain Lion, or Mountain Lion.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Highly doubt that, desktop an mobile UIs are very different and serve different purposes.

And anyone notice how silly saying "OS X 10.9" sounds? OS ten ten point nine? Nothing like repeating the same word twice in a row :(
I feel saying "OS ex" rolls off the tongue better, but that's probably just me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.