Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
This is a question i've been curious to ask, and it is if apple has fixed their Maps app to where you can actually use it without problems like it had in IOS 6.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I haven't had a single problem with maps in iOS 6. On both my iPhone and iPad. Everything has worked rock solid since installing the GM back in September. Maybe people here and there experienced hiccups with maps but I really don't think the problem was as bad as people made it out to be.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I haven't had a single problem with maps in iOS 6. On both my iPhone and iPad. Everything has worked rock solid since installing the GM back in September. Maybe people here and there experienced hiccups with maps but I really don't think the problem was as bad as people made it out to be.

I have an absolute nightmare with points of interest. They are in the wrong spot or do not exist half the time. Google Maps has permanently replaced it for me.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I have an absolute nightmare with points of interest. They are in the wrong spot or do not exist half the time. Google Maps has permanently replaced it for me.

Yeah that was my main problem too. Roads were fine but it was telling me nonsense like there were a grand choice of two McDonald's Restaurants in Ireland when there are at least 50. Drive to Dublin for the nearest hotel sort of rubbish.

I stuck with google maps for that reason.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I use Maps all the time, haven't had issues. I don't use google maps because the majority of the time i need to use GPS functionality i use Siri, which automatically opens Maps.

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
I tried updating to IOS 7 today but it failed. As far Maps, I hope it is improved as it is some times unreliable. As an example I went to Lincoln, NE for work. Two different times a coworker and I had to make runs to the same place. I used Google Maps and he used the default. In both cases he was given the wrong directions.

Now I do prefer Apple Maps but its reliability is a concern.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
There's really no yes or no answer to this. It's been perfectly fine for me since day one. Some places might have been bad before and fixed now. Others might have been, and still are, really bad. It's just too big of a project for everything to be fixed by now. It's really going to depend on each area.

daigohgoh

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Even if iOS7 maps isn't fixed, you can still use Google Maps regardless (now with Waze technology! :D)

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Apple updates mapping data constantly and it doesn't require an OS update to do so. Therefore, it's not iOS 7 that will fix maps but rather all the little server side updated Apple does on a regular basis.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The only reason I stopped using Maps recently is the lack of a night mode. Half the time I drive at night. I downloaded Waze and may or may not keep using it. I really miss some of the extras of my Magellan app -- just not the extra 1.6GB in storage it took up.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009

Uh, how about flat-out WRONG directions (e.g. wrong freeway, wrong turns, etc.)

OP: Maps has been dramatically improved UI-wise. I love how it looks and feels. I don't know about the actual navigating though.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Apple Maps for driving = GREAT

Apple Maps for Points of Interest = USELESS

Let's hope they really fix it properly. It will take more than a Night Mode lick of paint.

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
I really do appreciate the feedback guys! It is kind of annoying having two map apps when i prefer one. Always been using Google Maps ever since the Apple Maps had its scare and such in IOS 6. Its like the weather app as well, I have 2 other apps aside from apples, mainly cause of better functionality and other minor things. Wish they added in the option of hiding icons still!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The only reason I stopped using Maps recently is the lack of a night mode. Half the time I drive at night. I downloaded Waze and may or may not keep using it. I really miss some of the extras of my Magellan app -- just not the extra 1.6GB in storage it took up.

iOS 7 Maps have night mode now.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
No, they aren't fixed - its not an app problem, its a problem with Apple's data being massively flawed.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
The maps data is constantly being updated, so there's not a difference between iOS 6 and iOS 7. The only difference would be the user interface of the app itself, but the data is the same. (The quality of that data is another story).

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
The app has had the top and bottom UI modified to fit the iOS 7 theme and they added a night mode but the rest is the same including the actual graphics of the maps. The "problem" with Maps is the underlying data which is weaker on road location and changes than Google Maps and MUCH, MUCH weaker on location of points of interest such as restaurants etc. That is *slowly* improving in real time as Apple adds that data on the server side but it is a work in progress and Google isn't standing still. I think Apple needs several more years of throwing everything they have at the problem until the differences become negligible. This isn't because Apple is terrible it is because these things take time and Google had a head start of 7-8 years!

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Apple Maps is adequate, but Google Maps is much better. It has better traffic data including side roads and the points of interest is no contest). I also prefer street view, but that can vary by person.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
The maps data is constantly being updated

Some, myself included, would question this. I have reported an error on a PoI near my home multiple times now, and by multiple I mean about a half dozen, and the error still is not fixed. I have reported several other issues, not as much, and they have not been fixed.

I understand that Apple Maps are still somewhat new and there will be errors, but when those errors are not corrected, that's when I have a problem.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Some, myself included, would question this. I have reported an error on a PoI near my home multiple times now, and by multiple I mean about a half dozen, and the error still is not fixed. I have reported several other issues, not as much, and they have not been fixed.

I understand that Apple Maps are still somewhat new and there will be errors, but when those errors are not corrected, that's when I have a problem.

I agree - the quality of the data is suspect.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
This is a question i've been curious to ask, and it is if apple has fixed their Maps app to where you can actually use it without problems like it had in IOS 6.

First of, problems will always exist. And second, apple maps is not unusable in iOS 6 but thanks for furthering the stereotype.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Yes, they've created new tile sets worldwide, but they're going to reserve use for iOS 7 and the iPhone 5s.

I think Jony did all the mapping himself and drew an accurate representation using only freehand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.