Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Has anyone swapped their unlimited data plan from their iPhone to their iPad? I didn't realize it could be done until a rep suggested it tonight. I usually use 1-2GB on my phone and if I really and I mean really try, then I can use over 3 but I have to work at it.

My kids use the iPad for Netflix and things like that so it gets more data use. The only drawbacks that I see are -

1 - I'll have to swap phone numbers so my cell number will be that of the iPad.

2 - Facetime might be limited but I've recently been able to make FT calls on my iPhone with the Unlimited plan so I think that will be ok.

What do you think?

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I remember reading that someone who did that got a notice from AT&T with a warning

I could be wrong though - but those store reps are more sales people than they are service so don't take their word for it

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I called ATT's customer service dept (611). The person that I talked to suggested it. I believe he said that he did it.

I wasn't aware that it could be done until he mentioned it and I asked if I could swap back later if I wanted to and not use my Unlimited plan. He said yes. All good as long as I don't give up the plan.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
If you end up trying it please let us know if you get any notices from AT&T
Would be interested to know

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I stopped into an AT&T store today to ask. I was told the same thing, it would just be a matter of swapping numbers and between the devices. The plans would follow them.

I'm going to check this out when I have a few extra minutes. I'm wondering if I can set up my current cell number to call forward to the iPad number if I swap the numbers?

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I stopped into an AT&T store today to ask. I was told the same thing, it would just be a matter of swapping numbers and between the devices. The plans would follow them.

I'm going to check this out when I have a few extra minutes. I'm wondering if I can set up my current cell number to call forward to the iPad number if I swap the numbers?

Definitely not doable. I put an ipad sim in a phone one time and all texts and calls are blocked. You can, however, forward the calls to a landline or a phone you'll be near while you do the swap

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I asked that very question to an AT&T rep at a company store about 7 months ago and they said it wasn't possible to transfer an unlimited data plan from an iPhone to an iPad. However, maybe things changed.

I'd also be interested to know if you get them to do it!

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I have a semi-similar question:

I have an iPhone 5 on AT&T and I'm grandfathered with unlimited data. Would it be possible for me to get unlimited data on a new iPad?

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012

I have an iPhone 5 on AT&T and I'm grandfathered with unlimited data. Would it be possible for me to get unlimited data on a new iPad?

You can try going to a store and sweet talking them to get a rep on the phone to do if for you but other than that, no way. It's not profitable enough for them

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA

That's what I have and was told that it can be done. Both by calling AT&T and when I stopped into an AT&T store a few days ago. Each person said that the plans can be swapped between devices. It would be a matter of swapping numbers so your phone would have the iPad's number. The plans follow the phone number.

I'm trying to decide if I want to give up the number that I've had forever.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Update - I decided swapping plans between devices will be the best thing for me. I hardly broke 2 gig when my phone wasn't being used for Netflix so a 3GB plan will be fine on that. The iPad needs a lot of data because my kids use it for Netflix when we are out plus I can use that for anything so I won't be limited.

I called AT&T today to get the scoop and was told that it can't be done. Huh!? A guy at AT&T (611) suggested it to me, I confirmed that it could be done at an AT&T store and now I'm told that it can't be done! My new month starts on Thursday so I'll be going to the AT&T store that I stopped into to see about doing the swap. If it happens, this will be a good way to weed out friends that no longer need my number! :)

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Update - I decided swapping plans between devices will be the best thing for me. I hardly broke 2 gig when my phone wasn't being used for Netflix so a 3GB plan will be fine on that. The iPad needs a lot of data because my kids use it for Netflix when we are out plus I can use that for anything so I won't be limited.

I called AT&T today to get the scoop and was told that it can't be done. Huh!? A guy at AT&T (611) suggested it to me, I confirmed that it could be done at an AT&T store and now I'm told that it can't be done! My new month starts on Thursday so I'll be going to the AT&T store that I stopped into to see about doing the swap. If it happens, this will be a good way to weed out friends that no longer need my number! :)

Found out the way you did. Some reps just do not know the answer to a question, and later finding out one cannot do this. Always get a supervisor, than hold your breath, because it still may not be true....

BtradI1

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
My experience with AT&T and Verizon

I haven't had an AT&T phone before but I hear that it cannot be done under any circumstance. The only way your going to get unlimited data on AT&T on an iPad is to buy the grandfathered month to month playoff Craigslist or eBay. They run for $500 last I checked, and $30 a month. Make sure you have all the right info if/when you do the transfer.

Now at the moment I'm typing this on my iPad on Verizon with it's unlimited data plan. I had it on a LTE phone and just moved the sim over to the iPad. That simple. I use about 250-480GB a month on the plan haven't heard from Verizon at all.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I don't remember exactly what the people in the store said had to be done, but I believe they say the sims needed to be replaced or swapped. Maybe I should just try swapping sims on Thursday.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1115472/

Warning. Att will send u a nasty text to stop and than disable your data the rest of the month.

Don't do it.

This is the reason I have a verizon LTE iPad. Verizon by FCC agreement cannot disable or stop LTE sim switching. So I can verizon LTE sim (unlimited data) from my phone in my verizon LTE iPad. Verizon cannot disable my data. That's the real reason verizon forces people off unlimited data if they use subsidy upgrade.

ATT does not have this agreement with FCC. So they can and will eventually block your data if you do this. And they can kick u off unlimited data if you continue to switch from iPhone to iPad.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Well... I can confirm that it can't be done through AT&T. I went to my local AT&T store today and thought everything was going to be good. The person that I talked to said that there was a way to do it. He swapped the numbers between the devices, activated the phone but couldn't activate the iPad. He tried it a few ways with no success. After that failed he suggested that I call AT&T because they can do more than a store can so I did that. Again, it got close and I thought it was going to work but no luck. The rep told me that it could be done if I was swapping the plan to another phone but it can't be swapped to an iPad. So... everything pretty much went back to normal.

But, I was able increase my data plan from 3GB to 5GB for an extra $8.50 per month. I get a 23% discount through the company that I work for. That discount doesn't apply to the 3GB plan but it does apply to the 5GB plan (strange). I wish I would have known that before. I was told that it didn't apply to the iPad's plan I had but nobody told me that it would apply to the next one up. So I bumped up my plan and all should be good.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Well... I can confirm that it can't be done through AT&T. I went to my local AT&T store today and thought everything was going to be good. The person that I talked to said that there was a way to do it. He swapped the numbers between the devices, activated the phone but couldn't activate the iPad. He tried it a few ways with no success. After that failed he suggested that I call AT&T because they can do more than a store can so I did that. Again, it got close and I thought it was going to work but no luck. The rep told me that it could be done if I was swapping the plan to another phone but it can't be swapped to an iPad. So... everything pretty much went back to normal.

But, I was able increase my data plan from 3GB to 5GB for an extra $8.50 per month. I get a 23% discount through the company that I work for. That discount doesn't apply to the 3GB plan but it does apply to the 5GB plan (strange). I wish I would have known that before. I was told that it didn't apply to the iPad's plan I had but nobody told me that it would apply to the next one up. So I bumped up my plan and all should be good.

It wasnt working because you had to change your apn from "broadband" to something else which you can find at http://www.unlockit.co.nz

KingFudd

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
This is still the same case with AT&T correct? Can't put nano sim from iPhone to iPad air?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.