Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evangw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Hi, first of all congratz with your new iPhone 5.
But I'm having a problem using this method. I am a ios6 user on my iPod touch 4g and I am running a tethered jailbreak, so I have no problem getting into the root directory using iexplorer. But I can't seem to find the dictionaries folder anywhere. What should I do?

If it's not in /Library/Dictionaries, then I don't know. You'll have to search (via a command prompt either with the terminal app on the phone or via SSH) for one of the files that should exist, running these two commands:

cd /
find . -name BKDictionaryManager_LanguageToOrder.plist

once you're ssh'd in. Let us know where it is; I don't plan on updating any of my iDevices to iOS6 unless I'm forced to, e.g. buy buying an iPad 4.

Mariino

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
If it's not in /Library/Dictionaries, then I don't know. You'll have to search (via a command prompt either with the terminal app on the phone or via SSH) for one of the files that should exist, running these two commands:

cd /

once you're ssh'd in. Let us know where it is; I don't plan on updating any of my iDevices to iOS6 unless I'm forced to, e.g. buy buying an iPad 4.

I tried searching it using terminal app but i really don't know what i'm doing, lol. I typed the commands you said but all I get is "There is no such file or directory"
Obviously i'm doing something wrong, but I don't know how I should look for it.

slipshod

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012

cd /

I'm on ios6 too, not jailbroken. I found the above plist, it's in the folder named ibooks.app, not libraries, etc. I wasn't able to copy it to my mac but copied it fine using the pc version of iexplore (also pc ver of ifunbox) for whatever reason. Maybe my mac settings. So that's fine. Problem is the dictionaries folder is still not showing up.

If you go into the further language project folders (french.lproj, etc.) in the ibooks.app folder and take a look at the defaultdictionaries.plist in there it gives the location for the dictionary file as /Library/Dictionaries/, so that hasn't changed. But no file explorer I've found will show the dictionaries folder. Anyway that's just pecking around for twenty minutes. If anyone knows how to make the dictionaries folder appear please let me know.

McGerky

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
Is there any update?

Hello everyone,

I followed your discussion after all I ended up with IOS6 with my ipad mini but I'm highly interested to integrate an dictionary in iBooks.

Is there any chance to put these specific .dictonary file into the folders of the ipad mini (which is not jailbroken?).

Or maybe there is now a chance to do so even for io6?

Thank you for your information and support, it would be great to have such a feature within iBooks....

evangw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Hi, first of all congratz with your new iPhone 5.
But I'm having a problem using this method. I am a ios6 user on my iPod touch 4g and I am running a tethered jailbreak, so I have no problem getting into the root directory using iexplorer. But I can't seem to find the dictionaries folder anywhere. What should I do?

To anyone coming across this: just pick the word that has no definition. Your device should pull up an option to download a dictionary in that language. The dictionaries are pretty nice and work for Spanish, Dutch, German, French, and Italian, in addition to the already-extant English and Japanese dictionaries. It may also work for other languages, e.g. I see potential for Russian, Romanian, Portuguese, Polish, Korean, Italian, Slovenian, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese, but I have not tested these.

If you want a custom dictionary (e.g. a translating dictionary), you'll have to figure out a workaround, but I think for 95% of people the official solution should now be fine.

I'd been holding off on updating my iPad until a jailbreak came out, just for this reason... only to find out I didn't need to wait and jailbreak. I may tinker around to see if I can change the dictionaries, but it's more of a hobby thing than a need at this point.

Last edited:

oluckyman

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
To anyone coming across this: just pick the word that has no definition. Your device should pull up an option to download a dictionary in that language. The dictionaries are pretty nice and work for Spanish, Dutch, German, French, and Italian, in addition to the already-extant English and Japanese dictionaries. It may also work for other languages, e.g. I see potential for Russian, Romanian, Portuguese, Polish, Korean, Italian, Slovenian, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese, but I have not tested these.

If you want a custom dictionary (e.g. a translating dictionary), you'll have to figure out a workaround, but I think for 95% of people the official solution should now be fine.

I'd been holding off on updating my iPad until a jailbreak came out, just for this reason... only to find out I didn't need to wait and jailbreak. I may tinker around to see if I can change the dictionaries, but it's more of a hobby thing than a need at this point.

I have an iPad 2 with iOS 6.1.2.
Seems like something has been changed under the hood.
1) There is no more folder /Library/Dictionaries
2) And the file iBooks.app/BKDictionaryManager_LanguageToOrder.plist is no longer editable by a text editor. I can edit it only with OSX builtin Property List Editor app.
3) `Download the dictionary` feature is not working for the Russian language.

I tried to create a folder /Library/Dictionaries but it seems like the dictionaries inside this folder are not used anymore.
I found the built-in dictionaries:
Code:
# find / -name "*.dictionary" -print
and the result is:
Code:
[I]/Library/Dictionaries/Lingvo Explanatory (Ru-Ru).dictionary
/Library/Dictionaries/Lingvo Universal (En-Ru).dictionary[/I]
/System/Library/TextInput/TextInput_ja.bundle/CharacterInfo-jp.dictionary
/System/Library/TextInput/TextInput_zh.bundle/CharacterInfo.dictionary
[B]/private/var/mobile/Library/Assets/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionary/6a76fa2a68ff0a5b131057866ed5f8179f870e0c.asset/AssetData/Apple Dictionary.dictionary
/private/var/mobile/Library/Assets/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionary/7dc564a5a6fd7619f941d3d1145ce89d37700e78.asset/AssetData/New Oxford American Dictionary.dictionary
/private/var/mobile/Library/Assets/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionary/80d27946d2758c2b5964e7710759370315d8f89b.asset/AssetData/Sanseido The WISDOM English-Japanese Japanese-English Dictionary.dictionary
/private/var/mobile/Library/Assets/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionary/b8d130f565c2533d7eb44c94f4da3fb53ae6fbbe.asset/AssetData/Sanseido Super Daijirin.dictionary[/B]
/private/var/stash/share.6goB4r/mecabra/zh/Hans/Stroke.dictionary
/private/var/stash/share.6goB4r/mecabra/zh/Hant/Cangjie.dictionary
/private/var/stash/share.6goB4r/mecabra/zh/Hant/Stroke.dictionary

The first two is copied by me.

So does anybody know how to include custom dictionaries now?

Hitham adli

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Hello Oluckyman,

When I tried to define an Italian word, the download request doesn't popup!!
With what you just posted "since I don't understand about codes and these things :) my bad", is it possible to plant a multible dictionaries in a jailbroken ios 6.1.2? Example Italian-English or English-Arabic .... Thank you in advance.

oluckyman

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
In my case I wanted to get a Russian dictionary with definitions for Russian books. And I ended up with this solution:

1) copy the necessary dictionaries to the /Library/Dictionaries (or any othrer) folder.
Code:
/Library/Dictionaries/Lingvo Explanatory (Ru-Ru).dictionary
2) choose the built-in dictionary which one you can sacrifice and go to its folder (in my case it was Apple Dictionary).
Code:
cd /private/var/mobile/Library/Assets/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionary/6a76fa2a68ff0a5b131057866ed5f8179f870e0c.asset/AssetData/Apple Dictionary.dictionary
3) Backup the Contents folder
Code:
mv Contents Contents_backup
4) Make a link to the desired dictionary
Code:
 ln -s /Library/Dictionaries/Lingvo\ Explanatory\ \(Ru-Ru\).dictionary/Contents Contents

In my case that was it. After restarting iBooks I have an English dictionary for English books and a Russian dictionary for Russian books.

Hello Oluckyman,

When I tried to define an Italian word, the download request doesn't popup!!
With what you just posted "since I don't understand about codes and these things :) my bad", is it possible to plant a multible dictionaries in a jailbroken ios 6.1.2? Example Italian-English or English-Arabic .... Thank you in advance.

Hello, Hitham adli.

I have the same issue with Italian books. Seems like Italian is not supported by default. Anyway even if you were able to download the dictionary it would be a dictionary with definitions but with no translations.

So if you want to translate Italian books to English follow these steps:
1) Get the Italian-English dictionary (in Apple .dictionary format)
2) Follow the my instruction above but replace the "Lingvo Explanatory (Ru-Ru).dictionary" with your found dictionary. And in your case in the step 2 the "6a76fa2a68ff0a5b131057866ed5f8179f870e0c" string will be another letters-digits-string.

If you want to translate English words to your language instead of defining them, you can also change the Content folder in the Oxford American Dictionary folder to the Content folder of your dictionary with translations.

Fill free to ask any questions.

Hitham adli

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Hello again dear Oluckyman,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time and answer me very quickly! Simply I am very beginner user in the sense I can download my desired dictionary, but I don't know how to start applying the steps you mentioned earlier. I use a MacBook and mini iPad. Do I have to have some special software on my MacBook to get this done? is it mandatory to connect both iPad and mac to get access to the file system? and what is that software? "name will be more than enough as I will look for it and download it". What the code means? "Summary explanation will be very very appreciated :)"

I am trying to do this for the last 8 months :( couldn't figure it out my self. But this time I feel I am very close to the solution ;)

Many thanks :apple:

oluckyman

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013

First I would like to thank you for taking the time and answer me very quickly! Simply I am very beginner user in the sense I can download my desired dictionary, but I don't know how to start applying the steps you mentioned earlier. I use a MacBook and mini iPad. Do I have to have some special software on my MacBook to get this done? is it mandatory to connect both iPad and mac to get access to the file system? and what is that software? "name will be more than enough as I will look for it and download it". What the code means? "Summary explanation will be very very appreciated :)"

I am trying to do this for the last 8 months :( couldn't figure it out my self. But this time I feel I am very close to the solution ;)

Many thanks :apple:

Don't bother about "Code" it is just a highlight of commands in the console.

So here are detailed instructions on how to get dictionary to translate from Italian to English for iOS 6.1.*.

First of all you need a jailbroken device.
After this, I think, you can do all the things with the graphical interface program like iExplorer.

After you have downloaded and run iExplorer (demo version is well enough) connect the iPad to your MacBook via USB cable.

In the iExplorer
1. Choose the Files tab and press the Root button (or just select Root in the list on the left).
2. Open the folder `private/var/mobile/Library/Assets/com_apple_MobileAsset_DictionaryServices_dictionary`

You will see folders with letter-number names.
3. In one of these folders find one which contains AssetData/Apple dictionary.dictionary
4. Go inside and rename the Contents folder to something like Contents_backup.

In your MacBook
5. Open Finder and navigate to your it-en dictionary. It should be the file with name like "<it-en dictionary name>.dictionary".
6. Right click it and select "Show package contents". You will see the contents of your dictionary. It should be the Content folder.
7. Drag and drop this Content folder to the iExplore window inside the "Apple Dictionary.dictionary" folder.
After that step in the folder "Apple Dictionary.dictionary" should be two folders "Contents" and "Contents_backup".

That's all! Now you can restart iBooks, open any Italian book and try to define the word:)

Be happy!

Hitham adli

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Works just right!

I did everything successfully, and it seems everything work just fine apart of you don't get everything translated from Italian to English but I think it is a dictionary problem " do you suggest any source to get better one?", and thanks a lot for that. But now here is toughest part:
Is there a way to mix two dictionaries together? like you tap a word and you get a translation for English, Arabic, and Italian? If not, Is there a way to put multiple dictionaries in the folder "Apple Dictionary.dictionary" I meant the same way getting the "content" folder and put it in "Apple Dictionary.dictionary"? Because in Macbook I could get the machine to give multiple translations in the same popup thing which appears when you ask for a translation "excuse my English :)" it was a piece of cake actually! But let me admit it: you the man of this thread :cool:

Thanks a lot man! :apple:

oluckyman

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013

I did everything successfully, and it seems everything work just fine apart of you don't get everything translated from Italian to English but I think it is a dictionary problem " do you suggest any source to get better one?", and thanks a lot for that. But now here is toughest part:
Is there a way to mix two dictionaries together? like you tap a word and you get a translation for English, Arabic, and Italian? If not, Is there a way to put multiple dictionaries in the folder "Apple Dictionary.dictionary" I meant the same way getting the "content" folder and put it in "Apple Dictionary.dictionary"? Because in Macbook I could get the machine to give multiple translations in the same popup thing which appears when you ask for a translation "excuse my English :)" it was a piece of cake actually! But let me admit it: you the man of this thread :cool:

Thanks a lot man! :apple:

Glad that it helped you!
Unfortunately I don't know any sources for it-en dictionaries. Try torrent trackers. I got my Russian dictionary from the one of those.

I am afraid there are no easy way to combine the two dictionaries. Also you can't put several dictionaries in the same folder. It seems like Dictionary app does the search through available dictionaries and picks the first one which matches the word. So you can't define a word in several dictionaries simultaneously.
Maybe there are more sophisticated ways which involve tweaking *.plist files but, like you, I am not strong in such things :)

Hitham adli

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
You are right dear friend! Anyways we got the job done nicely and I am really happy for the fact that I don't need to switch to another app to understand the meaning for something anymore. Plus it works just right for the whole system. :D but my job now will be to look for better dictionaries for both English-Arabic and Italian-English. What is the right keywords to start searching smoothly for that? Italian English.dictionary.zip? Because I tried that but... Very Confusing results I get on google! Lol. Have a nice one.:cool:

oluckyman

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
You are right dear friend! Anyways we got the job done nicely and I am really happy for the fact that I don't need to switch to another app to understand the meaning for something anymore. Plus it works just right for the whole system. :D but my job now will be to look for better dictionaries for both English-Arabic and Italian-English. What is the right keywords to start searching smoothly for that? Italian English.dictionary.zip? Because I tried that but... Very Confusing results I get on google! Lol. Have a nice one.:cool:

The keywords for the start are like this: "italian english dictionary osx|mac"
Also it is better to do search for an Italian dictionary by keywords in Italian language and for an Arabic dictionary by kywords in Arabic language.

Be happy! :)

Hitham adli

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Searching in process ... I am really happy now lol but really If you decide one day to come and Vist Dubai I will be more than happy to invite you for a tour around this beautiful city :) "let me know whenever you want" ;) you wont believe how happy I am with my last achievement and thanks to you!

oluckyman

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Searching in process ... I am really happy now lol but really If you decide one day to come and Vist Dubai I will be more than happy to invite you for a tour around this beautiful city :) "let me know whenever you want" ;) you wont believe how happy I am with my last achievement and thanks to you!

What a wonderful time we live in! When such different people who live in such different places share common interests and can easily communicate and help each other. It's awesome -)
Thank you for the invitation! We will have it in mind when planning the next vacation :)

Hitham adli

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Indeed dear friend! If you would tell me what today's world is, I wouldn't believe. Simply amazing world. If you don't mind me asking last question "I promise :)" since I got the English to Arabic translation work, do you think there is a way to get it work vice versa? I mean Arabic to English? Because it is always the same dictionary isn't it?

oluckyman

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Indeed dear friend! If you would tell me what today's world is, I wouldn't believe. Simply amazing world. If you don't mind me asking last question "I promise :)" since I got the English to Arabic translation work, do you think there is a way to get it work vice versa? I mean Arabic to English? Because it is always the same dictionary isn't it?

Hello, Hitham!
By default the Dictionary app has only two English dictionaries (Apple dictionary and New Oxford American Dictionary). It means that you can replace Apple dictionary Content by the English->Arabic dictionary and New Oxford dictionary Content by the Arabic->English dictionary.
After that when you will read an English book you will get definition from en->ar dictionary. And when you will read an Arabic book you will get definitions from ar->en dictionary.

If you need more then two dictionaries you need to do something more complicated. And I can't help you with it :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This dictionary issue is exactly the kind of stuff Cousin Jane talks about in her odd collection of ideas. It shouldn't be this hard to add a dictionary.

Hitham adli

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Hello, Hitham!
By default the Dictionary app has only two English dictionaries (Apple dictionary and New Oxford American Dictionary). It means that you can replace Apple dictionary Content by the English->Arabic dictionary and New Oxford dictionary Content by the Arabic->English dictionary.
After that when you will read an English book you will get definition from en->ar dictionary. And when you will read an Arabic book you will get definitions from ar->en dictionary.

If you need more then two dictionaries you need to do something more complicated. And I can't help you with it :)

Hello dear Oluckyman, I'm hlad To tell you that finally I could do it, yaaaaay! So now I have English Arabic Babylon, Arabic English Babylon, Italian English Babylon. Didn't find an Italian Arabic dictionary at ALL. Buy anyways it is way better than it used to be, at least I can read some books on my ipad now :)
Thanks dear friend, take care :)

ergi2468

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2013
not the same?

Hi I've managed to do the steps so far but i don't understand something: in the BKDictionaryManager_LanguageToOrder.plist file you say i should get something like this:
<key>en</key>
<array>
<string>com.apple.dictionary.NOAD</string>
<string>com.apple.dictionary.OAWT</string>
<string>com.apple.dictionary.AppleDictionary</string>
</array>
<key>ja</key>
<array>
<string>com.apple.dictionary.Daijisen</string>
<string>com.apple.dictionary.ruig</string>
<string>com.apple.dictionary.PEJ-PJE</string>
</array>

Instead i get this:
bplist00ÒRenRja£_com.apple.dictionary.NOAD_com.apple.dictionary.OAWT_$com.apple.dictionary.AppleDictionary£
_com.apple.dictionary.Daijisen_com.apple.dictionary.ruig_com.apple.dictionary.PEJ-PJE
3Ovzš¶  Õ

what to do?

evangw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Hi I've managed to do the steps so far but i don't understand something: in the BKDictionaryManager_LanguageToOrder.plist file you say i should get something like this:
<key>en</key>
<array>
</array>
<key>ja</key>
<array>
</array>

Instead i get this:
bplist00ÒRenRja£_com.apple.dictionary.NOAD_com.apple.dictionary.OAWT_$com.apple.dictionary.AppleDictionary£
_com.apple.dictionary.Daijisen_com.apple.dictionary.ruig_com.apple.dictionary.PEJ-PJE
3Ovzš¶  Õ

what to do?

You're probably opening it with a text editor that doesn't know what to do with the file. Try opening with either TextWrangler (free) or Apple's own plist editor (requires XCode installed). Sorry I can't 100% remember if TextWrangler works, you might need to use a real Plist viewer. Give it a shot either way.

paul55391

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
I figured out how to do this successfully, here's a short way to do it for ANY LANGUAGE.

NON TECHNICAL WRITEUP FOR EASY USE; JAILBREAK IS NOT REQUIRED:
1. Download a dictionary for your language of interest. For example, here is a French one (in French):
http://www.etresoft.com/etreref/EtreRef_Dictionnaire-AcademieFrancaise_1935_101.zip. Note, when you install it, it will be found in either /Library/Dictionaries or ~/Library/Dictionaries/

Here are some translating ones to/from German from many other languages:
http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/clasqm/mac-os-x-dictionaries/west-european-languages/german.html

And you can look yourself for others. Note that if they are already in Apple's .dictionary format, it will make this process easier.

2. Once you have downloaded the .dictionary file, open it up (mac: right click -> show package contents) then click the Contents folder and look for Info.plist. Open up the Info.plist in TextEdit or a similar text editor. Look for the SECOND line starting something like <string>com...</string>. For the French dictionary linked above, this is: <string>com.etresoft.EtreRef.DAF_1935</string>

Save that somewhere.

3. Open up your iOS device with a file explorer, like iExplorer ( http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/ ) for Mac; many equivalents for PC.

Navigate to /Library/Dictionaries/ ---> note this is "Root - Library - Dictionaries"

4. Copy your dictionary file to the Dictionaries folder. You should now see your new dictionary in that folder.

5. Now go to your iOS device (still in iExplorer) and go to your Apps folder and go to iBooks.app. Open the iBooks.app folder which will have MANY files. Look for the file called BKDictionaryManager_LanguageToOrder.plist and copy this to your computer.

6. Open the BKDictionaryManager_LanguageToOrder.plist file in a simple text editor like TextEdit.

You will see something like:

<key>en</key>
<array>
</array>
<key>ja</key>
<array>
</array>

Here, you need to add a new section depending on your language and the <string> from step 2. For me to add my French dictionary, I add the additional lines after the </array> for Japan (but BEFORE </dict>)

<key>fr</key>
<array>
<string>com.etresoft.EtreRef.DAF_1935</string>
</array>

I now save this file and copy it back to the same folder in iBooks.app on the iOS device where I got it.

7. Your dictionary should immediately begin working. Note: you may need to quit iBooks and relaunch it by double-clicking the Home button, holding down on iBooks.app, and then pressing the red minus sign.

8. Congrats!

NOTES:

1. This method will not affect Japanese or English books/definitions. However, if you want to replace the English or Japanese dictionaries (e.g. you want to translate English into your native language), when you see the line in the LanguageToOrder.plist like:

You should add your dictionary <string> line BEFORE THAT. The dictionary.app on iOS preferentially chooses the FIRST dictionary for a language under each <key>. If it does not find the word in the first dictionary, it goes onto the second, and so forth. Do not delete any old dictionaries or text, just in case you want to go back.

2. If you want to make your own dictionaries, it is unfortunately quite difficult. Furthermore, there is no way to concatenate two dictionaries easily; e.g. you cannot combine a translating dictionary with a real dictionary in any simple method.

3. You can download a wide variety of translating dictionaries from StarDict here:
http://cvsup6.freebsd.org/mirror/FreeBSD/distfiles/stardict/

Unfortunately they must be converted using DictUnifier which only works on OS X 10.5 through 10.7 at the time of writing, though may work for 10.8 eventually. ( http://code.google.com/p/mac-dictionary-kit/ ). To make these, simply drag the .tar.bz2 dictionary file onto DictUnifier and wait for it to complete, then install the dictionary, which you will find in ~/Library/Dictionaries/ and then can copy to your iOS device.

------ "HACKER" METHOD -------

This method is technically more difficult and requires a jailbroken iOS device, so I don't really recommend it, but it's how I did it in the first place. If you know what you're doing it's just as quick as the previous method.

ON YOUR COMPUTER
1. Download or make the dictionary you want. By far the easiest is to download a file already in Apple's .dictionary format, which you can find online in many places [see above]

2. Show package contents on the Apple .dictionary file and look inside the Info.plist for the <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.dictionary.YOUR_DICTIONARY_NAME</string>

and keep track of the <string>com.apple.dictionary.YOUR_DICTIONARY_NAME</string> line.

3. Copy your dictionary to the iOS device to /Library/Dictionaries/ (you MUST copy as root). E.g. this is syntax like "scp -r YOURDICTIONARY root@XXX.XXX.X.XXX:/Library/Dictionaries/". The default root password is "alpine" and if it is still that, you should change it. Note the "-r" is essential for this copy.

ON YOUR iOS DEVICE
5. Find your iBooks application folder, either by going through all your Application folders one-by-one (if using a browing app) or by typing "find . -name iBooks.app" if you're using CLI. Keep track of that location.

ON YOUR COMPUTER
6. Copy BKDictionaryManager_LanguageToOrder.plist back to your computer, e.g. "scp root@XXX.XXX.X.XXX:/var/mobile/Applications/325187A0ETCETCETC/iBooks.app/BKDictionaryManager_LanguageToOrder.plist ."

7. Open up the BKDictionary... file in a text editor. Make a new language entry for your language, using the correct two letter key (fr is French, de is German; you'll have to figure out the rest).

8. Save the plist and copy it back to your iBooks.app/ from step 5.

9. If iBooks is open, close it, then double-click your home button, hold down on iBooks, then click the red 'minus'. Now re-open iBooks and your new dictionary should immediately start working.

10. If you want multiple dictionaries for a language, then you can do that by adding more ITEMS to the plist, but unfortunately iBooks will default and select the first dictionary and only go onto item 2, 3, etc, if the word you search for is not in item 1. Switching between the two is a PITA since you have to edit the plist.

E: I based my instructions off of this person's tutorial, with some modifications. http://eduworkz.net/Forums/tabid/57/forumid/7/postid/62/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.