Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No.

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
According to Wikipedia, nuclear reactions generate so much energy that a battery that stores this energy would have more energy than any other battery of equal volume.

Edit: Before you say "No. I don't want my devices becoming atom bombs," know that there are small atomic batteries that are safer than nuclear reactors because the latter use chain reactions and the former do not. Source:http://www.neowin.net/news/tiny-nuclear-battery-unveiled-by-researchers

Last edited:

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Just..for clarity...do you mean a nuclear reactor MacBook? Or radioactive-decay powered, like the Voyager probes?

Either way, maybe you should be the beta tester. You seem very eager to experience the warmth of radioactivity.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Just..for clarity...do you mean a nuclear reactor MacBook? Or radioactive-decay powered, like the Voyager probes?

Either way, maybe you should be the beta tester. You seem very eager to experience the warmth of radioactivity.

This! And do report back because I am curious.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Just..for clarity...do you mean a nuclear reactor MacBook? Or radioactive-decay powered, like the Voyager?

The latter. The Webpage I've linked to talks about a battery the size of a penny. Just think of what Apple could do with such a battery. It could be the first company to make a mobile device that could be used for at least maybe a full day without needing to be charged. By that, I mean you could play on a mobile device as long as you want to and you may not need to charge it for a while. I don't know exactly how much electricity such a battery can output before needing to be charged, but I do know it can output a lot.

Edit: I just read that nuclear batteries cannot be recharged. This may give me enough reason to ditch the idea of Apple installing a nuclear battery. I still think they should use batteries that have higher energy densities and can be recharged.

Last edited:

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Considering they can't even get a lithium ion battery right (MacBooks), I'd say no.

Typing on my MacBook with the battery out because my 2nd battery has swelled again to the point of it hindering typing yet again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.