Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
I was hoping for Siri on the Mac but I guess it's not happening this year.

Too bad because it would have really made this update worthwhile. Anyways still a good update, especially the tabbed finder, safari, and notifications changes.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
Yeah I wasn't thrilled about using Maverick, prefered Sea Lion to be honest :p. Would have prefered space based naming themes, since Apple is known for thier space wallpapers..

I really don't care that much what the name is. Sure, they were running out of big cats with their current naming scheme, and yes I think they could've picked something a little bit more impressive than Mavericks but at the end of the day if it works an an OS and not something half assed by Vista then I'll hardly ever think of the name unless someone asks me or the next one is due to come out.

Wallpapers are even easier; one of the first things I do when I get a Mac is change it. :)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Thanks! Just barely made the cut again here (MBP 13" Mid-09) Phew...

You didn't just make the cut. The 15" from 2007 is included and the 13" MacBook (first generation aluminum unibody) from fall 2008 is actually the predecessor to your machine and made the cut as well. The only notebooks to really not make the cut from that era are the white and black acrylic MacBooks that preceeded the unibody models.

And considering that 2007 iMacs made the list as well means that most every machine that dates back 5-6 years is supported is pretty nice. Whether they have the RAM to run it well is another thing.

redcap0

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
Can someone tell me WHY its called Mavericks? The only thing that comes to mind is the Dallas Mavericks. :/

Mavericks is a local surf break, Half Moon Bay. Look at the promo X "wave", just a fine example of a 30+ foot face w/solid (min) 6 ft vertical take off. View the keynote, it'll all be explained.

Or better yet rent 'Chasing Mavericks' and get a better idea of a specific lifestyle.

Enjoy!

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
You didn't just make the cut. The 15" from 2007 is included and the 13" MacBook (first generation aluminum unibody) from fall 2008 is actually the predecessor to your machine and made the cut as well. The only notebooks to really not make the cut from that era are the white and black acrylic MacBooks that preceeded the unibody models.

And considering that 2007 iMacs made the list as well means that most every machine that dates back 5-6 years is supported is pretty nice. Whether they have the RAM to run it well is another thing.

I think he was referencing the fact that it's the oldest 13" Macbook Pro that is still supported.

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks! Just barely made the cut again here (MBP 13" Mid-09) Phew...

Same... lol. Hopefully we can hit that 5 year mark safely together still running the latest software. I've only had a few minor hiccups with this machine, had to replace the trackpad and battery (a given for a 4 year old laptop). Still goin strong, don't wanna give this bad boy up. Only thing that bothers me is the lack of Apple TV compatibility with this machine and audio support with HDMI out connector.

I think he was referencing the fact that it's the oldest 13" Macbook Pro that is still supported.

The Mid 09 13" MBP was the first 13" MBP. Before that the 13" Model lacked the "Pro" nomenclature (and the two preceding gens of that series are supported).

Looking at the list it seems like it basically supports anything that will run Mountain Lion.

DavidMarks

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2013
OS X Mavericks 10.9 PNG icon

Here's a PNG icon of the new OS X logo I made, for those interested:

OSXmavericks.png

tom123

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
surfers

Epic surf spot near Apple's home.[/QUOTE]

But only the very best dare to surf there!

suresh31

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
I am getting this error:

"The Install OS X 10.9 Developer Preview" application can't be used from this disk". Copy the application to a writable Mac OS Extended formatted disk and reopen it to continue installation.

My disk is Mac OS Extended Journaled and it is GUID. Not sure what I am missing here..

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
No matter how much unfinished or beta this is or how I will never be able to pronounce the name right. The most important thing is: Good bye 10.7! No more support for you from my side. I'm glad it's over. 10.6, 10.8 and 10.9 from now on.

I'm still on 10.7. Never upgraded to 10.8 but thought of "downgrading" to 10.6.

tknelson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
Agreed, naming OS's after places is unimaginative and derivative. and Mavericks is clunky. Intels processor names fail to excite similarly.

Well I guess this shouldn't have been a surprise. The one thing Californians share more than anything is an overly rosy view of how awesome their big screwed up state is.

At least it doesn't suck so much we have to say we are on the moon.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I am getting this error:

"The Install OS X 10.9 Developer Preview" application can't be used from this disk". Copy the application to a writable Mac OS Extended formatted disk and reopen it to continue installation.

My disk is Mac OS Extended Journaled and it is GUID. Not sure what I am missing here..

How did you put it on the drive/burn it on the disk?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Looks like a great update, but an ugly name - Mavericks.

Apple should have talked to a linguist, or an ad person.

What's wrong with the word Mavericks? It's actually more Apple than any cat & very reminiscent of the "crazy ones" ad campaign. Mavericks are bold people like Steve Jobs was.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
No more big cats :(
12+ years is a lot in the IT-industry.

----------

What's wrong with the word Mavericks? It's actually more Apple than any cat & very reminiscent of the "crazy ones" ad campaign. Mavericks are bold people like Steve Jobs was.
iAgree™ 100 %.

Craig Federighi said:
10:21 am We thought out of the box. OS X Sea Lion! (OK, maybe not).

10:22 am We want names that will carry us for the next ten years. The answer was really obvious. It's those places that inspire us here in California.

10:22 am For our first California themed release, we went to OS X Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.