Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I dunno. The UI seems fresh. The icons, not so sure. Especially the Safari icon is just, unfinished?

j39e_77emm15.png

The white space is just weird.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I dunno. The UI seems fresh. The icons, not so sure. Especially the Safari icon is just, unfinished?

The white space is just weird.

I'm amazed at how far they pushed the boat out, and as a whole it looks great.

But that icon is terrible.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
I agree. It is only a beta though, so they can easily change it.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The interface and functionality is great but the icons are horribly executed. Looks like cartoony fisher price crap. Weather app looks exactly like the new yahoo app.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
It would look better if it didn't have the white background. It looks very unfitting next to the other 3 icons.

Really, none of the icons flow. You have Photos and Game Center with their simplistic blob design, then you have Stocks and Compass being almost completely black, then you have iTunes, App Stores, Music, etc. with simple gradients, then you have Settings which is just a total mess. I find it hard to believe that this is the best that Jony could come up with.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
The interface and functionality is great but the icons are horribly executed. Looks like cartoony fisher price crap. Weather app looks exactly like the new yahoo app.

Ditto! Couldn't say it better

In the end it's just the icons, I'm not too bothered, but they look cheap and amateur considering the rest of the UI

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Other than the Music app, I think they all look great. It doesn't throw off any more than the current icons do. The only issue I have is that the Music app just is a shade of red/orange that I don't like.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
To be honest, I hate those icons, and a couple of app interfaces, but on the whole I like it!

I hate that safari icon though!
And I wish they could've brought some form of animation, such as having the gears ocassionaly spin when an update was available, have the weather app change colour depending on the weather, that sorta thing! Oh well always ios 8 ;)

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Newsstand, too.

It does look kind of unfinished. A coloured background would be much better.

seetheforest

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2010
The icons are complete dog crap. So many mock-ups were better. I wonder if Cupertino will get the message that they just served up a steaming pile by way of their icon design.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
All the white icons look unfinished. I agree with the Fisher Price comment.

I'd rather just stick with the current look.

20130219005213!IOS_6_Home_Screen.png

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
The more I look at these, the more they look like icons for some freeware. Newsstand, Safari, Settings, Game Center and the Stores are my least favorite.

Really, what's going on with Game Center? It's glossy van-diagram.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
iOS 7 seems like a transition OS. On one hand, you have tons of new features, a new way of using the OS, making it much more powerful and useful than iOS 6.

On the other, the icons and graphics look like they've been knocked up quickly in Paint and lack the polish of iOS 6.

iOS 6 was five years in the making: this feels like a fresh new start, and I'd presume that iOS 8 will give back the polish that we're used to.

Of course, I could be wrong and they change it all in the beta, but it definitely feels like iOS is in a middle stage right now.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I despise the Newsstand app. It looks awful and I can't even delete it. More importantly, it adds one extra barrier to The Economist app. Incredibly irritating for something that serves no function.

At least the new one loses the horrible colour. But frankly, I just want to delete it.

mojohojo

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
Liking all the UI and app redesigns shown; but the icons are just much worse than existing ones.

Safari - white border :(
Camera - from a simplistic lens icon to a flat camera icon :(

There's too much white and vibrant colors per icon that it looks like candy crush.
It's much harder to find a specific app you are looking for when's there's so much bold colors everywhere.

Would have been great to leave forstall skeumorphic icons, and only change the UI to Ives flat designs.

Ram27

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
I trust Ive and co know what they're doing, and it'll probably just take a few days to accept it.

But Newsstand and Safari are bad. Really bad.

Calendar seems like it's missing something.

They should've just made the old camera flatter.

Too many different colors that don't really flow.

Music should be lighter orange/red.

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
I think people are forgetting that modern [graphic and UI] design is headed toward flat designs and minimalism. The older icons looked more polished because they have a ton of skeumorphism and all kinds of glossy effects added to make them look like bubbles. In 2007 when the iPhone was first released, design was full of gloss and drop shadows and complex things, now, it simply isn't. This is Apple keeping up with the times and trends of design, and I welcome it. iOS is getting very stale and looks nearly identical to how it did in 2007. Stop being afraid of change, Apple would eventually lose a lot of customers(myself included) if they didn't update the UI in a significant way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.