Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you believe the 5th gen iPad willstart out with 32GB?

• Yes

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 35 53.8%

• Total voters

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
With the size of most the media we store on our devices getting larger and larger, is it time to finally cut the cord on 16GB Devices? Atleast "retina" based ones.

Lefty21

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Lexington, KY
My guess is it will. Apple loves to have three configurations of things, and while the current iPad has four, the 128 GB option was added in the middle of the product cycle. My guess is the next one will have 32, 64 and 128 GB options.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
It would be a good move on Apple's part, but it's not going to happen.

I agree with you and the post a few up, Apple loves having 3 sizes, and I think it will be a great move on their part. I would almost be inclined to grab a 64gb LTE 5 if they made the 32gb standard $499. I know only time will tell, but man it's fun to wish. :)

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
I still think Apple will continue to offer a 16GB option for folks that only surf the net, play games and don't put loads of movies/music on their iPads. Some people are fine with it.

I just bought a 64GB iPad 4 which I'm thrilled with

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I still think Apple will continue to offer a 16GB option for folks that only surf the net, play games and don't put loads of movies/music on their iPads. Some people are fine with it.

They could have it so the old generation model they sell has the 16GB memory. And have you seen the size of some of the games lately? 16GB won't cut it for games.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009

Yeah, and for those there will be the iPad mini.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
They could have it so the old generation model they sell has the 16GB memory. And have you seen the size of some of the games lately? 16GB won't cut it for games.

Yeah, that's why I opted for a 64GB because the games/apps I like are quite large in size. The new Star Wars Old republic iPad only game is almost 2.5 gigs approximately

Last edited:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I think yes, for two reasons.

1) If there is a retina iPad Mini 16GB for $329-$399, they need to differentiate the larger iPad by more than just a bigger screen and a nebulous faster processor.

2) The introduction of the 128GB iPad mid cycle is a strong indicator as well. They did this before (I think with the iPhone 3G?) and with the next phone update the lowest capacity was dropped.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Apple did drop the 8GB iphones and iPods for 16gb. I strongly believe that the next iteration of iPads will oust the 16gb model, and that Apple will continue to increase the storage capacity in 2015.

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
I think so 32 gig flash costs a little more the 16 gig maybe a few bucks.
16 gigs is a thing of the past

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
I think so 32 gig flash costs a little more the 16 gig maybe a few bucks.
16 gigs is a thing of the past

I know it's Apple and they like the high Margins, but it's to the point where they could have 32GB as the standard size, lose a few dollars and keep people that much happier. I think the new direction of Apple is becoming a little bit more competitive and less "Oh we're Apple we don't have to have sales". Look at the new iPod touch coming out at a lower price point, the iPad mini price drops, iPhone 5's are actually on sale way before their replacements come out. I think they are becoming more aware of their surroundings and wanting to be a little bit more competitive.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Apple just took out the main camera in the new 16gb iPod touch, just to maintain margins. How will they give you an extra 16gb free and maintain margins? Those that like gaming can always buy the larger capacity ipads. 16gb suits the needs of a lot of people. I wish they would make 32gb the base, buy apple is not going to give you $100 for free.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Apple just took out the main camera in the new 16gb iPod touch, just to maintain margins. How will they give you an extra 16gb free and maintain margins? Those that like gaming can always buy the larger capacity ipads. 16gb suits the needs of a lot of people. I wish they would make 32gb the base, buy apple is not going to give you $100 for free.

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/pages/New-iPad-32-GB-4G-Carries-364-35-Bill-of-Materials.aspx
It's not a $100 loss for them building wise. In 2012 it was an estimated $16 difference, and the way storage prices have been dropping. I'm assuming it's a bit smaller of a margin this year.

128GB LTE @ $929 can't be selling well. I bought my open box MBA for $935... Price is getting to close to MBA MBP pricing and for the price I think most would go with a laptop. Something's gotta give :)

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/pages/New-iPad-32-GB-4G-Carries-364-35-Bill-of-Materials.aspx
It's not a $100 loss for them building wise. In 2012 it was an estimated $16 difference, and the way storage prices have been dropping. I'm assuming it's a bit smaller of a margin this year.

128GB LTE @ $929 can't be selling well. I bought my open box MBA for $935... Price is getting to close to MBA MBP pricing and for the price I think most would go with a laptop. Something's gotta give :)

It is a $100 loss on units that would have been bought for $600 by people who need the extra storage. That is what I was referring to in my first post and what I assume he was referring to as well.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I know it's Apple and they like the high Margins, but it's to the point where they could have 32GB as the standard size, lose a few dollars and keep people that much happier. I think the new direction of Apple is becoming a little bit more competitive and less "Oh we're Apple we don't have to have sales". Look at the new iPod touch coming out at a lower price point, the iPad mini price drops, iPhone 5's are actually on sale way before their replacements come out. I think they are becoming more aware of their surroundings and wanting to be a little bit more competitive.

"lose a few dollars" to keep people happier? That is just not apple at all, imo.

They love making high margin and thats what they will not change. Lower price ipod touch is still deem very overpriced for the lack of rear camera and the plasticky volume/power button. usd 229 is a crime.

Ipad mini price drop because people will soon realize apple compromised a lot on the material, thinner glass/wifi issue. Iphone 5 is still making great margin because it looks as if it is made cheaper than previous gen. Overall, apple devices gone cheaper (little) because there is no more oweee and wowww anymore since Jobs gone. It just smaller ipad/ bigger iphone all that they have. I, too, think that Ipad should start at 32GB because no one will just use their tablets to not play games, everybody play games otherwise it would just be another Netbook. 16GB is too small. But apple will never price 32gb same as 16GB, it would just go same or more expensive. Tim cook era products is lower quality/ more expensive.

zunairryk

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think 32gb will be the standard in the next gen ipad. Ipad mini has been hurting the retina ipad sales: therefore they will make 32gb retina ipad standard at $500 vs $329 for ipad mini. This is so people have more of a reason to go for the retina ipad

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Either 32GB @ $499 or 16GB and lower the price by $100. Other Android tablets offer that. Nexus 10 base is 16GB @ $399. Not going to get into iOS vs. Android, but the 16GB iPad is overpriced now regardless of the OS.

But it's Apple, so they probably won't and will continue to charge a premium for having the :apple: on it. If people are buying it, why change? :rolleyes: Kinda smart of Apple really. They know it's overpriced, but people continue to buy it. Cha CHING! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.