Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Been thinking about getting one of these for my 3.06 gig 12 core Mac Pro. Really don't know much about SSD's. what's this all about the write cycles will eventually kill the drive? How can I clone only the OS, and just Lightwave 3d to the drive?

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Been thinking about getting one of these for my 3.06 gig 12 core Mac Pro. Really don't know much about SSD's. what's this all about the write cycles will eventually kill the drive? How can I clone only the OS, and just Lightwave 3d to the drive?

Go for it. Hey, if you do do us a favor and time the SSD on and off that card and compare the results. It would be interesting to compare boot times, shut-down times, application load times and such.

For selective "cloning" I've used CCC to good result a few times.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Go for it. Hey, if you do do us a favor and time the SSD on and off that card and compare the results. It would be interesting to compare boot times, shut-down times, application load times and such.

For selective "cloning" I've used CCC to good result a few times.

What is CCC?

Boomhowler

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
I'd assume that boot times is better with a SATA drive since the PCI startup takes some extra time. My experience is that a macbook air is much quicker to start than a "barebones" mac pro with an accelsior (I have a 2008 MP with an accelsior, takes rather long time to start up compared to when I had a samsung 830 in it). It's not "HDD"-slow, but still, slower than a normal SATA SSD.

But after boot time it's amazing.

----------

What is CCC?

Carbon Copy Cloner, similar software to Superduper!

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I'd assume that boot times is better with a SATA drive since the PCI startup takes some extra time. My experience is that a macbook air is much quicker to start than a "barebones" mac pro with an accelsior (I have a 2008 MP with an accelsior, takes rather long time to start up compared to when I had a samsung 830 in it). It's not "HDD"-slow, but still, slower than a normal SATA SSD.

But after boot time it's amazing.

----------

Carbon Copy Cloner, similar software to Superduper!

Have you had any problems with it? I assume you can copy things from it to other internal or external drives

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Have you had any problems with it? I assume you can copy things from it to other internal or external drives

Yep, you can. And nope, no problems. It's been around for a very long time - I dunno 15 years? More? and has been sensibly upgraded (not adding useless junk in sacrifice of stability). About 5 or 6 years ago it was considered one of the must-have applications for Mac users. I guess Apple's migration tool quenched the need somewhat and these days I don't see it being mentioned (all the time) like it used to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.