Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
ios7logo.png

DISCLAIMER: Before I say anything, I'd like to point out this is a BETA. This release isn't even made for me to be criticizing, but I'd like to give my opinion about it. I EXPECTED iOS 7 BETA 1 TO BE BUGGY AND YOU SHOULD TOO!

This thread may also help others who are considering trying iOS 7.

I have upgraded to iOS 7 via registered UDID on my ONLY -MAIN- iPhone 5. I performed a clean install.

Overall experience rating: 7/10
Graphics: 8/10
Smoothness: 5/10

Immediate problems:
-Overall performance: I am running an iPhone 5 (clean install) and I must say it does have lag spikes. I feel bad for anyone trying to use an iPhone 4. The lagspikes are mainly on the homescreen whilst performing actions such as invoking siri, mulitasking, or opening apps/folders. I do not notice much lag inside of applications themselves.
-Reported 3rd Party App Problems: I have yet to experience this, but many have reported 3rd Party Appstore apps crashing.
-Appstore: Searching is buggy. Performing a search sometimes returns blank results. (Bipolar)
-Messages: App is buggy. Bubbles do not always play nicely. They are often misaligned and bumping into each other. Screen most of the time does not adjust to show the read or delivered recipients, must be done manually.
-Switcher: As a huge fan of auxo, I believe this was a step in the right direction, BUT there is one major problem: There is no "quick" way to close apps. You cannot tap and hold like the traditional switcher and quickly tap away all icons. You must swipe all of the tasks away, which is tedious.
-Calling: Odd lockscreen glitches occur while in a call, mainly if you have a passcode set. Calling is also a bit laggy in general (the UI). The actual call itself is fine.
-Waiting for appstore icons to be updated: some developers still have nasty gloss (obviously)
-Battery issues: As with all BETAS, there is a little battery drainage. I have a feeling all these smooth animations and the 3Dish Icon Wallpaper effect is causing this.

Immediate pros:

-Control Center: Fast toggles similar to SBSettings!
-Awesome looking GUI (at a price, for now)
-Experience a stock device similar to our current jailbroken ones.
-I just love it.

A few final points:
-Do I recommend updating: Unless you REALLY, REALLY, cannot wait, just wait at least a few more betas. I must admit this beta is very buggy. The most annoying bugs being the messages glitch and the lagspikes.

Last edited:

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
your review doesnt state how iOS 7 plays with third party apps...

i read many apps are crashing or not working, including those which are widely used.

this should definitely go into your immediate problems section.

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013

i read many apps are crashing or not working, including those which are widely used.

this should definitely go into your immediate problems section.

I didn't include that because I didn't experience it, but I'll add it. Thanks. :p

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Really? This is great GUI? Really? I'm not upgrading to iOS 7 until there is a jailbreak. First thing i'm changing are the icons and the back buttons in apps.

I can design a better home screen within an hour.

500xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Really? This is great GUI? Really? I'm not upgrading to iOS 7 until there is a jailbreak. First thing i'm changing are the icons and the back buttons in apps.

I can design a better home screen within an hour.

It's a matter of opinion. I do agree the ICONS aren't the best, but I think the general UI is nice.

iFajar

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
It's a matter of opinion. I do agree the ICONS aren't the best, but I think the general UI is nice.

I also agree on the UI. I think it is well done. Take the settings app for example. This is how it should be done. If only they could put this into practice on the homescreen. The icons are really a no no for me...

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
There is no "quick" way to close apps. You cannot tap and hold like the traditional switcher and quickly tap away all icons.

I assume you're talking about force quitting apps from the pop-up task bar at the bottom of the screen.

Did you try dragging the icons up from that task bar to delete them? I don't have iOS7 yet but I believe I heard that that's the new design. (or maybe it was dragging the almost full screen image of a running app up when in that mode)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

For the most part - poorly. The old keyboard shows for them, most of them loose their default style, etc. They dont look like they are running on iOS7 at all.

Interestingly the Google apps are fine (other than the keyboard)

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
-Switcher: As a huge fan of auxo, I believe this was a step in the right direction, BUT there is one major problem: There is no "quick" way to close apps. You cannot tap and hold like the traditional switcher and quickly tap away all icons. You must swipe all of the tasks away, which is tedious.

I think that's because there's no real functional reason to close all of the apps. The only real reason to 'close' an app from the switcher would be if it's acting glitchy and you want to clear its saved memory state.

pixelchild

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
thanks for these impressions.

why is everyone so quick to be combative?

i truly appreciate you putting this together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.