Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
What I loved most about WWDC was the big middle finger Apple gave the media and Wall Street. Basically what they said is they make a few really great products and take their time perfecting them, making them better. And they're not going to morph in to Samsung releasing new gadgets every other week just to please Wall Street or the tech press bordem. I hope this signals a new edgier Apple that isn't afraid to give the middle finger more often. :)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It is certainly clear Apple want to deliver some great pieces of tech. Certainly the best WWDC in a long time. I'm looking forward to spending my £ on a new Mac Pro.

Whether they wanted to piss the media off is debatable.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I don't see it as an FU to the media and Wall Street, I see it as Apple trying to regain control of the Apple narrative. After the success of the iPod, Apple got billions and billions of dollars worth of free press until about a year ago. Then the press turned on Apple and created this new narrative of Apple can't innovate, Apple is dying etc.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I don't think it was an intentional FU to the media/Wall Street, but it sure turned out that way. For me, it was Apple going back to their roots, not trying to "keep pace" with the competition, not trying to be all things to all people, not trying to release cheap products so they can move more units. They're truly focusing on making world class products, continuing to innovate, and concerning themselves more with challenging themselves internally to create the best products in the world, and less with getting caught up in the marketing/media catfight with their competitors.

After yesterday, everything from the software to the marketing feels so refreshed and refocused in a positive, unique way. I love it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I don't see it as an FU to the media and Wall Street, I see it as Apple trying to regain control of the Apple narrative. After the success of the iPod, Apple got billions and billions of dollars worth of free press until about a year ago. Then the press turned on Apple and created this new narrative of Apple can't innovate, Apple is dying etc.

Agreed. Hopefully they're getting control of the narrative now. The new ad is great. But I still think they were sending a message to Wall Street/media that they're not going to adopt the Samsung model of flooding the market with product.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Agreed. Hopefully they're getting control of the narrative now. The new ad is great. But I still think they were sending a message to Wall Street/media that they're not going to adopt the Samsung model of flooding the market with product.

Nope, they will just continue suing samsung for ripping off their ideas, then steal Microsoft's design ideas for windows 8 (flat, thin fonts very minimalist) and implement them in iOS 7, not to mention add a bunch of features android has had for years. Yup Apple has been very innovative lately.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Nope, they will just continue suing samsung for ripping off their ideas, then steal Microsoft's design ideas for windows 8 (flat, thin fonts very minimalist) and implement them in iOS 7, not to mention add a bunch of features android has had for years. Yup Apple has been very innovative lately.

So should Apple not offer these useful features because someone else did them first? Then I guess Google shouldn't have offered a music service that was a copy of Spotify.

Oh and who's most likely to blame for Apple not being first with certain features or design? Steve Jobs.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
You know the fact of the matter is that iOS is still the same thing. All they did was change the look and added things that have been done and acted like it was new. Guess that's how it works though. And even that's getting questionable responses. Plenty of the features introduces with iOS 7 have been available on Android.

I found it funny when they mentioned that the limit of 8 tabs on Safari was no more. I mean this is 2013 and that gets a mention? And that 3D tab view for Safari. Chrome for Android (not sure about iOS) does that already.

iOS is a fine OS I'm sure, but when it comes to the iPhone/iPad/etc., Apple's stale. You saw a 'new feature' and the response for those who know, are, yea it's been done. So what?

I would love to switch to the iPhone, but iOS prevents that from happening. It's clear Apple won't be making any truly drastic changes to iOS. So be it. I'm sticking with what works for me. If you like iOS, great. More power to you. But, again, Android has had much of that stuff for a while now.

As for the Mac Pro, while I'm impressed by it, it's disappointing to see it's been locked down now. Nothing is going to be upgradeable. What if you want to upgrade the graphics card? You can't. Specs wise the Mac Pro is an epic pro. But in practically, I'm not so sure. I think it's time to find other ways to use OS X. Great OS for me, but not the way Apple's plans are for the hardware. But I am exciting about the new OS X. Apple seems to have it there.

Oh and I loved Tim Cook's (I think it was him) comment that 2/3 of Android users are on 2010 software. Yes that is true, but it's not a fair comparison. Samsung, HTC, etc do NOT run pure Android thus users have to wait for their carriers to give them the latest version. What he should have compared iOS to was Nexus. Yea iPhone has more market share obviously, but the percentage would be MUCH more comparable. I love how executives can twist the truth. That goes for all companies, not just Apple.

And Mr. Phil..."Apple can't innovate my ass" ... hehe :rolleyes:

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
So should Apple not offer these useful features because someone else did them first? Then I guess Google shouldn't have offered a music service that was a copy of Spotify.

Oh and who's most likely to blame for Apple not being first with certain features or design? Steve Jobs.

No I said apple shouldn't sue people then turn around and do that exact same thing they are suing over.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

I think it is more the fact that Apple are often the first to point lawsuits at companies for apparent 'copying.' They are the ones that were prepared to 'thermonuclear' over it. And yet iOS 7 is nothing but...

I hope Apple have realised that innovation does not occur without inspiration and have a change of attitude. Because they're looking increasingly hypocritical. Not that will effect sales I'm sure, but maybe one day competitors will begin suing back.

Its about time Apple matured and stopped accusing everyone of copying. Did they really expect nobody else to follow their lead on mobile devices?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I think it is more the fact that Apple are often the first to point lawsuits at companies for apparent 'copying.' They are the ones that were prepared to 'thermonuclear' over it. And yet iOS 7 is nothing but...

I hope Apple have realised that innovation does not occur without inspiration and have a change of attitude. Because they're looking increasingly hypocritical. Not that will effect sales I'm sure, but maybe one day competitors will begin suing back.

Its about time Apple matured and stopped accusing everyone of copying. Did they really expect nobody else to follow their lead on mobile devices?

I have a feeling we're going to see less of it now that Steve is gone. Samsung is a special case of course and I think there's just bad blood between the companies. But I do think these lawsuits have proven how ridiculous software patents are.

icelord

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2004
You know the fact of the matter is that iOS is still the same thing. All they did was change the look and added things that have been done and acted like it was new. Guess that's how it works though. And even that's getting questionable responses. Plenty of the features introduces with iOS 7 have been available on Android.

I found it funny when they mentioned that the limit of 8 tabs on Safari was no more. I mean this is 2013 and that gets a mention? And that 3D tab view for Safari. Chrome for Android (not sure about iOS) does that already.

iOS is a fine OS I'm sure, but when it comes to the iPhone/iPad/etc., Apple's stale. You saw a 'new feature' and the response for those who know, are, yea it's been done. So what?

I would love to switch to the iPhone, but iOS prevents that from happening. It's clear Apple won't be making any truly drastic changes to iOS. So be it. I'm sticking with what works for me. If you like iOS, great. More power to you. But, again, Android has had much of that stuff for a while now.

As for the Mac Pro, while I'm impressed by it, it's disappointing to see it's been locked down now. Nothing is going to be upgradeable. What if you want to upgrade the graphics card? You can't. Specs wise the Mac Pro is an epic pro. But in practically, I'm not so sure. I think it's time to find other ways to use OS X. Great OS for me, but not the way Apple's plans are for the hardware. But I am exciting about the new OS X. Apple seems to have it there.

Oh and I loved Tim Cook's (I think it was him) comment that 2/3 of Android users are on 2010 software. Yes that is true, but it's not a fair comparison. Samsung, HTC, etc do NOT run pure Android thus users have to wait for their carriers to give them the latest version. What he should have compared iOS to was Nexus. Yea iPhone has more market share obviously, but the percentage would be MUCH more comparable. I love how executives can twist the truth. That goes for all companies, not just Apple.

And Mr. Phil..."Apple can't innovate my ass" ... hehe :rolleyes:

Wow.

*The OS looks different, you won't get lost in the change, but you expect a radical change on something that is working very well?

*Features can be compared and "stolen" between companies, but don't miss the trees for the forest. All OEMs changed (except Nokia and BB, it took them a bit too long) to look like an iPhone, the day iPhone was announced.

*3D and tab limit, I agree, but is that your biggest problem? One that it makes your list?

*The OS stops you from switching, and you want "drastic changes"? I am glad what you have works for you. Not sure what drastic changes you want...

*Mac Pro, interesting approach. I am not a fan of "locked" down pro desktops either, but keep in mind that all other platforms are fixed already. I am sure we are in the minority to look to upgrade the video card before the 3-5 year life of a pro machine is up...Agreed, good specs.

*The comment on 2010 holds true. If you ask most Android users, they are running ancient OS without an option. It is a fair comparison. You make an "unfair" attempt to hand-select a small segment of users to compare against the iPhone. Otherwise, don't say "Android" in your rants from an inferiority complex, say "Nexus". It is not twisting the truth. The reality is that most Android users are looking for the cheapest free phone that has a touch screen, they make calls, and buy very little content or applications.

Just as with those who want to upgrade the MacPro, there is a subset of gear heads that like to hack and customize their Android experience. They are in the population that could actually tell you what Ben & Jerry's flavor of OS they run and totally love their experience. More power to them.

Most people just want their phone to work, and some care more about screen size, battery life, or OS look and feel. Android is like the swampy mess of Windows with OEMs cranking out new specs every few months and proliferating the driver needs beyond what the separate OS company can deliver. This creates a middle man process of OEMs managing updates and delivery issues and bugs.

The carriers aren't the hold up, my friend, it is the OEMs... (in more ways than you know).

marcs09

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
Never think a company will build the perfect box!

Hey tech4all,
Please reread your paragraph. You got to start considering alternatives.

"As for the Mac Pro, while I'm impressed by it, it's disappointing to see it's been locked down now. Nothing is going to be upgradeable. What if you want to upgrade the graphics card? You can't. Specs wise the Mac Pro is an epic pro."

You want to upgrade?
Get a PCIe breakout box and attach via Thunderbolt. Black magic Design or Sonnet or others have dedicated hardware to do very specific tasks.
You are still envisioning an overly large computer box and there is no longer a need for that kind of architecture. Please quit asking for the same old stuff.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I do see the Mac Pro and MacBook Air updates as big FUs to Wall Street. OS X also got to a point there.

Now, regarding iPhone OS 7, no. That was more of a pleasing of the masses with their cry to redo the theme. However, they did do some good things with it. The problem? A year too late and Wall Street and press compare it to Android.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I do see the Mac Pro and MacBook Air updates as big FUs to Wall Street. OS X also got to a point there.

Now, regarding iPhone OS 7, no. That was more of a pleasing of the masses with their cry to redo the theme. However, they did do some good things with it. The problem? A year too late and Wall Street and press compare it to Android.

So people complain that iOS doesn't have feature a, b, c and then when Apple gives to them they complain that it's too late. :rolleyes: But if you want to blame someone for that you'd have to blame Jobs and Forstall. Which is kind of hard to do because one is dead and the other no longer works for Apple.

As far as the UI changes, it seems pretty clear Ive has hated the look of iOS for a long time. If he had control over it years ago it probably would have looked different long before 2013.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
So people complain that iOS doesn't have feature a, b, c and then when Apple gives to them they complain that it's too late. :rolleyes: But if you want to blame someone for that you'd have to blame Jobs and Forstall. Which is kind of hard to do because one is dead and the other no longer works for Apple.

As far as the UI changes, it seems pretty clear Ive has hated the look of iOS for a long time. If he had control over it years ago it probably would have looked different long before 2013.

You apparently like to drink the Apple-Kool-Aide a lot. Apple could easily have given us such features slowly over the course of iPhone OS 5. Just like they did with iPhone OS 2.1 and 2.2, which were packed with several feature enhancements that did bring a lot to the table. Ever since iPhone OS 3, Apple has lacked any feature wise factor that drove iPhone OS 1 and iPhone OS 2. Out of ideas? Hardly, they have the kind of mind power behind them to break open nifty little ideas.

I think they got complacent with the iPhone and thought it would take years before people caught up to them. Yes, it did take years, but not as much as they thought it would. Android got in full swing in two years and Samsung has led that charge high and might. Apple is making changes to try to regain a lead, and by doing so they must first give what they chose not to give while others did, and then come up with ideas that puts them in the led. In other words, this year is Apple's catch up and create-a-pace year.

Evidence of that is easily seen in the Mac Pro, the new OS X features and the nice stolen features Apple grabbed with jailbreak developers. Remember, that App Store they love to brag about started out as Cydia and Installer back in 2007.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
You apparently like to drink the Apple-Kool-Aide a lot. Apple could easily have given us such features slowly over the course of iPhone OS 5. Just like they did with iPhone OS 2.1 and 2.2, which were packed with several feature enhancements that did bring a lot to the table. Ever since iPhone OS 3, Apple has lacked any feature wise factor that drove iPhone OS 1 and iPhone OS 2. Out of ideas? Hardly, they have the kind of mind power behind them to break open nifty little ideas.

I think you don't get the influence Forstall had with iOS. It was his way or gtfo. Even Ive and co refused to be in the same room as him. I believe this was a major reason to his getting the boot from Apple. Forstall sure invented iOS his way. And all props to him. But without the collective collaboration with more people from Apple, iOS growth stagnated. One man can't keep innovating forever. You need fresh heads to bounce ideas off. Forstall killed this by making everyone refuse to deal with him cause of his attitude.

With Forstall out of the picture Ive was free to consult with everyone he needed to and could improve iOS.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I think you don't get the influence Forstall had with iOS. It was his way or gtfo. Even Ive and co refused to be in the same room as him. I believe this was a major reason to his getting the boot from Apple. Forstall sure invented iOS his way. And all props to him. But without the collective collaboration with more people from Apple, iOS growth stagnated. One man can't keep innovating forever. You need fresh heads to bounce ideas off. Forstall killed this by making everyone refuse to deal with him cause of his attitude.

With Forstall out of the picture Ive was free to consult with everyone he needed to and could improve iOS.

Forstall is just an excuse. Remember, pitching a good idea to Steve was the trick. Although he might have hated it at first, he would eventually warm up to it. But no one wanted too.

Regardless of the fact that Forstall was Steve's protégé, many ideas Forstall didn't like made it into iPhone OS since they were pitched to Steve by jailbreak developers who never even had a meeting with him. See? It wasn't hard to make a change with Forstall there.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011

I think they got complacent with the iPhone and thought it would take years before people caught up to them. Yes, it did take years, but not as much as they thought it would. Android got in full swing in two years and Samsung has led that charge high and might. Apple is making changes to try to regain a lead, and by doing so they must first give what they chose not to give while others did, and then come up with ideas that puts them in the led. In other words, this year is Apple's catch up and create-a-pace year.

Evidence of that is easily seen in the Mac Pro, the new OS X features and the nice stolen features Apple grabbed with jailbreak developers. Remember, that App Store they love to brag about started out as Cydia and Installer back in 2007.

I don't disagree with you....but iOS 1 - 6 happened on Jobs and Forstall's watch. Those two are responsible for complacency within iOS. Federighi and Ive are the ones now having to play catchup and having people complain that they didn't reinvent the mobile user interface in 7 months. Microsoft spent something like 3 years developing Windows 8. It took Google several years to get Android to be a very credible alternative in the marketplace. Yet Apple's supposed to blow away everyone else and reinvent the UI in 7 months. :rolleyes:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I don't disagree with you....but iOS 1 - 6 happened on Jobs and Forstall's watch. Those two are responsible for complacency within iOS. Federighi and Ive are the ones now having to play catchup and having people complain that they didn't reinvent the mobile user interface in 7 months. Microsoft spent something like 3 years developing Windows 8. It took Google several years to get Android to be a very credible alternative in the marketplace. Yet Apple's supposed to blow away everyone else and reinvent the UI in 7 months. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying 7 months, I'm saying over the past 2 years now. They saw Android happening, yet they just stood watch and gloated the statistics we all see in each Keynote on how iPhone OS is the greatest thing ever. They still kind of do.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Apple taking time to perfect its products: then and now

Random … vBulletin search results brought up this topic when I sought a place for a parody (search terms included Jony Ive).

Anyway … the parody ended up under 'Jony Ive Redesigns Things' … and I was left thinking about this topic, about this observation from the opening post (June 2013):

… the big middle finger Apple gave the media and Wall Street. Basically what they said is they make a few really great products and take their time perfecting them …

Was it an Apple finger to the media and Wall Street?

I don't know (before 2014, such things rarely interested me). But if it was that finger … well, I don't know who occupies the finger now, but it's certainly neither Wall Street nor the media: Apple’s Software Quality Decline

– a little concern that Apple has, recently, taken less than the usual amount of time to perfect things. Just a little …

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Boy some people really are obsessed over certain things. Do you people take time to enjoy life in between fretting over Apple's software?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.