Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
this is what i want to see:

note that the buttons would glow like the brightness ones on the *old* apple cinema displays. for those of you who dont know, they light up bright then fade down when pressed, like the power buttons on some macs. i guess maybe mute and num lock would stay glowing at a low level while activated.

alpowerbook2.jpg

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
i forgot the reason... half of you know it already.

if youve ever used a powerbook and reached for the f10 key to activate exposé, but instead turned up the brightness of the keyboard backlight, if youve ever reached for the publish shortcut key in flash, shift+f12, and activated dashboard... in... slow... motion... mode, then you understand why this would be a lot of peoples favorite powerbook change. i know it would be mine.
i want my function keys back ive (as in jonathon)!

new powerbook keyboard layout this tuesday!!!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Uh...

Seriously? What a waste of space....why not just switch the functions keys?

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
appleretailguy said:
...why not just switch the functions keys?

Because I use the Brightness/Volume keys as regularly as I use the Function Keys (Exposé and Dashboard, as well as a whole lot of Pro Tools hotkeys). chaos86 has the right idea, but I'm sure Apple could find a less obtrusive way of implementing it :)

kb9wte

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2005
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. One of the first things I did with my PowerBook was switch it so you press the Fn key to change brightness, volume, etc.

System Prefrences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > Use F1-F12 keys to control software features

warcraftmaster

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2003
here
sweet

sweet you make that put a patent on it or should i ;) ? with that you can get rid of the fn butten and you could put the eject there too

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Looks good. A little dodge though. Maybe at the top or bottom of the screen would be good too :) (instead that is.. we don't need 3 of each button :p)

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
wel of course its an idea in progress. and i did just copy the symbols off of the function keys. and no, there would not need to be a function key any more but i dont feel like fixing it right now.

out of interest, does anyone ever use the display switch button (function of F7)?

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Erendiox said:
... F7 does something? :D

with 2 screens plugged in it switches between screen 1, dual display, screen 2, and video mirroring, in no apparent logical order.

but noone i know ever uses it; the 'detect displays' option in the displays menu bar menu finds any displays and goes to dual display mode with them. and those i know who use mirroring just go into the display pref pane.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
chaos86 said:
wel of course its an idea in progress. and i did just copy the symbols off of the function keys. and no, there would not need to be a function key any more but i dont feel like fixing it right now.

out of interest, does anyone ever use the display switch button (function of F7)?

Mirror image on the PB screen is wrong :p
Shows what the PB should look like..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.