Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
Hello,

In Dreamweaver, if i move a folder or file to another path, I get asked automagically if i want to change the link to that folder or file in all the files it exists.

Does that exist in Eclipse?

If not, is there a plugin I can install or something?

What i'm trying to do is change the current structure of

assets/js/site1/, assets/js/site2, assets/images/site1, assets/images/site2, etc

to something like assets/site1/..., assets/site2/...

Thanks for any help

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Sorry, can't help you on plugins but seems easy enough to me to use search and replace within the project (not one file or current file, I mean "project" which checks all files from docroot up? :cool:

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
Sorry, can't help you on plugins but seems easy enough to me to use search and replace within the project (not one file or current file, I mean "project" which checks all files from docroot up? :cool:

was looking for a more automated way, this is my last resort, i want to move a whole lot of files in different folders etc, i can't search-replace throughout the project for each file

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
was looking for a more automated way, this is my last resort, i want to move a whole lot of files in different folders etc, i can't search-replace throughout the project for each file

Dreamweaver does that by maintaining link states internally in a proprietary template system so link checking can be auto-corrected if link dependencies fail. Eclipse is noteworthy because it's Java based and runs on any platform making it easily scalable across nearly all platforms. Not because of its plugins.

Now don't take this the wrong way, I'm being brutally honest and factual here and it not an attack on YOU personally:

You might have a hard time finding plugins that auto-magically fix link dependencies because running a standard link checking report is usually all one needs to find/fix broken links. You described your site as "whole lot of files in different folders" which meant to me you have a ton of repetitious, broken links that need addressing after making changes. It also proves, without a doubt, that the site was poorly organized from the outset and it fails a lot of SEO best practices and standards in templating. For example, the menu system is not a centralized script and is in many folders, or articles with links to other articles are duplicated, or links in content area also in sidebars, headers or footers but not included dynamically. Plus many other reasons.

So in cases of badly organized sites with poorly defined or lack of coherent templating, the real fix is to run a detailed link checker report and find broken links and fix them, using global search and replace. Or, taking the time to redesign the site and improve SEO indexing and performance, if the client is willing to spend the money. If not, point it out to them. If you can't then the moral of this story is you can't easily automate a fix for a broken web site.

I want to be crystal clear this is not blaming or patronizing you in any way or saying you caused this. I thought carefully before responding in this manner, and after checkingt a list of Eclipse plugins at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eclipse-based_software and a few minutes Google searching. I failed finding anything, then realized you might be looking for something that doesn't exist to satisfy unfair client demands on something likely broken before you even saw the software. So with those assumption in mind, consider a quality link checker report as utility #1 in your toolbox in this situation.

Wouldn't hurt to check back here in a few days if time permits to see if any other suggestions from others, as I admit my assumptions are many. But I have this feeling I am right on track with this.... been there, done that.

Cheers, and thanks for listening.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
Dreamweaver does that by maintaining link states internally in a proprietary template system so link checking can be auto-corrected if link dependencies fail. Eclipse is noteworthy because it's Java based and runs on any platform making it easily scalable across nearly all platforms. Not because of its plugins.

Now don't take this the wrong way, I'm being brutally honest and factual here and it not an attack on YOU personally:

You might have a hard time finding plugins that auto-magically fix link dependencies because running a standard link checking report is usually all one needs to find/fix broken links. You described your site as "whole lot of files in different folders" which meant to me you have a ton of repetitious, broken links that need addressing after making changes. It also proves, without a doubt, that the site was poorly organized from the outset and it fails a lot of SEO best practices and standards in templating. For example, the menu system is not a centralized script and is in many folders, or articles with links to other articles are duplicated, or links in content area also in sidebars, headers or footers but not included dynamically. Plus many other reasons.

So in cases of badly organized sites with poorly defined or lack of coherent templating, the real fix is to run a detailed link checker report and find broken links and fix them, using global search and replace. Or, taking the time to redesign the site and improve SEO indexing and performance, if the client is willing to spend the money. If not, point it out to them. If you can't then the moral of this story is you can't easily automate a fix for a broken web site.

I want to be crystal clear this is not blaming or patronizing you in any way or saying you caused this. I thought carefully before responding in this manner, and after checkingt a list of Eclipse plugins at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eclipse-based_software and a few minutes Google searching. I failed finding anything, then realized you might be looking for something that doesn't exist to satisfy unfair client demands on something likely broken before you even saw the software. So with those assumption in mind, consider a quality link checker report as utility #1 in your toolbox in this situation.

Wouldn't hurt to check back here in a few days if time permits to see if any other suggestions from others, as I admit my assumptions are many. But I have this feeling I am right on track with this.... been there, done that.

Cheers, and thanks for listening.

Thank you very much for this, it's actually for the place where i work, it's an ATG multisite and over the years it's gotten messy and i was thinking it'd be a good time to start cleaning it up a bit. So i basically have to do this manually more or less then. Sucks but if that's the only way, i have to do it :)

Thanks again for an awesomely elaborate comment!:)

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Aha! I found a commercial product which you can pitch to the company to pay for if they have the budget:

http://www.linkfixerplus.com/

Download the trial version which has this limitation:

"The “Move/Rename” feature allows for the definition of rename rules and the preview of changes that would be made by the rename rules, but it will not actually implement changes to folders, files or links."

That seems to be exactly what you're looking for, set some rules, run the report and implement changes (when registered) otherwise preview so you know the product does what you want prior to purchase. Can't tell you about Eclipse integration if any, this seems like you'd export to HTML (of not already) and use this standalone. FYI.

;)

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
Aha! I found a commercial product which you can pitch to the company to pay for if they have the budget:

http://www.linkfixerplus.com/

Download the trial version which has this limitation:

"The “Move/Rename” feature allows for the definition of rename rules and the preview of changes that would be made by the rename rules, but it will not actually implement changes to folders, files or links."

That seems to be exactly what you're looking for, set some rules, run the report and implement changes (when registered) otherwise preview so you know the product does what you want prior to purchase. Can't tell you about Eclipse integration if any, this seems like you'd export to HTML (of not already) and use this standalone. FYI.

;)

They have the budget no doubt but most of the files are jsp and there's svn and various versions on various servers so exporting to HTML would be a no-no i guess. I'd need something that can - on me changing a file's location - find all links to that file in all the jsps and update them.
There are other dependencies from other UIs too, it's pretty complicated sadly :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.