Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
We all know Apple will announce iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 at WWDC. But this will be the first time in a while (I think) that iOS has been announced by someone other than Forstall.

Here are my predictions for the whole presentation

Opening: Tim Cook
OS X: Craig Federighi
iOS : Jony Ive
Hardware: Phil Shiller (MBA, shipping now. MBP, Shipping soon. Completely new Mac Pro, shipping later this summer)
Closing: Tim Cook

I really want the iOS demo to be Jony Ive... but that may be too bold. He's not exactly a software guy. He can't talk the entire time about how beautiful it looks. So we'll see...

tonykaye

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
We all know Apple will announce iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 at WWDC. But this will be the first time in a while (I think) that iOS has been announced by someone other than Forstall.

Here are my predictions for the whole presentation

Opening: Tim Cook
OS X: Craig Federighi
iOS : Jony Ive
Hardware: Phil Shiller (MBA, shipping now. MBP, Shipping soon. Completely new Mac Pro, shipping later this summer)
Closing: Tim Cook

I really want the iOS demo to be Jony Ive... but that may be too bold. He's not exactly a software guy. He can't talk the entire time about how beautiful it looks. So we'll see...

I think Ive has to talk through some stuff. My guess is he'll maybe talk about it with someone else as a duo (to thunderous applause nonetheless!)

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
I think Ive has to talk through some stuff. My guess is he'll maybe talk about it with someone else as a duo (to thunderous applause nonetheless!)

I'm thinking that if Ive does anything, it'll be on a product video. Did they do a product video for iOS 6? I know that Ive wasn't involved in iOS 6, but did they do one with Forstall and gang? If they didn't I don't think they would do one for iOS 7. Probably as it won't be out of beta by WWDC.

However, if there is any hardware, we would have a greater chance of seeing a product video for that.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I don't think I've is a stage person. I don't know him - but he comes across as a behind the scenes guy.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I think Federighi. Jony won't be on stage. Just my two cents.

Do you seriously think they'd miss an opportunity such as having Jony Ive on stage, considering how much he's been mentioned? Unlikely; that'd be like not having the Queen at her coronation!

All this chatter about "Jony isn't a software guy" - hang on a minute - he's been working at Apple FOR YEARS, and guess what Apple make *apart* from hardware? Human beings aren't restricted to just *one* talent in life - that's not how it works. How do you know what training he has undergone, what his interests are, what he's been working on? Apple are not known for revealing *everything* about their employees, and apart from that, his personal interests are none of our business... so why would we be privy to them? Unless you know him personally, I'd advise against second-guessing what "kind of guy" he is, since we ONLY know what media tells us, right.

I'm "not a sushi guy", but I can still make sushi and then eat it.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I think Federighi. Jony won't be on stage. Just my two cents.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I haven't seen Ive onstage to present EVER. Jony will do a video and they'll play that, and that will probably be his contribution.

Anyone else think Cook will do it himself?

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
Do you seriously think they'd miss an opportunity such as having Jony Ive on stage, considering how much he's been mentioned? Unlikely.

Ive has been instrumental in several products; products that have put Apple on the map far greater than iOS 7. Ive hasn't appeared on stage ever as far as I can recall. The closest he's appeared on stage was during the first iPhone call and the first FaceTime call.

While I'm not going to say never, I'm confident he won't appear on stage. It's just not his thing.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Do you seriously think they'd miss an opportunity such as having Jony Ive on stage, considering how much he's been mentioned? Unlikely; that'd be like not having the Queen at her coronation!

Yes, I think they will miss an opportunity to have Jony onstage, for reasons stated above.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I'll put £100,000 in cash on the fact that he'll be on stage, or video-casting to stage, as this is a VERY big deal. Rumours are just that, and half of them are not thought out very well, it seems.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I'm guessing here. No idea who it will be.
I have heard Jony is a private guy who does not like the spotlight. If asked by his boss I'm sure he will present.

Last edited:

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
I think it's certainly an interesting topic. Thanks for all the good responses.

And another thing is I don't really think I can imagine Federighi introducing BOTH OS X and iOS. That should 60-70% of the presentation, and I don't think any one person would go for so long. What are your thoughts on that?

Fit iRadio somewhere :)

Haha, good point. But I'm guessings that'll be in the iOS 7 part.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I can see why people would assume Ive won't be on stage, but how many ever thought he'd have responsibility for software design? Just because someone hasn't been on sage before doesn't mean they'll never be onstage. Having Federighi present both iOS and OSX would have him up on stage almost the entire time. Maybe Apple will decide to split up the presentations with Ive talking about the new design of each and Federighi talking core functionality changes?

----------

I'm thinking that if Ive does anything, it'll be on a product video. Did they do a product video for iOS 6? I know that Ive wasn't involved in iOS 6, but did they do one with Forstall and gang? If they didn't I don't think they would do one for iOS 7. Probably as it won't be out of beta by WWDC.

However, if there is any hardware, we would have a greater chance of seeing a product video for that.

No, no video for iOS 6. But maybe if there's no new hardware worthy of a video they'll do one for iOS and OSX. I can't remember the last keynote Apple did where there was no video of something shown.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I think it's certainly an interesting topic. Thanks for all the good responses.

And another thing is I don't really think I can imagine Federighi introducing BOTH OS X and iOS. That should 60-70% of the presentation, and I don't think any one person would go for so long. What are your thoughts on that?

Haha, good point. But I'm guessings that'll be in the iOS 7 part.

I hope not :( I want it to launch with OS X too :((

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

No he doesn't.

And if Apple is smart he won't. The last thing they need is to replace the cult of Steve with the cult of Jony

----------

I'm guessing here. No idea who it will be.
I have heard Jony is a private guy who does not like the spotlight. If asked by his boss I'm sure he will present.

The boss he has worked with for decades will respect him enough not to ask

----------

Fit iRadio somewhere :)

iRadio is more an iTunes type thing. More likely to launch in the Fall where it can have more of the spotlight. Especially when it's not likely something developers need right now.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
The boss he has worked with for decades will respect him enough not to ask

I think you've got that totally back to front - why would he be disrespecting him? He's showing his main man and his amazing talents, off - it would be bizarre for Jony NOT TO BE on stage, considering all the hoo-haa being made about his design influence.

This is all speculative piffle. Who even knows? Wait and see.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I think it would be nice if he presented either iOS 7 as a whole or that he came up to the stage to talk about the redesign.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.