Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
I am just looking to get into sudo/3-d graphic design with logos and things. and would like a free program for mac/pc that is dumbed down enough like imovie was when I was first getting into film and like iphoto was when I was first getting into photos.

anything you guys would recomend

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I am just looking to get into sudo/3-d graphic design with logos and things. and would like a free program for mac/pc that is dumbed down enough like imovie was when I was first getting into film and like iphoto was when I was first getting into photos.

anything you guys would recomend

Blender is free, but it's not that easy to use or learn.

Cinema 4D is not free, but there's a 3 month free trial (though you can't save), but it's really intuitive and easy to learn.

Neither one of those are really "training wheels" programs like you asked for, but I don't know of a training wheels program that works similarly to the pro level stuff.

Out of those two, I would highly recommend Cinema 4D. It's generally regarded as the "designer's 3D program," and is the standard for motion graphic design. I went from knowing nothing about Cinema 4D to using it at a professional level (at least enough to get a job as a motion designer) in a little under 3 years. If you choose to take that route, GreyscaleGorilla is a great site to learn Cinema 4D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.