Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced the winners of its annual Apple Design Awards at WWDC, highlighting an array of apps from utilities to games on both iOS and the Mac. Apple's Design Awards were created to recognize apps that "raise the bar in design, technology, and innovation."

adawinners.jpg
iPhone and iPad
Yahoo! Weather
- Badland
- Letterpress
- Ridiculous Fishing
- SkyGamblers: Storm Raiders (Also Available on Mac)
- Evernote (Also Available on Mac)

iPad Only
- WWF Together
- Procreate

Mac Only
- Coda 2

This year's awards also include two apps from student developers. Finish is a streamlined task manager designed to help users organize to-dos into tasks, while mosaic.io allows users to display a photo mosaic across two or more iOS devices.

Student Winners
- Finish
- mosaic.io

Finally, Apple highlighted three other student created apps which student scholarship applicants designed to describe their experience and background for a chance to win tickets to WWDC. Winners included Louis Harboe, Bryan Keller, and Puck Meerbug.

2012 winners of the Apple Design Awards included Jetpack Joyride, Paper, and Sketch.

Article Link: Apple Announces 2013 Design Awards, Winning Apps Include 'Letterpress' and 'Evernote'

daveheinzel

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Good to see Yahoo Weather on the list. It's amazing - almost to a point of suspicion - how many similarities it shares with iOS 7.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Procreate is terrific. One of the many answers to the question "What can't Android do as well as iOS"?

I think Yahoo won more than an award... their weather app (in some form) looks to be bundled soon. (Which makes some sense, since Yahoo has always supplied the data.)

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
their weather app (in some form) looks to be bundled soon. (Which makes some sense, since Yahoo has always supplied the data.)

Yep. There's nothing suspicious going on as some other comments have implied.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I see - I made the fatal mistake of assuming the judges cared about OS X apps when I submitted Battery Status to the student competition.

Oh well, congratulations to those that won. I'll be back next year... Maybe... I actually don't think I have any apps that can be sold on the App Store in the pipeline right now...

Rorque

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
Way to go Procreate ..!

It's such an astonishing app that I still can't believe, even after several weeks of using it, how amazing it is to draw with.
If these guys ever got 'round to deciding to go for a desktop version, expanded its remit, managed to get the extra talent they'd probably need to help 'em move on to the 'bigger' platform - well, it'd wipe the floor with a lot of the competition.
So pleased for them.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Of course they gave an award to Yahoo Weather. They basically stole the app outright for iOS 7.

With Yahoo's permission, of course.

GenesisJLS

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
Congratulations to all the developers! I wonder how many man hours it took to develop any one of those applications? (or the price tag)

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
How does Mailbox not win an award? Most innovative email client and productivity app in a long time IMHO. Maybe because it influence users to use gmail over icloud for email?

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
Evernote is one of the worst apps I have on my iPhone. The only reason it hasn't been deleted is copy paste doesn't work good in the app and it's too much work to get the previously entered notes in another app. But it looks awful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.