Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i don't mind the heft, but like others have said, if you can't sync with the case attached, no deal.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
i don't mind the heft, but like others have said, if you can't sync with the case attached, no deal.

This is the only flaw of the case in my opinion. The worst part is that Wi-Fi sync on my Mac only works when I quit iTunes and reopen it every time.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Man that "case" looks awful. It doesn't even protect the phone. The sides and chamfered edge are all exposed. One reviewer called it a "battery backpack" for the phone and I agree.

Whatever. Call it whatever you like. It works awesome at less than 1/2 the price and offers almost the same protection as the others. How often is the damage caused to the sides of a phone? From what friends working at Apple stores see, almost never.

I've never been a fan of cases and never used one with any of my iPhones since the initial release. I've never had any issues without a case. For me, all I'm using the Mota for is a quick charge when I need it. I only put it on days when I know I'm going to be out and away for an extended period of time and be using my phone substantially. Other than that I go case free 90% of the time.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I don't understand why anyone would spend $700 on a smartphone and then roll the dice on a product that will have questionable warranty and/or customer support, especially when said product has the potential to do significant harm to the phone's internals if it has any serious problems or wasn't properly designed.

I see it as $70 worth of piece of mind that if something does go wrong, it will be sorted out in a timely manner and to my satisfaction. Not to mention that the fit and finish of Mophie's stuff is fabulous IHMO.

So what you're saying is that Mophie has a lock on battery case technology and there can be no other competition? That by default every other battery case manufacturer has an inferior product with inferior customer service and support?
Who's to say that you're not 'rolling the dice' with a Mophie case?

One of the things that other battery cases do, that Mophie doesn't, is keep the phone's battery fully charged as the case battery depletes by default, only switching to the phone battery when the case battery gets low. This reduces discharge cycles on the phone. I'm no sure why Mophie doesn't do this.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
You can find the Air for $60-70 brand new on eBay. Just bought one for my brother and I actually prefer the bulk....it feels nicer in your hand like the iPhone 3G

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
So what you're saying is that Mophie has a lock on battery case technology and there can be no other competition? That by default every other battery case manufacturer has an inferior product with inferior customer service and support?

I never said that. :rolleyes: Many (if not most) inexpensive (read: discounted from normal prices) electronics or electronic accessories available on eBay are either cheap knockoffs of name brand items -or- name brand items being sold at a discount by a non-official retailer thereby voiding the warranty out of the box. Since the poster I quoted didn't specify the brand of their "$35 eBay battery case" I assumed it fell into one of those categories.

Who's to say that you're not 'rolling the dice' with a Mophie case?

Well, myself for one since I've owned their products previously, but how about the 140,000 people who follow them on their Facebook page? I'm pretty sure you don't build a following by making crappy products.

One of the things that other battery cases do, that Mophie doesn't, is keep the phone's battery fully charged as the case battery depletes by default, only switching to the phone battery when the case battery gets low. This reduces discharge cycles on the phone. I'm no sure why Mophie doesn't do this.

Well, unless I am completely misunderstanding you here, Mophie gives you the option by means of a switch. If you want to have what you're describing you simply just leave the switch set to "on". Not a big deal.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
There are alot of options that are cheaper than Mophie. How about this 2200mAh battery case for $69.95:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxboost-Atomic-External-Protective-Battery/dp/B00B4O7GIA/ref=pd_cp_MI_0

I bought this one before the JPA.. A lot like the helium, but half the price. It's pretty good, the only thing I like better about the mophie is that I can charge BOTH my phone and the case at the same time and I can use more than a full charge to charge my iPhone. Can't do that with the iCanonic Elite.

http://www.amazon.com/iCanonic-Rechargeable-Extended-iPhone-Battery/dp/B00B930O9O

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Thanks to the Mophie Juice Pack Air I have on my iPhone 5, it doesn't feel so tiny.

It has the nice tactile soft touch surface that does _not_ pull lint out of my pocket, and it's very comfortable due to the convex back.

Run times are amazing, yet I give them credit for going big and building this newest model for those who do flights across the globe and back in a couple of days as many international business execs do.

When I go abroad three or four times a year, my flights are not as close together. Nonetheless I've been using Mophie's for some time now, they are just terrific. Fit finish and function fit for Apple. :)

----------

Simple really, "Lightning" is 3 parts hype, 1 part performance :)

Still better than mUSB, and at least Apple people already have that cord.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

Bad guess on your part.

The Mophie Juice Pack Air I have on my iPhone 5, gives the user complete control over which battery is used to power the phone. Slide the switch to one position to use the Mophie battery, or move the switch to the other position to use the phones battery. This is the third year I've installed a Juice Pack on my new iPhones. It sees a lot of usage & holds up very well.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I bought an Anker Astro Mini ($22 shipped) which is a sleek external battery that gives it a full charge. I have a 2nd lightning cable to use for it. I'll keep it in my car for when I know i'll need it for long days outdoors.Fits nicely in my coin pocket.

I rock my iPhone 5 naked, and like to keep it that way.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
That's probably the best idea but can't, or just don't want to, go another day without my Mophie. As someone who uses their iPhone a lot and had to charge during the day nearly everyday it truly is a great product.

I understand. Personally, I prefer Mophie's juice pack, has twice the charging capability for $80; it's just not a cover for the phone, but I don't particularly mind that.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
By the way, I went to an Apple Store today (City Creek Center) and this new Mophie wasn't in stock yet.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Bad guess on your part.

The Mophie Juice Pack Air I have on my iPhone 5, gives the user complete control over which battery is used to power the phone. Slide the switch to one position to use the Mophie battery, or move the switch to the other position to use the phones battery. This is the third year I've installed a Juice Pack on my new iPhones. It sees a lot of usage & holds up very well.

You missed the two words 'by default' in my statement. Mophie doesn't use the case battery by default, it gives you the choice via a switch. Whether that is preferable is a matter of personal opinion. I got a battery case for one of my kids and I need it to keep the iPhone battery as fully charged as possible by default. Options may be better for adults who pay attention and know to flick the switch when their phone battery gets low - in my opinion it's not so good for the inattentive and for children, who can accidently leave the switch off.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Bad guess on your part.

I'm loving this post because I need a pack desperately. With that said are there any other brands that charge both the pack and the phone at the same time as well as gives users the choice of which battery is being used? Any of them allow sync when plugged in? Im gathering that sync is only done via wifi which I've never done. Is it easy to do? Sounds like it should be. Thanks.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm loving this post because I need a pack desperately. With that said are there any other brands that charge both the pack and the phone at the same time as well as gives users the choice of which battery is being used? Any of them allow sync when plugged in? Im gathering that sync is only done via wifi which I've never done. Is it easy to do? Sounds like it should be. Thanks.
I'm not locked into iTunes, therefore all my synching is done wirelessly. This is why I find the Mophie so ideal.

I've tried some of the other battery pack cases, but none fit so perfectly, nor were they of such high quality as Mophie which is an approved by Apple accessory & sold by Apple. In fact it's the only Apple approved extended battery.

The beauty is I never have to remove it, nor would I want too since it makes the phone so much more comfortable to hold. The soft touch material on the convex shaped back gives the phone a much nicer feel than the flat slab shape of the bare phone. It's a great accessory. I easily get twice the battery life with the Juice Pack Air.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California

MaxBoost battery packs allow syncing via the micro-USB jack, at least on the iPhone 4S. Don't know about the 5.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Being a pilot, I need more battery. On the fence wether I should buy mophie juice pack boost or the new battery case by them. Only downfall, I have a blet clip/case for my iphone...

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
That's what I meant, I can charge my Icanonic case and the phone at the same time.

Mine doesn't work like that. Guess they fixed some? It always says this: ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370229019.148553.jpg

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
Anyone find the white ones yet at a local retail outlet?
BB & AT&T stores have the black ones. Looking for a white one without having to order direct from Mophie.

TIA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.