Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_radio_round_icon.jpg
Following earlier news that Apple has reached an agreement with Sony Music for its upcoming streaming music service dubbed "iRadio," Billboard reports (via AllThingsD) that Apple has also inked a deal with Sony/ATV Music Publishing.

In addition to signing with labels, Apple also needs to reach deals with publishers. The company has now completed agreements with both the label and publishing branches of Sony and Warner, in addition to signing a deal with Universal Music. Apple has yet to reach an agreement with Universal Music Publishing Group, however.

According to Billboard, Apple has agreed to pay publishers a 10% cut of advertising revenue.
The majors publishers had looked like they were going to be the holdout because Apple initially offered to pay them a rate of 4.1% of its advertising revenue, while the publishers had been withdrawing digital rights from the U.S. performance rights organizations BMI and ASCAP because they wanted higher rates. BMG, Sony/ATV, UMPG and Warner/Chappell executives had privately said they were seeking rates of 10%-15% of iRadio's advertising revenue. But when Apple agreed to a 10% rate, Warner/Chappell last week signed the deal and now so has Sony/ATV.

With Universal Music Group chairman and CEO Lucien Grainge on board with the planned Apple service, its likely that UMPG's deal could be announced shortly, too.
Apple's iRadio service is expected to be announced at WWDC next week, with a launch later this year. Recent rumors have suggested that Apple is planning to offer the service for free, using revenue generated by ads to support the program.

Article Link: Apple Continues to Prep for iRadio Launch Next Week, Signs Sony Publishing

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
A friend said the other day: "If Apple wants to win this war they need to offer iRadio on all iPod's, meaning they need to build an Edge or 3G chip in the iPods and offer free internet for just the radio."

This would be awesome and would make them a winner! :D

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
The music industry will change for the better on Monday. I can't wait. i just hope Apple makes sure to keep it an iOS/OS X exclusive.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
/yawn. Radio was so 40 years. Streaming radio was so 10 years ago. Bored!

xtwentyseven

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Dallas, TX
Sounds more like Pandora than Spotify. I think they should offer a Spotify type program for $10/month, then allow you to purchase $10 worth of iTunes music for each month you pay for. It would stimulate people to purchase music again, while not paying more than they do for Spotify. Listen to as much as you want, keep the amount you paid for. The labels get their typical iTunes cut of the sales and Apple wins when someone lets a month go by without downloading their $10 worth, plus people will likely go a little over $10 on some months, which can be charged to their iTunes account in addition to the $10. Or even $15/month and let you download $10 worth still.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
If a service

1: makes me listen to ads

Or

2: puts up obstacles that stop me from listening to what I want

Then I'm not interested.

Spotify has everything I need

mickcordero

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Dont get it. Whats the deal with radio, when I can listen to what I want when I want with services like Spotify? Or am I missing something?

String

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I haven't listened toy music radio in years but I can see it being popular. I hope it's international and not just in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.