Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Already I'm noticing lag on my 5th Gen. Touch... not as much as the 4th Gen. but still there. I only have 43 apps, (and seldom have more than a few open at the same time) but once a week or so I re-start the player and this frees up some RAM. Often, my Nano is faster at browsing music files.

My Xperia Z has 2Gbs of RAM. I don't think 512mb on the Touch is enough to make it very future-proof. What do you think?

2013-06-08%252018.17.44.png

2013-06-08%252018.19.35.png

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Of course 512MB is enough, you have lag because you don't even have enough HD space to UPDATE your iPod. It is recommended you leave some space.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I've actually got around 2Tbs of music, so that 53Gb is just a small subset.

Having just 1Gb of space left shouldn't matter regarding lag or lack of it - the space is there to be filled.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I'm getting slight lag on an iPhone 5. So while maybe not a "lagfest" expect lag to be somewhat present. I can't even imagine what it'll be like on the iPhone 4.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Haven't seen much lag on my 5th gen. It's nowhere near as fast as my nexus 4 but I'm surprised at how fluid it is given the hardware it has. I'm guessing it will have the occasional stutter with iOS 7 just as it does with iOS 6. Maybe a bit worse with 7 but it will be FAR better than the 4th gen attempting to run iOS6.

----------

I'm getting slight lag on an iPhone 5. So while maybe not a "lagfest" expect lag to be somewhat present. I can't even imagine what it'll be like on the iPhone 4.

Everyone I know with an iPhone 4 cringes when they have to unlock it. With iOS 7? God help them...

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Yar, more to worry about Iphone 4 with 512 ram and A4. Old old old chip used in Ipod touch 4 which is now officially out of Apple store.

Ipod touch 5 is considerbly new. It was released less than a year and another touch 16gb just released with same spec. IOS7 should run really smooth on this device.

Restart your device once a week is very normal. I have to restart my Iphone 4 once every 3-4 days to free up ram. I think its what should be done anyway. From my understanding, ios will shut down tasks on its own when realized that ram is running out. In such case, even if you have 1 or 2g of ram, restart once a week is inevitable.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Panacea

Double tap the Home button. Close all apps not used frequently. Congratulations. Your iPod is like new again.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Double tap the Home button. Close all apps not used frequently. Congratulations. Your iPod is like new again.

This isn't lag caused by having too many apps open; I can just have the music app open and sometimes there is lag.

No, it isn't jailbroken, and the lag is nothing like the 4th Gen. running ios6, but it's definitely there and noticeable, unlike when the player was new.

Re-starting the player once a week does seem to free up a lot of RAM until the next time, like the 250mb shown here, but eventually the available RAM will decrease to around 13 to 15mbs shown in the OP.

2013-06-11%252011.56.41.png

Now I don't think the Xperia Z is the best of phones...but at least the Sony has enough RAM - why couldn't Apple have put at least 1Gb of RAM in the Touch?

2013-06-11%252012.13.18.png

Last edited:

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
It's working fine for me on my iPod 5th generation. However, when I click on some apps, they open up slower than on iOS 6. Not sure why though...

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
well the question is "Will iOS 7 be a lagfest on the iPod Touch 5th Gen.?". the answer is yes, when it's a stable release, i'm running ios 7 beta 1 on my ipod touch 5 and it lags a lot, if it were my "main" device i would go back to ios 6 right away, but because i don't really need to use it now so i'm keeping ios 7 beta running to try new things

as for why your ipod touch 5 running ios 6 but still lags, i don't know, i thought it's because you store too much music/apps/videos,...
but my ipod touch when it was running ios 6 and i had about 3 gbs left didn't lag,
you my want to do a factory reset (back up first of course) to see if things get better
or go to the apple store

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Already I'm noticing lag on my 5th Gen. Touch... not as much as the 4th Gen. but still there. I only have 43 apps, (and seldom have more than a few open at the same time) but once a week or so I re-start the player and this frees up some RAM. Often, my Nano is faster at browsing music files.

My Xperia Z has 2Gbs of RAM. I don't think 512mb on the Touch is enough to make it very future-proof. What do you think?

Use http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/ and watch your memory get freed up. I saved 1.5 gb on first run with about 110 apps on my iphone 5 16gb

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

The13thDoctor

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
@TheRoyalDoctor
well the question is "Will iOS 7 be a lagfest on the iPod Touch 5th Gen.?". the answer is yes, when it's a stable release, i'm running ios 7 beta 1 on my ipod touch 5 and it lags a lot, if it were my "main" device i would go back to ios 6 right away, but because i don't really need to use it now so i'm keeping ios 7 beta running to try new things

as for why your ipod touch 5 running ios 6 but still lags, i don't know, i thought it's because you store too much music/apps/videos,...
but my ipod touch when it was running ios 6 and i had about 3 gbs left didn't lag,
you my want to do a factory reset (back up first of course) to see if things get better
or go to the apple store

Just curious, whats the battery life like? Cause on iOS 6, I can easily milk out 10 or 9 hours of light browsing

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Ya, the battery life on my iPod is insanely good presently - I much prefer reading books and listening to music on it versus my Xperia Z.

And just music and books I don't notice a lot of lag (except going through long lists in the music player sometimes).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think it has enough ram. I have the ipt5 and I don't have any lag. Everything is smooth and fast. In fact, I find that there is more lag on my samsung galaxy note with 1GB of ram.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Shouldn't lag too much as the ipad mini and the ipad 2 (same specs except clock speed) are also getting it. Main device you gotta worry about is the iPhone 4

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
i have ios 7 on my ipod 5 and it is slow if there are a few demanding games in the background, and on beta 1 it tends to restart itself every now and then if it is strained too much. hopefully in september they will give it 1GB of ram

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
i have ios 7 on my ipod 5 and it is slow if there are a few demanding games in the background, and on beta 1 it tends to restart itself every now and then if it is strained too much. hopefully in september they will give it 1GB of ram

You can't add ram software side if that's what you mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.