Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
So who's heard of this? A bank account. I'm curious to see how many people think that this is a WalMart bank account. Just curious to see for real.

I already have this set up and it's nice.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Not that I've heard, just atm machines. WalMart already has its own poor excuse for a "bank". I've not heard anything good about it from any single source.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've seen it advertised in Walmart. I do my banking through a credit union so I really have no interest in it. I assume the advantage is lower fees, however most credit unions offer free checking without much, if any hoops and other banks offer free checking with direct deposit of your paycheck.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
This is the first time I heard about it but it sounds pretty good to me. I've already got an Amex card and a high-yield savings account with them and I'm very happy with both. It would be nice to have a physical ATM to get cash and a checking style account to use every day. I'm looking for somewhere to move my money out of Wells Fargo because since they bought my old bank (Wachovia) the service has gone down about 200% in quality and they've added all sorts of fees to my simple student checking account.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What's the point of these prepaid debit cards? I just don't get it....

I'll stick with my credit union. They have awesome service, they offered me the lowest possible rate on my new car - lower than financing through the manufacturer, and I can make fee free withdrawals and deposits at any co-op ATM in the country.

And the best part? They have absolutely nothing to do with the most disgraceful, most evil company in the world, Wal-Mart.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
What's the point of these prepaid debit cards? I just don't get it....

For you, or for them? ;)

For them, they get to use your interest-free money for other things, while it 'sleeps' on your debit card.

Think along the lines of running a credit balance on your AMEX credit card, and you'll get the general idea.

:D

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I have most of my money in a credit union BUT they aren't as wide spread as most commercial banks. I keep a BofA account purely for the ATM access. It'd be nice to get rid of BofA if I knew I could get an account where I could have ATM access in more places. That is why bluebird sounds interesting, but I'd prefer if it was Target, I go into Target way too often.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Actually, the card isn't just a prepaid card. American Express already has one of those. The Bluebird Amex card is a debit card that is tied to the bank account. :)

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Actually, the card isn't just a prepaid card. American Express already has one of those.

The Bluebird AMEX card is a debit card that is tied to the bank account.
:)

That makes even less sense.

Why not just have a debit card from that bank??

Addendum: Never mind. It's about points. Too bad you can't get a discount for the AMEX fee charged to the retailer, for a 'cash' purchase. But AMEX has strong-arm tactics to prevent that.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Not that I'd use this as a primary account but I signed up. I need to figure out how to get an additional user on the account before it can really replace my BofA account.

Something slightly disappointing:
Total Account Balance $10,000

That seems like an awfully low account balance to me but it wouldn't be my primary account, just something for ATM use/transfer money to primary account.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have most of my money in a credit union BUT they aren't as wide spread as most commercial banks. I keep a BofA account purely for the ATM access. It'd be nice to get rid of BofA if I knew I could get an account where I could have ATM access in more places. That is why bluebird sounds interesting, but I'd prefer if it was Target, I go into Target way too often.

I was with BoA then PNC before moving to a CU and I've found that I have more ATMs I can use because of the coop network.

dren1980

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
Well, here is something kind of Scarry! I had funds deposited into my bluebird account and attempted to withdraw at walmart. I first attempted to withdraw $300.00 with success. The system said their was a $1.50 fee associated with the withdraw, this was not the case and American Express took care of this automatically. I tried to take out another $200.00 directly after (With the bluebird card, you can take out a total of $500.00 per day). I was declined because it attempted to charge me that $1.50 again which would have made it $501.50. I went to look at my statement and found that Amex took out the $200.00 thinking I withdrew that money. I called Amex to advise that I have the printed reciept declining this, they said they would run an investigation. It's been 4 days, no response from Amex. I urge anyone needing a prepaid unbank card to STAY CLEAR OF THIS ONE!

ogs123

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
I got rid of my BofA checking account since I moved to a town where there aren't any BofA ATM's near. I've had a Charles Schwab checking account for a year now and I'm very happy with them. I can use any ATM and they automatically refund any ATM fees. It's great not having to look for a specific ATM. Charles Schwab also have relatively high checking interest compared to other banks.

dfkETCH76

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
Read this before set a bluebird wal mart amex

I recently made a purchase using my Wal Mart Blue Brid Amex card.
I ordered merchandise from dealextream.com for $45.88. To be exact 3 USB to Lighting 3 meter cables, 2 USB to Lightning 10 Meter flat cable. And 30 pin to Lighting adapter.

The cables arrived DOA, I mean DOA! The two 10 Meter lighting Cables connecter literally pulled apart when you removed the cable from the iphone, the same happened with the 3 meter cable. I contacted Dealextream about the products and also to complain that I never received the adapter. They requested pictures and I supplied them, this went on back and forth until I finally had enough. I told Dealextreme if they wanted the garbage back they would need to supply me with a prepaid return tho China, not a word to date.

I contacted Amex Blue Bird to file a dispute, you think you have yore back covered! Right, well you don't have any rights!!!! Amex tells me it will take 10 business days! Amex emailed me 8 days later asking for information, i sent them the complete records of exchanges with dealextreame.com including pictures of the faulty products. It's been 8 days and no word from amex! So today i called, no i''m told it takes 10 weeks for the dispute!!! I now have been out of $45.88, dealextream has since revised the invoice amount to 58.98..

So beware when you fall into this trap, amex treats you like the lowest scum of the earth because this is a pre paid card. Therefore you have no rights. Even visa master card issues a refund in 24 to 48 hours of the dispute. Both pre-paid and debit.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
USAA > Everyting

This, I've had them for car insurance for years, and would have them for my main banking operations if there were a branch that was closer than an hour away.

I've tried out this "BlueBird" card, and it's just more trouble than it's worth if you ask me. Loaded it once, once it ran out... no real incentive over my current bank to keep using it.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
This, I've had them for car insurance for years, and would have them for my main banking operations if there were a branch that was closer than an hour away.

I've tried out this "BlueBird" card, and it's just more trouble than it's worth if you ask me. Loaded it once, once it ran out... no real incentive over my current bank to keep using it.

I am in Florida so have no branches anywhere close. I havent had a need to use a branch ever. Everything I have needed to do I could do on the phone or in their app. What couldnt you do?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
There's really two reasons I can think of for anyone wanting a Bluebird or similar paycard:

(1) Your financial/credit history is so awful you're un-bankable, which I still don't know how this is possible. I'm sure some credit union would accept you.

(2) You have a garnishment you're looking to avoid paying. If you have a bank account, that's easy for creditors to find. If you have one of these cards, it'll take some time (2-4 weeks minimum) to find you after you start a new job and then it all depends on what sort of debt it is and if they can even compel your employer to withhold. Obviously if it's something federal/state (child support, taxes), you're screwed after they find you, but I bet you can avoid other debts easily.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
There's really two reasons I can think of for anyone wanting a Bluebird or similar paycard:

(1) Your financial/credit history is so awful you're un-bankable, which I still don't know how this is possible. I'm sure some credit union would accept you.

(2) You have a garnishment you're looking to avoid paying. If you have a bank account, that's easy for creditors to find. If you have one of these cards, it'll take some time (2-4 weeks minimum) to find you after you start a new job and then it all depends on what sort of debt it is and if they can even compel your employer to withhold. Obviously if it's something federal/state (child support, taxes), you're screwed after they find you, but I bet you can avoid other debts easily.

This really doesn't make sense because American Express IS a bank. The routing number and account number is listed as an American Express Centurion Bank account.

antonio4red

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2017
sacramento, ca
Actually, the card isn't just a prepaid card. American Express already has one of those. The Bluebird Amex card is a debit card that is tied to the bank account. :)
[doublepost=1499229634][/doublepost]bluebird is a good account but has limits. keeps you from overdrafting account, best way to use is direct deposit or deposit cash at wal mart free, can get 1000's of atm ie us bank no fee but amex will charge you a 2.50 fee but no bank atm fee.
[doublepost=1499230313][/doublepost]

(2) You have a garnishment you're looking to avoid paying. If you have a bank account, that's easy for creditors to find. If you have one of these cards, it'll take some time (2-4 weeks minimum) to find you after you start a new job and then it all depends on what sort of debt it is and if they can even compel your employer to withhold. Obviously if it's something federal/state (child support, taxes), you're screwed after they find you, but I bet you can avoid other debts easily.[/QUOTE

you have brought up some valid points but nowadays there is more to opening up a bank account then having money to deposit. The bluebird actually offers more then you think 1 you have amex buyers assurance, 2 amex autoclub breakdown will cost 50 bucks for service, 3 offers many discounts from alot of amex's retailers and cash kickbacks on some purchase 4 have access to your money through amex atm networks worldwide (including banks ie us bank, wal mart etc.
[doublepost=1499230898][/doublepost]
Well, here is something kind of Scarry! I had funds deposited into my bluebird account and attempted to withdraw at walmart. I first attempted to withdraw $300.00 with success. The system said their was a $1.50 fee associated with the withdraw, this was not the case and American Express took care of this automatically. I tried to take out another $200.00 directly after (With the bluebird card, you can take out a total of $500.00 per day). I was declined because it attempted to charge me that $1.50 again which would have made it $501.50. I went to look at my statement and found that Amex took out the $200.00 thinking I withdrew that money. I called Amex to advise that I have the printed reciept declining this, they said they would run an investigation. It's been 4 days, no response from Amex. I urge anyone needing a prepaid unbank card to STAY CLEAR OF THIS ONE!

go to us bank atm no bank fee there but amex charge 2.50 for withdrawing money from bluebird. did you call and see if they would raise your atm limit one time
[doublepost=1499231469][/doublepost]

amex has card for you at target it is called redbird i think it is still in operation have look online for it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.