Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As a part of iOS 7's major redesign, shown off at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference keynote yesterday, the company redesigned the icons of all of the core Apple apps, giving them a simpler and cleaner look.

applemapsspaceship.png
9to5Mac notes that the icons for both the iOS 7 Maps app and the new Maps app coming in OS X Mavericks appear to show off the location of Apple's "Campus 2", frequently informally referred to as the "Spaceship" campus. Prior to iOS 7, the Maps icon featured Apple's current headquarters on Infinite Loop in Cupertino.

The icon design is greatly simplified, but does show a navigation route running just to the north of Interstate 280, corresponding to the location of Apple's Campus 2. Apple's Infinite Loop campus is located just south of Interstate 280, as is reflected in the current icon.

Campus 2, just a short distance away from Apple's current headquarters, is dominated by a circular 2,800,000 square foot 4-story building designed to hold 13,000 employees. It has a targeted completion date of 2016.

Article Link: New Maps Icons Show Apple's 'Spaceship' Campus Location

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Ah!

I'd known about the current icon and so I was quite confused by the decision to change it.

Now it makes sense. Kind of. Whereas Infinite Loop has a very distinctive road pattern, the Spaceship does not... IDK, I'll miss the loop even though I never was there in person.

samlikesmac

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I noticed that immediately yesterday. I thought it looked like it was heading for the new campus. Very clever indeed.

tomguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Clock Icon

Anyone noticed the clock icon actually moves? I don't think it did before right? Now you can see the second hand moving.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
hideous...

The new maps icon in iOS 7 looks terrible, but overall much better than the rest of the redesigned stock apps Apple revealed yesterday, which isn't really saying much. I'm so disappointed with their new icon aesthetic, it's a major step backwards IMO.

KFredje

macrumors member
May 19, 2013
Well, Apple sure has money. Comparison of 2012 to 2016 - 2012 are HP and other companies' buildings, 2016 only Apple.

attachment.php

Attachments

• apple-spaceship-campus-2.jpg
    apple-spaceship-campus-2.jpg
    823.1 KB · Views: 58,836

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
The new maps icon in iOS 7 looks terrible, but overall much better than the rest of the redesigned stock apps Apple revealed yesterday, which isn't really saying much. I'm so disappointed with their new icon aesthetic, it's a major step backwards IMO.

There was quite a backlash when the iTunes logo changed as well. Eventually people will like the change, maybe even you! :cool:

time travel http://www.maclife.com/article/news/think_itunes_10_icon_sucks_steve_jobs_disagrees

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....that the icons for both the iOS 7 Maps app and the new Maps app coming in OS X Mavericks appear to show off the location of Apple's "Campus 2", frequently informally referred to as the "Spaceship" campus. Prior to iOS 7, the Maps icon featured Apple's current headquarters on Infinite Loop in Cupertino.

Article Link: New Maps Icons Show Apple's 'Spaceship' Campus Location

APPLE's attention to detail is unmatched.....lol.....They DO think way ahead, don't they?

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Nor did the old one.

It highly suggested it.

I'm glad to see them paying attention to detail, as well as being forward-thinking. Each are good qualities in a company.

Attachments

• iOS6-AppleMaps-icon.jpg
    iOS6-AppleMaps-icon.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2,971

peppespizzapie

Suspended
Jul 5, 2010
If anyone is stupid enough to follow a GPS off a cliff... that's just natural selection.

How about just simply coming home? Is that why maps was made?
To an adress that exists for 7 years already but is still not found in maps?
Is THAT too much to ask too?

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Space ship....

Beep... Beep.... Boo.... Bop... I like to call all circles "space ships."

Beep Beep... all circle buildings are space ships.

The Guggenheim is also a space ship...

People who call circles "space ships" are highly intelligent.

:p

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Forgive me if I'm being dumb here, but in what way does the new icon show the new campus, apart from the fact that it's somewhere just north of I280? From what I can see the road layout on the icon doesn't represent the road layout of the campus - or am I missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.