Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Seems like a pretty big step back if so...

For those looking for the most raw horsepower available in a workstation, yes, its a step back. But obviously that's not what Apple was going for. Clearly they think a single Ivy Bridge E5 is enough computational power for most buys of a Mac Pro and that this new "sexier" form will attract more attention from those not going the way of the Mac Pro before.

So, I think Apple sees this as a step to the side and then forward. And if price comes down ~$2000 for the entry level Mac Pro, I might agree (assuming E5-1620 v2, 1 graphics card, smaller PCIe SSD), then I might agree. But if its $2500 like the last bottom end mac pro...I agree its a backwards step. This machine needs to appeal to more people, and keeping the base under $2000 is important for that, IMO.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Not only single processor, but say goodbye to FW800.

iGarbageCan

FAIL

You mean say hello to 6 FW800 ports via Thunderbolt adapters?

Also, the Ivy Bridge E5 Xeons go up to 12 cores on a single chip, the same as the old Mac Pro had with two chips.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
You mean say hello to 6 FW800 ports via Thunderbolt adapters?

Also, the Ivy Bridge E5 Xeons go up to 12 cores on a single chip, the same as the old Mac Pro had with two chips.

Meaning we could have 24 physical cores if they kept the current form factor. :mad:

--AG--

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
So basically no new Mac Pro then. Sounds more like a Mac Mini turbo. I need many computing cores and was almost expecting to see the possibility of adding a Xeon Phi card to the new Pro. I'd rather have dual cpu than dual gpu if I have to choose. With the previous form factor we could have both. Will most likely replace my old Pro with an iMac and a rack server running linux.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
What are the chances of a slightly taller unit with dual processors?

TType85

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
So which CPU will it use? Which of the new Xeons has 12 cores?

That is a good question. On intel's site I have only found up to 10 core (20 thread). If it is only 6 core/12 thread that is pretty disappointing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

Ivy Bridge-E features [edit]
The upcoming Ivy Bridge-E processor line in 2013 is expected to have up to 12 cores instead of 8 and an increased third level cache of up to 30 MB,[21][22] although the current leaked lineup includes processors with a maximum of 6 cores.[23] Both Core-i7 and Xeon versions will be produced - the Xeon versions will be marketed as Xeon E5 V2 and act as drop-in replacements for the existing Sandy Bridge-EN and Sandy Bridge-EP based Xeon E5, and Core-i7 versions designated i7-4820K, i7-4930K, i7-4960X, are expected to release in the 3rd quarter of 2013 and to remain compatible with existing X79 and LGA2011 hardware.[22][24]
A new Ivy Bridge-EX line marketed as Xeon E7 V2 has no corresponding predecessor using the Sandy Bridge microarchitecture but instead follows the older Westmere-EX processors.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Out of curiosity, what do people do with 24 processor cores? I remember a documentary about South Park where they said the entire show is animated and rendered on regular iMacs. 4K video editing can put a lot of stress on a computer but it looks like the new Pro was designed specifically for that.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Out of curiosity, what do people do with 24 processor cores? I remember a documentary about South Park where they said the entire show is animated and rendered on regular iMacs. 4K video editing can put a lot of stress on a computer but it looks like the new Pro was designed specifically for that.
We have 6 MAxed out Mac Pro's with the most ram you can buy and 512gb SSDs. They run overnight to render broadcast quality HD animations. And those are mostly just bumpers and interstitials.

spunkgarLEWII

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2013
HAHAHA... lol! iGarbageCan :)

Yes, say goodnite to FW800 and say goodnite to internal expansion. I wonder if the darn processor will be upgradable or is that SOLDERED to the board? Or even the video memory chips?

By the time you buy the iGarbageCan xMac for 2499.99 add an additional 2000-3000 in thunderbolt drives - You are in the stratosphere.

Not only single processor, but say goodbye to FW800.

iGarbageCan

FAIL

nox-uk

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2012
yeah hmmm. bit disappointed in the single cpu config - for some people two cpu's are more important than two gpu's. Would of preferred that option as someone else pointed out.

That said... a current mac pro with twin x5690's - thats 24 cores. the new e5's are up to 40% faster and up to 16 cores. What ends up in the new mac pro could actually be fairly close to the horse power of a current mac pro... and a much smaller machine.

Will make a decision based on cost when it's out :)

Nox

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.