Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Anyone own not just the latest iPhone 5 but also a 5th generation iPod touch?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Anyone own an iPod touch in addition to an iPhone?

Yup:)
iPhone 5 16GB Black
iPod touch 5G 32GB Blue

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Black iPhone 5 (16GB), Black iPod touch 5G (64GB)

Phone for basic apps, social networking, calling and texting.

iPod touch full of music, video and games.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I think you should only own a touch if you have a blackberry or android. I never see anyone have the iphone/ipod touch combo. However, everybody have their own reasons.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
nice to see all the answers. I'm thinking of getting a nice white and silver iPod touch to complement my white and silver iPhone 5 :D

Add a white iPad mini and a white iPad 4, I like the color consistency :D

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
i own a 4S and an IPT 4G.

very happy with them both, even though my IPT complains at the newest apps every now and again; but i dock it at home to play music (or via bluetooth) and that keeps my iphone free for calls etc. its also handy to play games such as angry birds, tetris etc. when i dont want to use my phones battery.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I have the Touch Gen3 (64gb) and the iPhone 4s (32gb). The Touch is what convinced me (along with the RIM decline) to move from a BB to iPhone. The Touch is 3+ years old and going strong, so no need to dump it. :cool: Admittedly, I'll probably consolidate to just the 64gb iPhone 5s or whatever it's going to be called. If they come out with a 128gb iPhone I will definitely go with that and use the Touch in my car and existing sound doc at home. :D

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Black iPhone 5 (16GB), Black iPod touch 5G (64GB)

Phone for basic apps, social networking, calling and texting.

iPod touch full of music, video and games.

Same boat here. I use the phone as an everyday device where I run my life from. The iPod I only use for music and the occasional browsing here and there.

reyzor82

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
I got an iPhone 5 32g so my 4s 16g acts like an iPod touch for me but I rarely use it now..

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Black iPhone 5 64GB and a Black iPod Touch 5G 64GB. I use (and love) both of them equally.
(Sorry, forgot I already replied to this thread.)

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I don't own a iPod touch but do own a Nano and a 160gb iPod classic. Each has a use. I don't really use my phone to listen to music.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I own a very old iPod Shuffle, and 4th iPod Touch and an iPhone 4S.

To be completely honest, the iPod Touch is the most useless. It feels a little too redundant with the iPhone. I only have one because I traded my sibling for it to use as a remote.

It doesn't serve any other purpose. It's too big to go running with (which the iPod Shuffle is for), and it's too small to read with (which an iPad would be great for). It doesn't make calls and I can't get to my messages as freely like an iPhone. I think I use it to save battery on my iPhone, but that's really unnecessary at home. I never bring it outside with me.

I'm not so sure taking out the rear camera on the new iPod Touch is a great idea as it was a great point and shoot camera. I would think taking it out from the iPad makes far more sense since people just look ridiculous taking pictures with an iPad.

Any how, that's just my honest opinion about owning an iPod Touch and an iPhone. I hope no one takes offence in my comments.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
I'm not so sure taking out the rear camera on the new iPod Touch is a great idea as it was a great point and shoot camera. I would think taking it out from the iPad makes far more sense since people just look ridiculous taking pictures with an iPad.

I agree. I find it pretty funny looking seeing people take pics holding up a big iPad.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I own both, and then some.

The Touch is a media device, and I use it most often (but not only) as a meditation timer, or when I want to see a TV episode in a situation where the iPad is too big or clumsy to pull out. It has other uses - music tuner, metronome, for example, or checking mail, but the first ones mentioned are the main ones. I can use it till the battery wears out, without being worried about my phone battery being depleted.

I have an iPhone 4 for work. This is because 1) I want to keep my personal and work phones separate, 2) my workplace doesn't allow use of the carrier I have for my personal phone, and 3) I happened to be using Android already for my personal phone and wanted to continue. The iPhone serves my purposes well as a work phone, and is used almost exclusively for work mail and calendar, though I do have a little music on it just in case I'm in a situation where I'm bored and want to hear some tunes.

Most of my personal phone needs are met by my Note II, which I love for various reasons.

The "and then some" part:

I also have an iPod Nano from a few years back (the small square one that can show video as well). Use that for audiobooks, about an hour or so a day. Works great, very tiny, I love it.

Basically, each one has such an individual role that it complements the others pretty well.

tl;dr: I have both because I like to use the Touch without it draining my phone battery.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Figured it out. The iPod Touch is great when you want to go on a trip and don't want to lose/drop/damage your phone. It has most of the functions and the camera isn't terrible. It's not great, but it's not terrible.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Figured it out. The iPod Touch is great when you want to go on a trip and don't want to lose/drop/damage your phone. It has most of the functions and the camera isn't terrible. It's not great, but it's not terrible.

I don't think I would want to loose or drop my touch either. I would use the device with the best camera, which would be the iPhone. Makes no sense using the touch for pics when you have an iPhone with a much better camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.