Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nFinity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
http://flickr.com/photos/43591920@N00/43685943/
http://flickr.com/photos/43591920@N00/43685944/

Hey all,

Running into an extremely weird problem. I can play all my music from iTunes fine, but my Music folder has become completely empty in the Finder as well as through the Terminal. If I do get info on it, I get "Zero KB" but as you can see from the images, I'm playing music from that folder just fine. Podcasts work fine as well.

Does anyone know what could have happened here? I was just about to back up all my music and take my 200th attempt at getting iTunes 5.0 working properly when I noticed the folder was apparently empty.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's crazy. What exactly were you doing right before you noticed this? Have you repaired permissions (albeit a feeble attempt at fixing this sort of problem, worth a try though). Are you running third party theme changers? I noticed your Home icon is different, did you do that manually or through some sort of hack? Are you running FileVault and could this be related?

This is weird.

An iTunes 5.0 fix is coming out next week so hopefully things may go back to normal then.

nFinity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Yes, that's the FileVault icon.

I've tried multiple times now to repair the permissions and rebooted several times as well. I'm noticing now that the same thing has happened to my Movies folder - I know there are files in there but I can't see them.

Prior to having this problem, not sure if this was the case, I ran a third party app called Cocktail and rebuilt the launch services database, and updated the 'whatis' database. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

At this point, I'm considering just reinstalling Tiger. I've had so many issues lately with iTunes and otherwise that starting from scratch might just be the best option for me.

Time to start backing up...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So is FileVault on or are you just using the icon as a replacement for your Home folder (or whichever folder it was)? Try running with FileVault turned off for a while if so.

You shouldn't need to reinstall the OS just yet. At least wait for the updated iTunes first. I can't imagine Cocktail would have done this although it's a pretty powerful app and it has the ability to do some crazy stuff to your settings. Having said that, the two processes you ran are pretty harmless/safe AFAIK.

What exactly is wrong with iTunes too?

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I would listen to mad jew as there has been lots of bugs in iTunes 5, when installing. Wait for the fix and see if it solves the problem before considering alternatives :)

nFinity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
But how could iTunes cause two of my folders (Music, Movies) to become totally blank? There are files there, I know there are, they're just not showing up.

The problem I was having with 5 is that it would import my library every time I started it up, and then claim that the library was damaged, resulting in my podcasts and many playlists being lost.

The plan before this all happened was to wipe out my music folder after backing it up, install iTunes 5, then re-add my music from a clean slate.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I'd suggest highlighting any song and then hitting command-r . That will show you the source file in the finder. If it doesn't bring up anything then yeah, you've got problems.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The chances of me being right is going to be about 1% because of the location of your music in the "GET INFO" screen, but you should know that you can still play music even if the music has been trashed. You only lose the song when you empty your trash bin.

Check your trash bin for your music. Honestly. I once deleted my Pictures folder without even knowing it. I don't think I did that, but apparently, I did. :rolleyes: I had almost all of it backed up on my iPod, but still, what a scare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.