Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrenchPB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Hi guys,

I have a 15" powerbook 1.5Ghz 1Go Ram bought in June 2004. I use it all the time and travel a lot. I ve always taken great care of my PB and it looks like new... however, for te past few weeks, I started to have a few problems with it.

When I turn it on after a few hours off, the colours on the screen looks really weird like it's a VGA screen.. plenty of purple blue pixels flashing everywhere on the screen.. it's really weird and my guess is that the cable is damaged. After a efw minutes, it will get back to normal or after I close and reopen it...

I also noticed that my HD was having trouble reading information. It would basically get stuck making some weird noise. The screen doesn t move at all until the data was read. Couldn't even restart it or switch application... then today, it took my PB 5 minutes to start. When I looked at the disk utility, it was written that there was a fatal error and that it had to be replaced. S.M.A.R.T. error...

I took the Apple Care 2yr extension when I bught it so my PB is still udner guarantee. However, I bought it in France and now live in Australia. I have the Apple Care CD with me but not the box, user manual or bill...

Since I never had any problem earlier (fierst time Mac users), I don t know what to do to get my PB fixed. It's terrible for me cause need it to study for my Master and all my exams. I have a few questions for you (and millions of thanks for those of you who will have taken time to read this and help me):

- What should I do with my PB?
- Should I go to an Apple reseller if there is no Apple store (I live in Brisbane)?
- Should I call Apple before doing anything?
- How long does it take for them to correct problems like this?
- Is it possible to have a replacement for the time being (I know I'm dreaming, but Apple is so great that you never know.. ;)
- Will they transfer all my data for the damaged HD to the new one if they change it?

Wll, I'm just lost and confused cause I don't know what to do, and I' really stressed concerning my studies and all... I have all my data saved on an external HD so that's a good thing, but with your help I'd like to do all I can as soon as possible to get this situation resolved.

Once again thanks to the great community of this website for taking time to helping me out here.

Cheers,

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
FrenchPB said:
- What should I do with my PB?
Send it to Apple. See below.
- Should I go to an Apple reseller if there is no Apple store (I live in Brisbane)?
No. Just call Apple tech support in your country. Look up their number.
- Should I call Apple before doing anything?
Yes. Report your situation, and tell them you need it repaired. They'll send you a box with instructions, you'll put your PowerBook and power adapter in it, and send it back (pre-paid).
- How long does it take for them to correct problems like this?
Both times I've sent in my PowerBook it's been back in two days. Can't speak for your specific situation.
- Is it possible to have a replacement for the time being (I know I'm dreaming, but Apple is so great that you never know.. ;)
Not to my knowledge. For me it was so fast that I just survived.
- Will they transfer all my data for the damaged HD to the new one if they change it?
No. If it's un-bootable, I doubt your data is easily retrievable. Apple is a computer manufacturer, not a data recovery company. Since you have the files backed up, this isn't a big deal.

FrenchPB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Thanks for the information. I'm concerned about the applications on my HD though. Since I currently live in Australia, I don't have all my installation DVDs (they're all in France). How can I back up applications if possible? Could I basically make an image of my HD and directly copy it to the new harddrive?

Today I was able to get the PB started but the HD status in disk utility is still the same and it's written it has to be replaced...

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
FrenchPB said:
Today I was able to get the PB started but the HD status in disk utility is still the same and it's written it has to be replaced...
DON'T KEEP STARTING IT UP, unless you have a way to get the data off right then. The more you run it at this point, the closer you get to total hard drive failure and losing all your data irrevocably (without resorting to VERY expensive data recovery methods). As for your installation CDs, I'm not sure what to tell you. You'll need at least the system recovery DVD (or any subsequent OS X install discs you've bought since, if applicable). Why didn't you bring them along? Maybe you can have someone send them to you when you send your laptop away.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I agree, it's best to not keep starting it up. You should take it to a local Apple reseller. They have be able to transfer all your data from the old HD to the new one. If so you should be alright without your CD's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.