Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The best app for note taking in iPad is:

• Notebooks for iPad

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • UPAD

Votes: 28 7.5%
  • neu.Notes

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Penultimate

Votes: 65 17.5%
  • FastFinga

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Noterize

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • Noteshelf

Votes: 49 13.2%
  • Note Taker HD

Votes: 43 11.6%
  • CourseNotes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PhatPad

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Notebooks for iPad

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • WritePad for iPad

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Other (Please mention)

Votes: 147 39.5%

• Total voters

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
everyone seems to love Noteshelf but it doesn't have the one thing I'm looking for which is conversion to text. is there a "second place" that has that feature? Notes Plus seems buggy from the reviews, which would be fine to test if it was a dollar or two but for $10 (including the conversion add-on) it's a "major" purchase.

I've just checked out hand writing to text conversion for 7NotesHD, Notes Plus and WritePad, my thoughts and some screenshots are here:

http://macademise.wordpress.com/201...-the-ipad-ii-hand-writing-to-text-conversion/

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Wow. I am absolutely blown away by Notes Plus. I had tried it before, but got pretty impatient when I saw that weird bar on the side of the screen and their folders UI (I prefer a bookshelf layout like Noteshelf or Goodnotes).

But I finally got fed up with Noteshelf and Goodnotes, and went on the hunt. This time I was looking for an app that converts handwriting to text on a semi-accurate level. I write pages and pages of notes on a weekly basis, and would like for my notes to be searchable. With my crappy handwriting, that's not going to happen unless I can convert it to text.

I tried 7Notes HD Premium, which was a waste of money. I also tried WritePad, which wasn't good either.

I went back to Notes Plus because I read that they have an add-on you can purchase that will convert handwriting. I was a little hesitant to try it again, but I took the plunge. Thankfully I had already paid for it, so all I had to do was purchase the $2 add-on. And wow, does it work!

My handwriting, honestly, is terrible:

photo1_zps6f8873af.png

The conversion (without any correction by me):

photo2_zps38cc56b9.png

This feature alone is worth the $10 total you'll have to pay, but the handwriting realism and ink engine are superb as well, about as good as you'll get with Noteshelf. You'll probably notice that the text isn't exactly on the line in the paper, but that's easily fixed by a two-finger tap on the text and moving it to wherever you want; it will settle in nicely.

And no, I don't work for them or even know the guy. I'm just happy to finally have found a note-taking app that gets the job done.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I like Evernote but it isn't worth the premium subscription.

However the cost of iA Writer is excellent. I believe I paid £0.69 for the iPhone/iPad app and £2.99 for the Mac app. It works perfectly with iCloud and the simple interface certainly invokes the notetaker in me!

At the minute, I use iA Writer for general note taking and Day One for everything else. If Evernote introduced an offline application which didn't involve a subscription and integrated iCloud, they'd win me over. Until then, I'm happy with this combination.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Wow. I am absolutely blown away by Notes Plus. I had tried it before, but got pretty impatient when I saw that weird bar on the side of the screen and their folders UI (I prefer a bookshelf layout like Noteshelf or Goodnotes).

But I finally got fed up with Noteshelf and Goodnotes, and went on the hunt. This time I was looking for an app that converts handwriting to text on a semi-accurate level. I write pages and pages of notes on a weekly basis, and would like for my notes to be searchable. With my crappy handwriting, that's not going to happen unless I can convert it to text.

I tried 7Notes HD Premium, which was a waste of money. I also tried WritePad, which wasn't good either.

I went back to Notes Plus because I read that they have an add-on you can purchase that will convert handwriting. I was a little hesitant to try it again, but I took the plunge. Thankfully I had already paid for it, so all I had to do was purchase the $2 add-on. And wow, does it work!

I'm indeed impressed by this conversion. So what will be your next step? Continue to use the existing notebooks with Noteshelf, and start up every new notebook with Notes Plus? AFAIK there's no real way to exchange data from one into another.
As for me personally, I still can't stand a second of Notes Plus interface.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I'm indeed impressed by this conversion. So what will be your next step? Continue to use the existing notebooks with Noteshelf, and start up every new notebook with Notes Plus? AFAIK there's no real way to exchange data from one into another.
As for me personally, I still can't stand a second of Notes Plus interface.

That's the sticky issue. I'm thinking that I'll probably just upload my Noteshelf notebooks and maybe even my Notes Plus notebooks in PDF format, and download them to this other app I'm using called pdf-notes for iPad. It's got a so-so UI, kind of like iBooks, and it's searchable by titles, author and, better yet, tags. It has super fast pdf rendering. The only bad thing is that I have to clear the cache occasionally because 300mb of pdf's will take up like 2GB of space in Settings/Usage, because it likes to open your pdf's 100% the first time, and keep the cache so that it renders fast every time you go back to it.

And yes, I agree on the Notes Plus interface. It's hideous, but the handwriting engine and conversion make up for it, in my opinion.

Bridgemakers

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Note Anytime for iPad is the best - hands down

Hi,

I have done an extensive search everywhere trying to find at least a real comparison between note taking apps for iPad but nothing helpful...

So I thought that the best way is to collect as much information as possible from the real people ...

I need an app that will help me in my Master studies, so it should replace the normal notebook, somehow...

also I need to be able to download pdf for mark up, export pdf, take pictures, type, handwriting using stylus, multipages, creating folders folders, wifi transfer, etc...

I have listed most of the known apps ... Please select the app you think that it is the best (not the app you use)

I listed some of the features for the sake of comparison (not in any particular order) ... please write about the app you use (you can add as you wish) ... and compare it to others if you have tried them ...

I think this thread will be very useful for those who are looking for such apps...

- Multiple pages
- Folders
- Keyboard typing
- Hand writing
- Hand writing recognition
- Audio recorder
- Text formating (Fonts, colors)
- Palm protection
- pdf export
- pdf notes
- powerpoint notes
- Image insert and taking photos
- Image resize and crop
- Writing resizer (zoom)
- Dropbox
- Universal (iPad & iPhone)
- WiFi files transfer
- Account Required?
- Shapes insert
- Paper templates
- Multitasking
- Password protection
- TV out
- Price

(I have duplicated "Notebooks for iPad" by mistake... until it's solved by moderators please select the first ...)

There is only one Note taker that has all the abilities you are looking for and that is Note Anytime. It is a free app, but it seems they should be charging a lot for it.

I think it is a Japanese developer, but I have to say that it totally rocks. I can do PDF annotation, web page markup, all of my note taking etc - but the thing that blows me away is the vector graphics that allow me to create mindmaps of photos, typed text, high res graphics and all of my hand drawn sketches i an infinite amount of whitespace.

Other note takers make me feel constrained to small little spaces. Since it is a free note taker and it works on my iPad as well as my Windows 8 tablet, I love it. Also, support for my Android phone seems to be coming next month... at least check it out

----------

There are a lot of note takers on the voting list, but it seems really odd to me that you didn't include Note Anytime. I have been using it for a couple months and I think it is by far the most feature rich free app I have ever found.

If you want perfect curve correction for bad handwriting, exotic calligraphy pens, PDF annotation ability and social sharing functions - how can you find everything you need in a free app?

Free usually means crappy app - but Note Anytime has the sophistication of a $20 app. I don't know how they make their money - but it looks like their is an in-app store to buy extra stuff. I have been telling everyone I know to download it while it is still free...

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
There is only one Note taker that has all the abilities you are looking for and that is Note Anytime. It is a free app, but it seems they should be charging a lot for it.

I think it is a Japanese developer, but I have to say that it totally rocks. I can do PDF annotation, web page markup, all of my note taking etc - but the thing that blows me away is the vector graphics that allow me to create mindmaps of photos, typed text, high res graphics and all of my hand drawn sketches i an infinite amount of whitespace.

Other note takers make me feel constrained to small little spaces. Since it is a free note taker and it works on my iPad as well as my Windows 8 tablet, I love it. Also, support for my Android phone seems to be coming next month... at least check it out

----------

There are a lot of note takers on the voting list, but it seems really odd to me that you didn't include Note Anytime. I have been using it for a couple months and I think it is by far the most feature rich free app I have ever found.

If you want perfect curve correction for bad handwriting, exotic calligraphy pens, PDF annotation ability and social sharing functions - how can you find everything you need in a free app?

Free usually means crappy app - but Note Anytime has the sophistication of a $20 app. I don't know how they make their money - but it looks like their is an in-app store to buy extra stuff. I have been telling everyone I know to download it while it is still free...

Are you the developer or affiliated with the app?

The customization of the ink is great, but the UI is the most disgusting I have ever seen; the folders UI is awful, the zoom advance feature is slow even when you adjust it to the fastest speed, and it's not exactly free. With all the add-ons you have to pay for just to get it comparable to GoodNotes or NoteShelf, you're looking at spending much more than those two do.

So. . . . .

Christa79

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013

----------

Totally NOT a developer or employed by Note Anytime but I must say that this really is the BEST note app for me! It really does do all the cool things that the previous post talks about. While there is a little bit of a learning curve, if you're anything like me and you've tried multiple note taking apps, it's not a big deal. And after spending a few days with the app I have yet to buy any add ons. Note Anytime is amazing and free!!!

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Totally NOT a developer or employed by Note Anytime but I must say that this really is the BEST note app for me! It really does do all the cool things that the previous post talks about. While there is a little bit of a learning curve, if you're anything like me and you've tried multiple note taking apps, it's not a big deal. And after spending a few days with the app I have yet to buy any add ons. Note Anytime is amazing and free!!!

Weird that both you and Bridgemakers registered this month, but I'm sure there's nothing to that. ;)

But seriously, I just don't get it. It's so clunky.... Have you tried annotating pdf's? They take forever to render.

Oh well. To each his or her own.

AdamC93

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Notable

Call me biased, but I created Notable for iPad and designed it as a product I use myself in University. Here's a link to the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/notable/id621960785?mt=8

It has two methods of storing notes, one, a timetable of dates which can be shared across one appointment. So for example, say I had two of the same lecture in one week, no matter which date I select, all of the relevant notes are there.

The second is a bookshelf of notebooks. These notebooks are beautiful in my opinion (if I do say so myself).

It's easy to use and I've just made it free to use too!

There's also an update coming soon which includes full iPhone and iCloud support :)

I always love hearing feedback so please don't worry about sending me some!

mzl.ggqlzsyq.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.ivxytaez.480x480-75.jpg

Last edited:

Gyffes

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Indeed, that looks lovely; I've downloaded it, will play with it later. One question for now: what formats does it open? Can I "open in Notable" RTF or Doc files? Images, PDFs?

As to some of the other applications listed so far.. I've tried most (been using iPod Touch since the first one and note taking has been my main use) and currently bounce among several.

I love AwesomeNote, esp for its Evernote & gDocs integration (though I wish it hadn't grown so much.. it's moving away from clean and simple in an attempt to DO EVERYTHING).

I love Notebooks, clean and easy to use with great Open From... integration. And it's really stayed focused on being a Notebook.

I use Byte2's Office suite, I find it does basic .doc editing Just Fine.

Textastic is my code ground of choice.

I have Circus Ponies' Notebook on both Mac and iPad but just can't embrace it.. feels like there's too many steps 'tween me and writing. I use Evernote for its insane cross-platformness, I toss content into gDocs whereever I am and then import it from each into AwesomeNote. I paste long text (or open text files from within Dropbox) into Notebooks.

And, with bluetooth external keyboard, you have that much more screen space free for reading/writing.

I'll look into Notable -- it's a pretty interface -- but it's got some serious company.

I've used countless others, these are the ones I keep coming back to.

AdamC93

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Indeed, that looks lovely; I've downloaded it, will play with it later. One question for now: what formats does it open? Can I "open in Notable" RTF or Doc files? Images, PDFs?

I'll look into Notable -- it's a pretty interface -- but it's got some serious company.

No, it only manages its own type of document at the moment - but apart from branching out to different devices like the iPhone (including iCloud) I'm looking at some important features in terms of importing and other features.

bkkissel

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
What is the handwriting conversion add-on you refer to below...

My handwriting, honestly, is terrible:

The conversion (without any correction by me):

This feature alone is worth the $10 total you'll have to pay, but the handwriting realism and ink engine are superb as well, about as good as you'll get with Noteshelf. You'll probably notice that the text isn't exactly on the line in the paper, but that's easily fixed by a two-finger tap on the text and moving it to wherever you want; it will settle in nicely.

And no, I don't work for them or even know the guy. I'm just happy to finally have found a note-taking app that gets the job done.[/QUOTE]

miguelfp1

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
What is the handwriting conversion add-on you refer to below...

Notes Plus has an add-on available, as an in-app purchase that enables handwriting recognition so it can be converted to text.

This is taken from their FAQ: Tap Tools (top-left wrench icon) > Purchase handwriting recognition. Tap on “Purchase” to confirm your purchase and follow the process. Make sure to enter your username/password that you used to purchase Notes Plus originally. Wait a while for the transaction to complete.

Soraya

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2013
My vote for best note taking in iPad

Hi guys!

Your apps selection are insteresting, but personnaly, i use an other app for taking notes on my iPad, it's called Beesy. I discovered Beesy thanks to Evernote Blog few weeks ago now. If you are looking for an app for taking notes, import and annotate documents, and host all your data with Evernote or DropBox i advice you this one.

richimages

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Southeastern US
Wow ... Things have changed with this thread. It used to be understood that this was a thread about handwriting apps only .... Perhaps it should have been named it handwriting apps. I can see how easy it is to include other apps given the current name.

nyjets

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2011
CT
I tried a bunch of different apps during the first semester of college this past year and by second semester I was just using Notability. Definitely does what I need it to the best.

WingedWheel

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
Chicagoland
Goodnotes is the best I've come across. UPad is a close second and DocAS is a distant 3rd. Notes Plus is WAY overrated.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Gossip

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
What can you advice for noting and keeping these notes in the Cloud? Evernote? GoogleDrive? I need to have access to my notes from any device connected to the Internet.

Soraya

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2013
My advice

What can you advice for noting and keeping these notes in the Cloud? Evernote? GoogleDrive? I need to have access to my notes from any device connected to the Internet.

Hi Gossip, I recommended a little higher to take a look at the app Beesy, you can access all your notes thanks to the synchronization with Evernote and Dropbox.

I hope my answer will be helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.