Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I purchased a UDID slot and installed the iOS 7 IPSW via iTunes, and it would not let me activate. I am assuming this is due to the server load right now as I am definitely going to try again later.

I panicked, threw my iPhone 5 into recovery mode, clicked restore in iTunes, and wa-la, 6.1.4.

So, I don't know that this will work for everyone, but just thought I'd share my experience.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I purchased a UDID slot and installed the iOS 7 IPSW via iTunes, and it would not let me activate. I am assuming this is due to the server load right now as I am definitely going to try again later.

I panicked, threw my iPhone 5 into recovery mode, clicked restore in iTunes, and wa-la, 6.1.4.

So, I don't know that this will work for everyone, but just thought I'd share my experience.

Interesting, I had exactly the same issue. It would not let me activate. Maybe their servers are overloaded right now...

I also downgraded successfully, will try to get 7 working later on.

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
Have not downgraded yet...but it will not let me active either...

iCloud.com is also pretty iffy right now. Tried to access my mail...kept timing out.

ethereal45

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
I also bought a UDID slot, and while they said it's registered, I can't activate. Going to try and downgrade my 4S back to 6.1.3......wish me luck.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
So it probably is Apple's servers cant keep up with everyone trying to upgrade right now. Hopefully we can all get this working properly later or tomorrow

ethereal45

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
I wish there was a way to check if your device was registered instead of having to spent 30 minutes upgrading and downgrading again if it doesn't work....

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I wish there was a way to check if your device was registered instead of having to spent 30 minutes upgrading and downgrading again if it doesn't work....

My device is registered according to my profiles in developer.apple.com but its still not working. A little frustrating but Apple's servers are probably as slammed as they have ever been for a developer preview of anything... Ill keep trying and hope to get it done before going to bed.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Correct me if in wrong, but I think this has always been the case. You can always "downgrade" to the highest current "gold" release of iOS. Apple isn't going to force you to stick with a beta software as the point of beta is big testing. Would be terrible if there was a fatal error rendering your phone useless yet you couldn't revert back to a known working version.

ethereal45

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Let me know if you get your device activated. I think my UDID is registered now, but I don't want to go through the whole process if the servers are swamped.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Correct me if in wrong, but I think this has always been the case. You can always "downgrade" to the highest current "gold" release of iOS. Apple isn't going to force you to stick with a beta software as the point of beta is big testing. Would be terrible if there was a fatal error rendering your phone useless yet you couldn't revert back to a known working version.

I am a "legitimate" developer (ie. I have my own apps on the store, etc.) but last night euphoria for iOS 7 led me to a painful install on my iPhone 5. A few hours of slep later I'm regretting it — too many apps I rely on for everyday stuff just crash brutally — and I'd like to downgrade, but I thought I'd ask for confirmation first as I read it may end up bricking the device.

Did you just download the official 6.1.4 IPSW file off the Apple servers (http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/02/ios-6-1-4-released-for-iphone-5/) and restored in DFU mode?

Thanks!

PS: for whatever reason, iMessage on the Mac stopped working for me too. I have on idea if it's related.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
Same thing happened to me lol . Guess the servers were slammed . Tried a few hours later and Bam ! Activation was successful . iOS 7 is just plain beautiful I must say ! So happy

u521xxxx

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
I'm having a problem with the firmware, I downloaded from *****, which everytime I downloaded from this place. My UDID is already registered since my friend gave me a slot.

Everytime I hit SHIFT+RESTORE or SHIFT+UPDATE

"The iPhone "xxxx" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible"

When I'm pretty sure everything is up-to-date!! Need some help out here!

kdavis103

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013

Is there anyway that you could elaborate on this? I have the same issue where I purchased a slot, installed iOS 7 and then to my horror received a screen on my phone telling me that I was not registered. Now when I plug it into iTunes it pops a message telling me it is not registered and then my phone disappears. Very frustrated.

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Google iOS 6.1.3 Download, (or iOS 6.1.4) and download the ISPW from the internet. Then ALT+Click restore, select the ISPW and done.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I did the option+click restore to get iOS 7 and kept getting the activation error (my UDID was registered). I put it into DFU, hit restore and went back to 6.1.4. I then option+clicked update, selected the ipsw file and tried upgrading to 7 and it worked like a charm, activated right away.

Zombiechow

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
There was a crazy rumor circulating about the inability to do this.

I too was able to downgrade. No sweat. Threw my phone into DFU mode, downloaded 6.1.4, and I've been fine ever since.

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
There was a crazy rumor circulating about the inability to do this.

I too was able to downgrade. No sweat. Threw my phone into DFU mode, downloaded 6.1.4, and I've been fine ever since.

Its no crazy rumor. When you go to the Developers iOS7 Beta section there is a list of things about selecting the correct image to download among other items. One of the bullet points says you can not revert back to an old version of iOS.

kdavis103

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Sorry to be that guy that does not know the slightest thing but how do you put your phone into DFU mode?:eek:

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
I had the same issues with not being an authorized developer. Here's the fix.

Instead of option clicking restore, simply do it on update.

Originally I had done a full restore and had no luck getting it to work. I put it in DFU mode, restored to 6.1.4 and did a option update and was in in no time.

cyda

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
guys you dont even need to register your UDID. Just hold alt(or shift) and klick UPDATE, not restore and you are good to go

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.