Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I'm not a developer but was reading through developer notes to see if I could make anything out and noticed this:

The video chat functionality has been removed from the Messages app in OS X v10.9, in favor of the standardized, iOS-compatible video chat functionality built into the FaceTime app. This change potentially affects developers in two ways:

The Instant Message Framework is no longer supported, and all methods return an empty list. Use the Social framework instead.
Multiway video chats are no longer supported.​

So, does that mean no more Jabber, AOL, Google Talk, etc.?

It also looks like they're deprecating QuickTime as a framework over something called AVKit. Not sure what that's about.

From here:
https://developer.apple.com/library...0_9.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40013207-CH100

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I need Jabber audio calls! :(:(:(

Well, I'm not sure if that's what that means or not. Apple internally uses Jabber for its operations (at least when I did tech support for Apple a year ago), so that's another reason it would be odd for them to phase it out. I could see them dropping AOL support more easily . . . I am still a hanger-on to AOL chat with my mac.com address.

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
I don't care about anything bu tjabber, I have my own jabber server with transport into Skype already, I don't mind seting up any other..:)

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Safari now has notifications when not opened so I assume that is across all apps. Means I won't be disabling NC in 10.9.

Question on OpenGL. It did not say 4.3 so I guess it is the three plus year old initial release?

Also can someone link me to he new activity monitor?

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
Safari now has notifications when not opened so I assume that is across all apps. Means I won't be disabling NC in 10.9.

Question on OpenGL. It did not say 4.3 so I guess it is the three plus year old initial release?

Also can someone link me to he new activity monitor?

I would say you are most certainly right. In 10.8.4 Apple has 3.2 supported and very little 3.3. So it would make sense that they got 3.3 and 4.0 finished leaving 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 left to work on. The good news though is that 4.2 and 4.3 shouldn't be too hard to develop. However 4.1 will be a pain in the ass for them as it poses significant changes.

Also be glad we at least got OpenGL 4. GL4 bring us all the new tessellation and the latest shader engine that all the developers need to make the latest games on the mac. 4.1 and 4.2 are minute. 4.3 however has some nice changes but no games support it yet.

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Is it just me or has the whole Aqua theme somewhat changed recently?

And yes, the docs confirm OpenGL 4.1.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Here is a list of changes from developer.apple.com (no NDA required):
https://developer.apple.com/library...MacOSX/WhatsNewInOSX/Articles/MacOSX10_9.html

Core Image Framework Changes
Core Image now takes advantage of OpenCL on the GPU to perform image processing operations on recent Macs. It also adds additional standard filters (CIFilter) that perform common low-level operations that are used across a wide array of image processing tasks.

OpenGL Framework Changes
OS X v10.9 supports the OpenGL 4.1 Core Profile on Macs with GPUs that are capable of supporting its feature set. Read OpenGL Programming Guide for Mac to learn about choosing a profile.

OpenCL Framework Changes
OS X v10.9 supports OpenCL 1.2 using the GPU on recent Macs, including those with Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Carbon is not dead ( ;-):
Carbon Changes

Carbon.framework

ASRegistry.h
Added kASExcluding
Added kASImporting
Added kASMinimumVersion
Added kASUseEventCode

Apples hardware accelerated video encoding/decoding framework VideoToolbox supports now H.264 levels higher than level 4.1.
https://developer.apple.com/library.../General/APIDiffsMacOSX10_9/VideoToolbox.html
(hardware acceleration requires compatible GPUs)

QuickTime framework is deprecated.
Security.framework has improved support for TLS and SSL.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I'm way more interested in the Mac than iOS. Kind of sad it's more of after-thought than iOS now. I knew when it was presented first it meant iOS would take precedence. And it's kind of reflected in that we're not seeing as many people download 10.9 and post pictures, yet at least. Although, I guess a download and install takes more time than for iOS, but still I think iOS is where people's interest is at.

As a long-term Mac user, I'm most curious to see if some nasty bugs introduced in Lion and carried over to Mountain Lion are still there. I'm less interested in big features and more in just a solid, good operating system that works. I can live with linen and leather texture I don't like. The bugs are what annoy me. Things that would excite me would be seeing if there are any changes to TextEdit, QuickTime, etc.

Or little things that annoy me, like does the horizontal scroll bar in the Finder still cover the bottom item when you try to click on it (the bottom-most item is partially covered by the scroll bar but becomes almost totally covered when the scroll bar magnifies)? That happens to me all the time.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'm wondering what Messages, Reminders, Notes, and Game Center look like in 10.9 now that its iOS counterparts look a lot different.

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
I'm wondering what Messages, Reminders, Notes, and Game Center look like in 10.9 now that its iOS counterparts look a lot different.

They look about the same according to the keynote. At least Messages does.

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Couple of issues so far:

> Mail Apps not downloading mail from iCloud - Apologies, it has just started downloading emails, it took about 5 minutes for anything to happen.

> iBooks nowhere to be seen - Just read through the Release Notes. There is not mention of iBooks.

> Contacts looks very plain, and watered down.

> Notes was also giving me sync problems - Had to uncheck and recheck it from iCloud at System Preferences to make it work.

Last edited:

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
iBooks is missing? That's a pretty big problem we have there. Can anyone confirm this while I'm *still* getting my system ready?

Mk2

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009

Messages, Reminders and Game Center look the same so far. Note looks like this:
61rFKfN.png

Linen is nowhere to be found.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Messages, Reminders and Game Center look the same so far. Note looks like this:

Linen is nowhere to be found.

Could you please upload them? And Notification Center? Also, what does the login screen look like? And are the boot ups, shut downs faster?

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Have they enabled the "Find" commands in Notes? They've been neutered since 10.7 :(

Cmd+F didn't display anything and produced a low beep. As you can see on Mk2's screen, there is a search box above the notes to the left. Searching there will only pinpoint the specific note that contains your search criteria, it will not however, display your search on the note - this means you may have very long notes like I do, and still have to scroll down.

----------

iBooks is missing? That's a pretty big problem we have there. Can anyone confirm this while I'm *still* getting my system ready?

Just read through the Release Notes. There is not mention of iBooks.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Cmd+F didn't display anything and produced a low beep. As you can see on Mk2's screen, there is a search box above the notes to the left. Searching there will only pinpoint the specific note that contains your search criteria, it will not however, display your search on the note - this means you may have very long notes like I do, and still have to scroll down.

----------

Just read through the Release Notes. There is not mention of iBooks.

It is probably going to be an App store app like it is on iOS.

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
It is probably going to be an App store app like it is on iOS.

The release notes only mention known bugs - a few in Mail, Safari, Maps, etc. It doesn't detail the content of the preview. My guess is that if iBooks had been included it would also detail a few of its bugs, but there is no trace of iBooks in the notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.