Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After today's keynote at WWDC in San Francisco, Apple sent out an email to developers announcing a change to iTunes Connect. Under the new rules, apps can be transferred from one developer to another within the system, without affecting the app's availability on the App Store. This should be a welcome feature for companies and developers who have faced transfer issues in the past.

itunesconnectemail.jpg
When an app is transferred from one developer to another (in the case of an acquisition, for example) all ratings and reviews are transferred as well, with no impact on end users. Apps can be transferred by accessing the App Summary page on iTunes Connect as long as the following rules are met:
- Your account is active
- You have accepted the most current version of your contracts
- Your app has at least one approved version
- Your app is in the Ready for Sale, Invalid Binary, Rejected, Developer Rejected, or Developer Removed from Sale state
- Any associated In-App Purchases are in the Ready to Submit, Ready for Sale, Rejected, Developer Removed from Sale or Approved state
- You know the Apple ID of the recipient's Team Agent and their Team ID.
The app transfer process is outlined in a video tutorial on iTunes Connect and more information about the process can be found on the iTunes Connect FAQ.

Article Link: Apple Updates iTunes Connect with App Transfer Functionality

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
So wait, let me get this straight... if I'm a developer, i can transfer ownership of an entire app from one developer to another.

But if I'm a consumer who accidentally purchased an app on the wrong account, I can't transfer that? And there's still no merging of iTunes accounts?

Why is that so hard, hmm?

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Can anyone confirm that an app's leaderboard placement transfers as well? Thanks

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
How soon before someone starts a business offering to buy up apps? There are lots of decent apps around where the developer marketing abilities do not match their development skills. A good marketeer could do well, and developers like me have a second chance at making some money on their apps.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Far better to create a separate LLC for each app, so that you can sell off your rights and liabilities to whomever you'd like without any store limitations.

jk1459

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
Ranks definitely intact

@red oak

Ranks and leader board status are definitely intact with this. I am the founder of Apptopia, and we have been working with apple for 15+ months on this.

In fact that is exactly what is so powerful about this. Ranks/Ratings/Reviews/Current user base are 100% intact. Completely changes the user acquisition marketplace.

chodges

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
What a Pain!

I spent HOURS on the phone with Apple on two different occasions trying to get them to do exactly this. I had one company that I closed and started another one and I am the sole owner of each. All I wanted them to do was change the name on my account to my new company name.

I was able to produce all of the legal documentation that shows the closure of the old company and the legal documents for the new one. But each time they told me they couldn't do it. Which was total nonsense.

They told me that my only option was to register for ANOTHER Apple Development account, release an update to the app under the new account. BUT the users of the app would never see that there's an update BECAUSE THE UNDERLYING APP ID WOULD HAVE TO BE DIFFERENT. And I'd lose ALL of the history and reviews.

Now, mind you, the second conversation I had with them was only a few months ago. Think they could have told me that this feature was coming out soon? This veil of secrecy is fine for the general public but for people who are in BUSINESS this kind of stuff is a huge pain.

So here I am with two developer accounts that I'm paying for when I only need one. Guess who will be calling Apple for a refund for one of my accounts tomorrow....

danbretl

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
New York
Sigh. Bad Timing.

Less than 48 hours ago, I deleted an app from an expiring account to move it to another one. Sigh. Information that could have been useful to me yesterday!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.