Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced iTunes Radio today, a new internet radio service that is built into the Music app in iOS 7. The new feature offers music discovery through featured and genre stations provided by Apple or through the creation of new stations based on a specific artist or song.
iTunes Radio is an incredible way to listen to personalized radio stations which have been created just for you," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "It's the music you love most and the music you're going to love, and you can easily buy it from the iTunes Store with just one click.
iTunes Radio keeps track of all of the songs listened to for easy access later for purchasing or repeat listening. iTunes Radio will also be available on Mac and PC through iTunes and Apple TV.

iTunes Radio will be available in the fall for free with ads while iTunes Match subscribers get an ad-free experience. The service will be available starting in the US only at first.

Article Link: Apple Announces iTunes Radio, Ad-Supported, Free for iTunes Match Subscribers

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
Pointless feature. So many good quality radio apps. So many other services like last.fm or soundcloud (or even the pay for on mobile 'spotify).

iTunes Radio - what's its USP?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Ad free for only 25 bucks a year is great. But can you select songs directly for playback, or just radio/playlist mode?

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I dislike traditional radio but I am interested to try this out. Hopefully there's some non mainstream music on here, lots of variety in the type of channels etc.

max53389

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
I probably will use this more than pandora or spotify radio since its integrated into the music app. Just what I think.

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
so they finally make music match some what better but not that much better.

My money still says google music is better. Big time with All access.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Going to try it and I like how it is intergrated in the music app. I just hope it is not repeative like Slacker is which is pretty bad.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
It was more interesting than I was expecting. Ad free for the price of iTunes Match looked more appealing.

I currently do not subscribe to iTunes Match and so would need to wait until a UK release. However, if it is any good, then I may be persuaded to use Match, so there may be a point to it after all....

caf9128

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
What does Apple say the maximum sound quality will be?

There's a HUGE difference in music from Pandora, for instance, compared to mog, which streams at 320 kb. The Pandora sounds like condensed crap, the mog is almost CD quality.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Ad-free Pandora-ish music for $25 per year that is an added bonus to my existing Match services. What's not to like? This will certainly become my main music app (on my Mac - I have an Android-based phone).

Pandora is $36 per year and doesn't integrate with the 10,000+ songs I have in my iTunes library. Spotify is $5 per month and $10 per month if you want mobile access. Google's music service is $8 per month and $10 per month starting in July. Yes, Spotify and Google likely give you more control over individual songs but each type of service fulfills different purposes. I don't often have time to sit down and pick songs I want to play next.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
This is it?

They busted their humps to work out deals with the labels in time for WWDC and this is it? There has to be some hidden "one more thing" regarding iRadio. If not, I'm not quite sure what the fuss was about.:confused:

iKrl

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
Will it work based on the iTunes account or based on location? Will it stop working when on a trip abroad? :confused:

sixstrings03

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
They busted their humps to work out deals with the labels in time for WWDC and this is it? There has to be some hidden "one more thing" regarding iRadio. If not, I'm not quite sure what the fuss was about.:confused:
But wait - I thought people were trolls if they said this before the keynote?

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Have they kept the song limit? iTunes won't even let me sign up for iTunes match because I have too much music -_-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.