Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superman4388

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
I have been lucky enough to receive the dreaded: B-Tree error

My question is.. will DiskWarrior fix it? and is this a signal that my harddrive is heading downhill?

any other insights would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I have in the past had good results with that type of error with DW as that is really what it optimized for- recreating damaged directory information.

As anytime you results may vary- and a backup of all the data that you can backup on the drive before beginning is always recommended.

Edit: BTW that error does not always indicate a failing drive. Something as simple as having to force shut down the computer with the power button when locked up can cause an error like that. I can't recall having a drive that threw that error in the process of failing as a matter of fact, but there is always a first time!

Harris Henderso

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
invalid b tree node failure

If your machine won't boot w/o DVD; then what is to be done? The target disk mode does not appear in Finder without the DVD and with it, you can't get to the data in the first place.

Harris Henderso

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
Could you explain how/if DW would work if you can't get the fried HD to appear in target disk mode when connected to an operational desktop?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Could you explain how/if DW would work if you can't get the fried HD to appear in target disk mode when connected to an operational desktop?

If a disk is gone to the point of being unmountable as a Target disk, DW would have no chance of helping there as it would indicate a physical failure of the disk mechanism itself, not a software/directory error that the OP was asking about and DW is intended for. :(

Harris Henderso

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
Mounting as a Target Disk

When I try to mount it as a target disk it says its unreadable; but allows me to take a look at it through disk utility (this is in the working desktop) -- then I get the same b-tree node size error. Any other thoughts? If I put it in the freezer will that help?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
OK, it appears that I may have misunderstood what you were saying then- if you can see it in Disk Utility, you don't need to boot from it. DW comes on a bootable disk that you start up the computer from- and if Disk Utility can see then disk, then DW should be able to see the disk in it's list of available disks too so should have a good chance of pulling the directory back into shape.

It still does not explain the fact that you cannot mount the drive in target mode I will admit- that does not make sense if you can see the drive in Disk Utility.:confused:

The freezer trick that so many people talk about is reserved for a physically failiing drive on its very last legs and really represents a VERY last gasp thing to try!

Harris Henderso

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
This is really helpful!

So SickMacDoc, you might be new hero! Here's what has transpired since I posted last night.

This morning, I tried to mount it again in Target Disk Mode. I connected it and waited. The desktop recognized that an external HD was connected, but declared it unreadable. It did let me try to run Disk Utility from the desktop on the mac partition of the HD (the wierdest thing about this whole thing is that the Windoze partition appears to be working . . . except that I accidentally erased the OS from that partition as well)
Based on what you had said, I bit the bullet and took the macbook into the local reseller: for 60 bucks they are going to look and see if they can remove the hard drive and get a look at it on their "machine" which I assume is just a casing that will treat it like an external (I could probably do this myself, but didn't want to try -- I'd have to buy the casing etc and the extra coin is worth the peace of mind to me). If they can see anything, they'll pull whatever they can at their hourly rate. And then they'll tell me to buy a new HD.

So here's my questions: if they can see anything.
1. Should I let them mess with it and pay through the nose. Or should I thank them for their time, pay the 60 bucks and, with some patience order the DW disk and do it myself.
2. Will the HD be useable after all of this? Or am I in the market for a new one?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
OK, let's try this again! :eek:

First off, to be honest both of your questions are tough to answer due to the uncertainty of the physical condition of the drive. Hmmm....

As to the first question, that one will kind of answer the second one after all is said and done. My first thought would have been to try DW first (and if you have an Apple store within reason they carry it in stock normally) before beginning, but the $60 you already have committed to them changes things! ;)

I suppose the simplest thing at this point is to have them diagnose what is recoverable (although I suspect the whole drive will be) and give you a quote before proceeding with it. If they claim that everything is recoverable I can guarantee they are just using software tools (perhaps as simple as a full run through DW or perhaps recovering files with Data Rescue II- another indispensable tool!) since the other method of data recovery requires highly advanced software and often a "clean room" that the local shop is not going to have. If that is the result, then additional recovery would have to be based on their estimated cost- if it is huge it kind of answers itself since I don't know how much it is worth to you. If it is reasonable, it might be more economical to let them do it since you already committed to $60 and the software would cost more than that. Perhaps they will just say that it is physically damaged and no recovery is possible after all! :confused:

I know this is not helping really- but it is just so uncertain as to the the condition of the drive!!! :(

I have another idea, so please check your Private Messages before too long OK?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
If you're not backed up, put the machine into target mode, hook it up to another Mac via firewire, and retrieve your home directory NOW.

timaging

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
I would be interested in knowing as well. I'm in total panic mode, am up to over 2,000 disk malfunctions in DW and have been running it for over 12 hours now. Clients are freaking out a bit and I really could use a quick solution.

Is it critical to do the clean OS install to alleviate the problem? If it's possible that the Hard Drive is actually fine, what tools can I use to check and ensure that this is the case before investing in yet another hard drive? The one in question is a Western Digital Caviar Green, and has been in my machine for just over a week.

thanks,
Dave

pideja

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
Invalid B-Tree Node Size in a RAID 0 array

I have two disks in a RAID 0 array containind only data, 1Tb worth of it. These are in a MacPro running Snow Leopard. Since yesterday, I'm getting the "Invalid B-Tree Node Size "error message and my disks will not show up in the Finder.
Disk Utility sees the disks but fails to inspect or repair them. Tech Tools will not function on them because it can't unmount the disks.
Anyway to recover the data?
Can this problem be software based or machanical (disk failure)?
Can this problem be fixed?

orangermac

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2007
I have been lucky enough to receive the dreaded: B-Tree error

My question is.. will DiskWarrior fix it? and is this a signal that my harddrive is heading downhill?

any other insights would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

DiskWarrior just fixed this error for me (June 11, 2013).

Disk Utility and TechTool Pro (older version) failed with errors earlier.

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
DiskWarrior just fixed this error for me (June 11, 2013).

Disk Utility and TechTool Pro (older version) failed with errors earlier.

How long sis the process take?
was it on your system drive or an external? FW? USB?
how large of a drive was it?

Im looking to repair an External Segate FW 1TB drive... Disk utility can see the drive but cant repair it. the OS want to initialize the rive each time its connected or system is rebooted.

Thanks
Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.