Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

2013_mac_pro.jpg
At today's WWDC keynote event, Apple offered a sneak peek of its next-generation Mac Pro, a line of desktop computers that has not received a significant update in several years. The preview began with a teaser video showcasing the radically redesigned tubular tower.
The next generation Mac Pro is architected around an ingenious unified thermal core that allows the desktop to efficiently share its entire thermal capacity across all the processors. The result is a pro desktop with breakthrough performance packed into a design that is one-eighth the volume of the current Mac Pro. Next generation Intel Xeon E5 processors with up to 12 core configurations deliver double the floating point performance. With two AMD FirePro workstation-class GPUs, the all-new Mac Pro is up to 2.5 times faster than the current Mac Pro and delivers up to an amazing 7 teraflops of compute power. The new Mac Pro also features PCIe-based flash storage that is up to 10 times faster than conventional desktop hard drives and includes the latest four-channel ECC DDR3 memory running at 1866 MHz to deliver up to 60GBps of memory bandwidth. With all that power, the new Mac Pro lets you seamlessly edit full-resolution 4K video while simultaneously rendering effects in the background.
New generation Intel Xeon processors, ECC memory, and new PCIe flash storage will debut in the new Mac Pro. External expansion will be available via six Thunderbolt 2 ports and graphics will be handled by dual workstation AMD FirePro GPUs with support for up to three 4K displays.

Compared to the previous Mac Pro, the next-generation model is approximately 1/8 the size. The new Mac Pro will also be assembled in the United States. A special WWDC session tomorrow will see representatives of The Foundry and Pixar showing off how The Foundry's MARI 3D digital paint tool can take advantage of the upcoming Mac Pro hardware.

Article Link: Apple Offers Sneak Peek of Completely Redesigned Mac Pro

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I wish they would have used the old design. I see no room for expanding hard drive space and I'm curious if the GPU will be upgradable.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
New mac pro, looks nice. For me it's too bad they don't offer a "low cost" version with more consumer orriented internals like core i7 cpu instead to keep the cost lower

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Made out of plastic? Seriously? Spend $1299 and get a nice aluminum iMac. $2499 gets me a plastic Mac Pro(predicting cost of the new Mac Pro)? Screw that.....

EDIT: I was mistaken. This was posted before Apple posted the information.

Last edited:

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I personally think it's super awesome, but I know the Mac Pro lovers aren't going to be happy. Expansion has moved external =|

EDIT: Though it does, indeed, look like a trashcan

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
It's the G4 Cube evolved. Except this time they don't need to sacrifice performance for size and appearance. The original Cube failed because it was underpowered, but 13 years of technological advancements have finally made this stuff possible again.

Can't wait to see benchmark comparisons when it comes out.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Made out of plastic? Seriously? Spend $1299 and get a nice aluminum iMac. $2499 gets me a plastic Mac Pro(predicting cost of the new Mac Pro)? Screw that.....

yes, because pro users buy computers on looks.......

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
yes, because pro users buy computers on looks.......

No, but many professionals move their machines around and even travel with them. Look online and you'll see many banged up mac pro's. I hope it's not plastic but it looks it.

raw911

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2003
Ok. How does the 3 internal HD that I have inside of my MP gonna work in this tube? Guess all data on those 3 HDs are now useless?

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
So, that's what the offspring of an Alienware tower and a Mac mini looks like. Here's my plan.

1. Get a job that pays
2. Take PTO
3. Camp in front of Mac Store
4. Buy the new Mac
5. Have a :apple:gasm that have new hardware
6. Complain next year that my hardware is woeful out of date.
7. Rinse
8. Lather
9. Repeat

Last edited:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
This was made with Intel and AMD's roadmap's plan in mind.

I think it is amazing.

Chub

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2013
The design isn't really for me I must say but other than that the new hardware was a much needed upgrade.

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
As a music studio engineer, looking to upgrade our current Mac Pro, the new Mac Pro might be an economically turn off.

Our system needs two PCI-express slots and several harddrives for projects, sample libraries etc. Buying a Mac Pro, AND a PCI-express chassi, AND external harddrive chassi, might be waaaaaay to much money to spend.

Note that i wrote "might be". I sure do hope i.e. Magma chassis get alot cheaper along with other Thunderbolt devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.