Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Listened to it about an hour ago, they didn't touch on iRadio unless I missed it.

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
Not able to listen to it at the moment, but can anyone summarize some of the things they talk about? Does he say anything specific?

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Not able to listen to it at the moment, but can anyone summarize some of the things they talk about? Does he say anything specific?

This is the description of the episode:

"Special guest John Moltz joins John Gruber for some pre-WWDC speculation. Will there be new Macs? Might Apple release an SDK and App Store for Apple TV, and if so, would it require a new remote control? All that and more, including this week’s allegations that the NSA is spying on US citizens’ cell phone usage and Internet data."

Also a lot of talk about Vesper, his new app.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Gruber's been told that all the iOS-related leaks are wrong and that iOS 7 will be "polarizing."

http://www.muleradio.net/thetalkshow/43/

Monday can't come soon enough!

iOS 7 may also included so-called polarizing filters, which will decrease the viewing angles of those looking over your shoulder, in turn affording you some privacy. There are plenty of screen protectors out there offering the same kind of thing, but native software improvements, particularly those pertaining to privacy, are always welcome to the party.

http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-7-gets-detailed-ahead-of-wwdc-2013-debut-heres-what-is-known-so-far/

I was really worried for a minute we'd getting features designed to appeal to non iOS/OS X users.

Last edited:

I listened to it as I went to sleep last night, but from what I remember the only real insider thing was that "all the leaks are wrong" and joked about iOS 7 increasing skeumorphism. He claimed he had zero information about the look or feel of iOS 7.

Talked on the rumors of refreshed MBA and possibility for a Mac Pro that uses thunderport for external expandability. Then the rest of the stuff the dude said above in the show notes.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
We're not talking about what he thinks. We're talking about what he heard.

:eek::eek::eek:

----------

In specific, he heard the new design is "polarizing" — nothing about "Flat" specifically.

Does that mean its on the other spectrum meaning that the UI style is completely different to what it was before. (Hard to explain).

Flat would be the total opposite of skeumorphism so I think the statement is quite similar.

Knosrac

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
Does that mean its on the other spectrum meaning that the UI style is completely different to what it was before. (Hard to explain).

Flat would be the total opposite of skeumorphism so I think the statement is quite similar.

Flat is NOT the opposite of skeumorphic!

Skeumorphic = Modeled after a real-world item
Flat = Untextured

Both of these buttons are skeuomorphic: They're modeled after a real-world button

Button 1, Button 2

One is flat, the other has texture

==============

Supposedly, Apple is simply toning down on skeuomorphic design at the same time as they are increasing flat design

/cheers!

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Flat is NOT the opposite of skeumorphic!

Skeumorphic = Modeled after a real-world item
Flat = Untextured

Both of these buttons are skeuomorphic: They're modeled after a real-world button

Button 1, Button 2

One is flat, the other has texture

==============

Supposedly, Apple is simply toning down on skeuomorphic design at the same time as they are increasing flat design

/cheers!

That would class as an opposite, you can't exactly have a design that's flat and skeumorphic. Unless you have an example :eek:.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
There haven't really been any leaks.

It seems people have just made educated guesses on the aesthetic of iOS because of the personnel changes.

And if all it is is a slight aesthetic change, it's not a big deal/leak anyway. A new user paradigm would be a bigger deal, but I haven't seen any leaks on that, either.

Tim Cook was actually good at "doubling down" on leaks.

I think Jon Gruber just managed to get a few more people to listen to his podcast. He didn't even say which leaks were wrong, in the short part I listened to. And he said it would be polarizing.

That's like going to a psychic who tells you something good is coming, but it may be difficult. Of course it will be polarizing, no matter what it is. I can't remember Apple releasing anything that wasn't met with polarizing response. Jon Gruber will be right no matter what happens because his claims would apply to almost any scenario.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm assuming when Gruber says polarizing he means some won't like it. Some won't like the design aesthetic. Others won't like that it's not Android and that they didn't do enough for power users.

I'm sure by the end of the day we'll be hearing how Apple is DOOMED and Tim Cook and Jony Ive need to be fired. :D

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm assuming when Gruber says polarizing he means some won't like it. Some won't like the design aesthetic. Others won't like that it's not Android and that they didn't do enough for power users.

I'm sure by the end of the day we'll be hearing how Apple is DOOMED and Tim Cook and Jony Ive need to be fired. :D

...and Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs, and Tim Cook isn't charismatic, and Tim Cook has a funny voice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.