Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
This update is all looks and no substance. Swiping up to bring up a easy access controls should have been made long ago, but thankful for that. But jeez Apple, give me some features I want most. :mad:

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
What the hell is "kids mode"?
You mean being a parent? I don't think that requires any iOS device.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
What the hell is "kids mode"?
You mean being a parent? I don't think that requires any iOS device.

:rolleyes:

I don't know if that was your lame attempt at sarcasm, but...

No meaning, as a parent, I hand my phone to a small child, say my 13 month old he/she can't inadvertently start moving apps around and deleting them. I can set "kid mode" and all the apps I let him play with are there, safeguarding my stuff.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
This update is all looks and no substance. Swiping up to bring up a easy access controls should have been made long ago, but thankful for that. But jeez Apple, give me some features I want most. :mad:

iOS has parental controls. You can literally lock down everything, and now Safari has controls so you have even more control. What else do you need.

I'm right with you with multiple accounts, but there's loads of features that they didn't even show, so it's possible it could have user accounts we don't know yet, but that is something I was really hoping would come.

As far as default apps, this update has literally added everything i wanted/used to the apps I would change, so it doesn't matter to me.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
No multiple user accounts and no free choice of default apps are also for me a very disappointing downers - as well as no support for Airdrop for iPhone 4S and iPad 3.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
A little disappointed by no default apps. But maybe it's there. I can see why they wouldn't want to advertise it in the Keynote. I mean why would you promote using somebody else' app?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I cant see it being included. It's not a simple change. Built into the code you'll have a call to safari set as safari://someurl.com - you'd need to change the way developers call to a browser.

Personally I always run a check in my apps to see if Chrome is installed, and load external URL's in that, or fall back to safari if its not installed.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Why do you need a kids mode? iOS is already kids mode by default.

/ Sorry, couldn't help.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I cant see it being included. It's not a simple change.
In case you mean the free choice of default apps - this is not true at least for the browser. My iPad is jailbroken and has an app installed for changing the default browser (this was the only reason for me to jailbreak the iPad). Works great, and I have now iCab Mobile as default browser.

----------

Add "iCloud mail rules and filters" to the list!
... and a unified "Sent" mailbox!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
And, IMHO, the biggest problem: no f.lux-alikes either.

----------

Why do you need a kids mode? iOS is already kids mode by default.

Very true! This is why it looks so pathetically incapable when compared to the latest Android and even WP8 / RT capabilities (true windowed multitask, camera plug-ins etc.).

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Unfortunately for Apple, iOS 7 is just a face lift. Nothing has changed in terms of its function. Still can't do the things I should be able to do in the thread title, nor are apps efficient at working with each other to pass off data. My iOS data still lives in individual boxes.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
No multiple user accounts and no free choice of default apps are also for me a very disappointing downers - as well as no support for Airdrop for iPhone 4S and iPad 3.
It's important to remember that Apple is very focused on making maximum income from selling lots of hardware.

There's no incentive, nor does it make any sense for them to offer multi-user functionality.

If one looks at Apples history of maintaining control over users, locking people into the eco-system, and the proprietary nature of the simplest things like the charging connectors and such, it only makes sense that they expect families to buy devices for everyone within the household.

It's the Apple way and for them it works.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
In case you mean the free choice of default apps - this is not true at least for the browser. My iPad is jailbroken and has an app installed for changing the default browser (this was the only reason for me to jailbreak the iPad). Works great...

I know, I have the same jailbreak tweak. The issue is that it's a dirty fix, all it does is listen for a call to safari or whatever other app you are directing to, and redirects it. Apple won't do that as it is quite simply a dirty hack. Really they need a new command so that instead of running safari:// you would run browser://

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.