Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foster Chile

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
iPhone5 wifi syncs with iMac only one direction

iMac can initiate wifi sync with iPhone5. iPhone can't. Wife's iPhone5 bought same day works fine on all the same settings. Tried separate iMac accounts and scrubbing iPhone multiple times / tries / ways. Even tried a Windoze box. Apple Store geniuses and AT&T techs are, well, none of them very technical. Anyone suggest a fix? Thx

joneun

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
This will work:

You must have it password protected. If you didn't believe it, it's true. There is no way around it.

192.168.2.1, you know you're router's settings in the address bar of your browser, as a last resort, change the channel. It can be any channel. Sometimes the channel gets confused.

This is all you need to do and it will finally work.

Foster Chile

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
This will work:

You must have it password protected. If you didn't believe it, it's true. There is no way around it.

192.168.2.1, you know you're router's settings in the address bar of your browser, as a last resort, change the channel. It can be any channel. Sometimes the channel gets confused.

Must be the router ... assuming password is the same as the 4 digit "Passcode."
Now how is it that I change the router settings in the address bar of the browser?

I powered down all the wifi stuff ... got new address on power up. Restart everything.
No fix. Still uni directional wifi sync - iMac can initiate, but iPhone still has message "To enable Wi-Fi syncing with iTunes, connect to iTunes on your computer using a cable and click "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi"." Been there, done that a hundred times. Am I THAT insane? Anymore ideas?

Thx

Last edited:

UnknownAlly

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
This will work:

Got it to work.
My router was always set with a pass, but I got it to work because:

My routher gives a unique IP address to all devices connected, and it changes them all the time. I had to click on "Address Reservation" and add the devices under one IP address, so this way it doesn't change all the time.

Presto, it works.

8zef03.png

2colf74.png

SpoekGTi

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
The Netherlands
Must be the router ... assuming password is the same as the 4 digit "Passcode."
Now how is it that I change the router settings in the address bar of the browser?

I powered down all the wifi stuff ... got new address on power up. Restart everything.
No fix. Still uni directional wifi sync - iMac can initiate, but iPhone still has message "To enable Wi-Fi syncing with iTunes, connect to iTunes on your computer using a cable and click "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi"." Been there, done that a hundred times. Am I THAT insane? Anymore ideas?

Thx

I have the same problem and NO getting your ip's fixed in the router doesn't work.

The thing is i have multiple iDevices (2 iPhone and an iPad 2) all cannot initiate a sync to my Mac Mini and the Mac Mini can sync wireless to the iDevices.

I tried everything, made my Mini in a DMZ on the router, tried different channels, wiped phones and ipad multiple times, tried Mac mini wired or wireless, nothing seems to get it to work. Weird thing is that i can't get Find my Mac to get a location fix also on the Mini, it sees it online but not where, where my other devices are picked up without hassle.

Als tried different fixes for FmM and itunes fixes for the syncing problem but until now no working wifi sync.

Aryan.19k

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
I got it to work

I just followed what Richardgm said :

The only way I get this to work is by restarting the "Apple Mobile Device" service.

Start - type "services" - click on "Services" - (look for "Apple Mobile Device") - right click - restart

1. Open Task Manager
2. Go to services tab
3. Right Click on "Apple Mobile Device" and click "Restart"

-> I DID NOT have to restart my iTunes
-> I DID NOT have to have my phone plugged into power.

I use a Win 8.1 x64 machine,
and iTunes 11.3.0.54 (latest at the time of this comment)

Hope this helps :cool::cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.