Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Thats apple waving goodbye to the rest of the holdout professionals praying for a updated mac pro. I waved goodbye awhile back and built my own. Never looked back.

You're going to kick yourself when it's released. But I know Apple waited a long time, and some people couldn't wait.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
You're going to kick yourself when it's released. But I know Apple waited a long time, and some people couldn't wait.

Would gladly kick myself instead of seeing so many folks screwed over by apple for dragging out the possibility of an updated mac pro. I really enjoyed my 2008 octo but the apple tax to afford a new one was out of my reach as was for many. Lets hope apple does something, one way or the other.

polak9pete

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
i love how as of 11:09 pm there are 42 pages of comments about a banner hung up before an event. thats awesome.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
This can only mean: Aqua is dead.

Well I'll be...you're a frickin genius, no jokes. I've studied that photo way too many times and I hadn't thought of that. I sure hope you're right, I've been on Mac for 15 years so I've been around since OS X's inception and I'm very done with aqua. Thumbs up to you. :)

----------

i love how as of 11:09 pm there are 42 pages of comments about a banner hung up before an event. thats awesome.

Well you can't blame people for being excited. I mean, I for one am very tired of the anti-Apple crowd saying how tired, aged and boring OS X and iOS are. Tired of the endless ranting about no new Mac Pro's being in sight, the iPhone is too small, iWork is way too long in the tooth (which it seriously is) and the rest, yada yada yada. Hopefully WWDC will put most of this to rest. :)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Wow, so wrong. Puma is 10.1, lets say that again "ten point one" but your token iOS 6.2 was actually iOS 62?
My god, that's what you thought I meant? That I don't know how numbers work? Get a grip. Insulting bs.

Mac started in 1984 with OS 1.0, maybe you didn't know that. Follow the timeline from there. Out.

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
Simple: Crossing out the water. Goodbye Aqua.

Aqua is the whole windowing system, not just the artwork. And if they're going flat, I don't think they can simply tread into Microsoft's patents and copyrights, and look like them.

HarryT

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
Aqua is the whole windowing system, not just the artwork. And if they're going flat, I don't think they can simply tread into Microsoft's patents and copyrights, and look like them.

Yes but Aqua is primarily the design - it was meant as a tribute to water (hence the name) with droplets and shine on elements. You can still see this in many items on the OS. For example in Messages (both iOS and OSX) you see it has a gloss over each message. This is from when the Aqua interface was first introduced (like in the scrollbars).

In my opinion Apple's WWDC banner for OSX is a small tribute to Aqua in that its been a long standing theme of the operating system but now its done. The X symbolises the OS and the fact that its crossing out a wave. The wave (water) is saying its a fresh start and washing away the old.

So with that in mind I believe we will see the removal of all gloss (aqua styled elements). They already started that with Lion and the introduction of iOS scrollbars etc.

Terrified

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Potentially silly question, but have we actually had any confirmation that the next version will be 10.9? I'm sure Cook just announced the 'future of OS X' at AtD. Is it possible that this could be a leap beyond an x.x increment?

Can't remember if we've sent the usual slew of '10.x appearing in logs' stories that we usually get predating this sort of announcement. Happy to be wrong though (rusty memory).

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
This thread should have a blinking popup stating "Yes.... We know......" come up each time people enter "sea lion" in the text field.

And a counter prehaps. It must have hit 1.000 mentions now.

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
It's a bt thin to speculate on, but next OS naming group to replace cats...
New Wave
Next Wave
Rouge Wave
Tidal Wave...

Or maybe surf breaks?
Ho'okipa
Sunset
Waimea
Peahi
Mavericks
Steamer Lane
Bells

Ok, well not just surf breaks, but I did call Mavericks :)

Here's hoping they never call an OS X release Disney Land.

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Hmm. Just woke up. Another 10 years of OS X.

----------

I call Sequoia.

It's interesting, framing it as California leaves things wide open.
Yosemite, Sequoia, Mt. Whitney, Big Sur, etc... all sound good, but they could just as easily include Hollywood, Golden Gate, etc...

Time will tell.. I did love the Sea Lion joke, nice to see them joke around a bit.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
I did love the Sea Lion joke, nice to see them joke around a bit.

That was my favorite part of the keynote, I burst out laughing when that came up. It's great to see that Apple has a sense of humor. Looks like lots of people have joked about it on MacRumors going way back to mackmgg in 2009 — maybe Apple reads MR? :eek:

We'll have to see how Mavericks catches on. I guess that will have to do more with the final feature set and how well it performs than the name of the OS — I hope at least! :D

The Deepness

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
Good call!

Ok, well not just surf breaks, but I did call Mavericks :)

Not being intimately familiar with California locations, knowing nothing about surfing, and having never heard of the place, I wouldn't have come up with Mavericks in a million years! I do like the name though, and it's appeal is growing on me more and more as it settles in.

I loved how Federighi joked about Sea Lion being the new name. Wouldn't be surprised if they added that to the keynote after this thread blew up over the weekend.

Good times! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.