Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
With the simplified icons on iOS 7, do you think developers will follow suit with third party apps? A lot of game titles have very detailed icons, which could in theory make the OS look mismatched between simple stock app icons and detail filled third party icons.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
With the simplified icons on iOS 7, do you think developers will follow suit with third party apps? A lot of game titles have very detailed icons, which could in theory make the OS look mismatched between simple stock app icons and detail filled third party icons.

As a developer, I will have to say a lot of them will, yes.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Of course they will 93% of Apple users are using iOS 6. So, I can only imagine it'll be that amount for iOS 7 as well when it's released. For all we know, Apple may force them to update if they submit an update to their app.

Ram27

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
They'd pretty much have to.

Hopefully they won't have crappy gradients and weird rainbow blobs.

I'm curious what MLB At Bat will do, because they probably will keep the logo, but still have to make it look simple/flat.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Apple lowered the bar for design with this release. I think designers will have to drop their standards occasionally if they want a familiar-looking iOS app. Some don't (look at clear, haze, rise), but on the whole apps/icons will probably start looking just as bad and lazy as the stock ones.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'm curious about what people mean when they say they'll have to. Can Apple actually enforce a particular aesthetic? And how do they go about doing that?

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
sorry I didn't see your thread

I believe so, dropbox went flat a few months back same as google and I'm willing to bet office for iOS will and the xbox smartglass apps already look flatty

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
We're not.

I know of at least two other development studios who aren't either. Just because Apple has lowered their bar does not mean we have to. Many of us have invested umpteen hours refining the skill set required to produce quality work. Nobody is going to throw out all that effort just because Apple seems to have forgotten what makes their ecosystem unique (quality artwork and UI design).

If anything, some of us are hoping that the high level of quality we invest in our work becomes "niche" in a way, while everyone else is busy running in the opposite direction trying to accommodate Apple's new style. This basically means that we can stand out from the rest, and charge more money for the same thing we've always done- because there will always be a demand for high-end textured user interfaces and icons.

-SC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.