Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
From What we know.

New Mac Pro will gave DUAL Workstation GPU as standard.

4096 Stream processor, 384-bit memory buses, total 528 GBps bandwidth.

It all reassembled 2 x FirePro W9000. (Workstation version of 7970).

That cost Ummmh. $3,399.99 per Unit.

Let's calculate new Mac Pro price guys.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
If every Mac Pro is going to ship with two of those GPUs, and thats the only option as indicated by the details show so far, then Apple can buy them A LOT cheaper than $3,400. Much of that retail price is because of the market for it and what they expect in terms of support and certification.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I assume they will offer some entry level GPUs for those that don't need it? Any speculation on what the entry level might be?

Also, does the anticipated E5 Ivy Xeon have an on-die Intel GPU? Does that mean there are really 3 GPUs in a fully configured system?

Jst0rm

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
I hope i don't have to buy those. i have no need for them. I want 2 office level gpu's for displaying onto 4 displays. Thats all.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Where are we getting the info that the W9000 needs to be there at the low end? It looks like the W5000 supports 4K.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I have a feeling that getting the two GPUs will be an upgrade and the base model will only have one.

Also its a single socket CPU so you will most likely have a range of core options up to 12.

I also have a feeling there is going to a wide range of prices depending on your performance needs. Apple has put a lot of R&D into this new Mac Pro and is going to want a larger user base then the current Mac Pro. So the prices and performance will have to appeal to a wider group of end users.

The prosumer will want a cheaper version of the Mac Pro, while a professional will want to get the most performance out of the system regardless of price.

spunkgarLEWII

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2013
How do we even know if the processors and video chips are upgradable? They may all be soldered to the boards! Given Apple's stance on upgrading a mac, they are making it harder and harder to do so, forcing you to buy a new machine each year..

I don't know yet if I will get one. My 6-Core gets the job done for me.

I have a feeling that getting the two GPUs will be an upgrade and the base model will only have one.

Also its a single socket CPU so you will most likely have a range of core options up to 12.

I also have a feeling there is going to a wide range of prices depending on your performance needs. Apple has put a lot of R&D into this new Mac Pro and is going to want a larger user base then the current Mac Pro. So the prices and performance will have to appeal to a wider group of end users.

The prosumer will want a cheaper version of the Mac Pro, while a professional will want to get the most performance out of the system regardless of price.

ElderBrE

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
I re-watched the stream just to make sure I didn't get it wrong.

Phil said, UP TO. Did not say that was the base configuration graphics, but the top.

There will be much lower, maybe even a single card.

The biggest issue I see is that we're back to waiting for apple to give us the upgrade graphic packages in order to get a new card, I was getting used to popping any PC card in.

spunkgarLEWII

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2013
The chips may be soldered to the boards.. but given Apple's direction in terms of upgrading and expanding, they are surely closing up that era for us.

I re-watched the stream just to make sure I didn't get it wrong.

Phil said, UP TO. Did not say that was the base configuration graphics, but the top.

There will be much lower, maybe even a single card.

The biggest issue I see is that we're back to waiting for apple to give us the upgrade graphic packages in order to get a new card, I was getting used to popping any PC card in.

ElderBrE

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
The chips may be soldered to the boards.. but given Apple's direction in terms of upgrading and expanding, they are surely closing up that era for us.

They kinda look like daughter cards, not soldered. I think we may have the option to upgrade, but only through what Apple decides to offer, like the old times.

InfiniteDeath

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Hopefully there will be an option for non-pro graphics cards and CPU's. At least in the realm of SLI GTX 780m's. iMac performance just doesn't cut it for me as well as having no need for a new monitor.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Not good news for those with a CUDA workflow, I suppose.

Same here. I guess I better migrate to FCPX then...

----------

CUDA should work just fine over TB2. Use AMD internal to draw screen and crunch the much better OpenCL jobs and CUDA cores in break out box with own PSU. Like the Silverstone thing:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7040/computex-2013-thunderbolt-graphics-from-silverstone

It's the thought of spending $2-3k on this then buying 3 pcie enclosures for a gfx card, data storage and a backup. Be much simpler to you know have it all tidy in a single box. If only they made such a device...

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
It's the thought of spending $2-3k on this then buying 3 pcie enclosures for a gfx card, data storage and a backup. Be much simpler to you know have it all tidy in a single box. If only they made such a device...

Lol. I don't like it either really.
It is surprisingly (or not) reminiscent of the retina MBP. Charge more and take away functionality 'in box' for a bag of dongles. You can have everything back but it'll cost even more. The New Mac Pro could be 2x the size and give users some PCI slots and HDD SATA options. And still be a marvel of small form.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
wondering if 10.9 will bring support to 5,1 or earlier machines for FirePro cards? if software is going to be written to take advantage of the cards in the new MacPro then maybe "add-on" cards for older machines would be possible? that is, assuming 10.9 can be used on a 5,1 or earlier machine...

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
wondering if 10.9 will bring support to 5,1 or earlier machines for FirePro cards? if software is going to be written to take advantage of the cards in the new MacPro then maybe "add-on" cards for older machines would be possible? that is, assuming 10.9 can be used on a 5,1 or earlier machine...

3,1 can use 10.9. 5,1 no problem. You may get lucky and be able to use FirePro in 10.9, sure. Don't have any Fir Pro cards on hand to test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.