Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Hi,

My iPhone 5's proximity sensor is always on although siri is disabled.

I tried, resetting, hard resetting and everything i can but nothing works, it is just always on.

??

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
What do you mean? Normally the behavior of the iPhone sensing the proximity of your face is that the screen shuts off so you can't activate any touch controls with your face by accident.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Normally it should be on when i am on a phone call ,but it is always on even when i am playing game, surfing web.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
So you mean the screen turns off on its own all the time?

i am not talking about screen, i am talking about the red light beside the speaker which is proximity sensor. That right light is always on when the phone is on. Normally this sensor should only be activated when i am on phone conversation or siri hand raise enabled ,but i cant get rid of that light noticiable in dark room.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
If I turn off all the lights in the room I can just barely see the red light from the sensor when Siri is enabled or on a call. It's barely discernible, though, so I'm not even 100% sure mine turns off when I end the call or cancel Siri. If yours is on but the screen isn't shutting off erratically then it sounds like it's working fine.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
It is reducing battery life which is already poor.

How can i de-activate it ?

It should be activated itself only when there is incoming phone call.

S

syd430

It is reducing battery life which is already poor.

How can i de-activate it ?

It should be activated itself only when there is incoming phone call.

If your screen is not actually turning off if you put your face near it, then I would say that it's not activated.

I know what you are saying with the light, but unless its actually disabling the screen, then I would say its normal behavior .

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
If your screen is not actually turning off if you put your face near it, then I would say that it's not activated.

I know what you are saying with the light, but unless its actually disabling the screen, then I would say its normal behavior .

Screen is turning of in case of an incoming call answered when I hold it to my ears. My point is, it should not be active all the time.

Cannot it automatically activate the sensor when there is incoming call and deactivate it when i hang up so does not reduce my battery life. ??

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
That is the brightness sensor, not proximity. And yes, it is always on. Proximity sensor turns the screen off like stated before. Unless the screen turns off when putting your finger close to it outside a call (issue that I have never heard before), the proximity sensor is off

DSF

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
That is the brightness sensor, not proximity. And yes, it is always on.
I've disable auto brightness. The red light is still on. And by touching the screen, it glows stronger...

Something is wrong..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.