Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melb00m

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I've been following these forums carefully since the release of iOS 7 beta, and some people really need to calm down a little. Why do so many people expect a "final product" every time a new beta comes out, although the Apple page unambiguously states that it's not final software and targeted at DEVELOPERS only (and not the end user with an every-day phone).

It's true that in the past, most of the times the visuals displayed in a beta didn't change much, but I think this time it might be a little bit different. Here's why:

1- In contrast to all the minor evolutionary steps that the iOS UI has undertaken up to v6, this is such a major redesign it's just out of comparison. My bet is there will be tweaks on the UI (including icons...!) all the way to the final release. It just takes a lot of time, and I bet the engineers and designers at Apple are working their butts off right now. They're not stupid and know what they're doing!

2- Supporting the above: no iPad beta version -- that's a very clear sign that the visuals are most likely not yet fully ready even on the "small" iPhone screens, let alone on the bigger pads.

3- And even more: do you really think they'd really push out the UI to the millions of iPhone 4 users the way it looks right now without all the effects? Apple just has gone through the Maps disaster, I'm pretty sure they will be VERY careful that they don't draw a similar amount of hate again...

I think this beta this time is really just for developers to let them get a fist impression on the new direction of the iOS style, so they can already start adapting their apps (and make use of the new API's as well). It has come to knowledge ahead of WWDC that Apple is a little behind, but it's also unthinkable they would hold the WWDC without showing a new version of iOS. So yes, what we have now might be a little "rushed", compared to previous betas.

To put things a little into perspective, look at the "major" changes from iOS 5 to 6:
* Apple Maps (ugh!)
* Google Services gone (ugh!)
* Passbook
* Only very subtle UI changes

This time, we get a full-fledged UI overhaul with many good ideas already in place PLUS very useful new features (control center, AirDrop, real multitasking, per-app VPN, and so much more...). And all that worked out from a team under new lead and in just a couple months. How can possibly everything be ready by now? It can not!

To summarize, this beta should be seen for what it is... a preview for WWDC devs so they can learn and make use of the new UI and API.

In my opinion, we should be really thankful that Apple finally is pushing iOS forward more aggressively, and cut the engineers some slack so they can finish and polish what they already have (very successfully) begun.

dominic252

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Some things I noticed as well:

1) Notifications look unfinished. They take up too much of the screen/too tall

2) They took out "tap to tweet" and "tap to post". Why would they do that? I have a feeling we're going to be seeing some type of widget, considering Tim said they'd be interested in opening up the API more.

3) I think they're going to incorporate a quick reply method, considering it's in Mavericks

I have a feeling what we have now isn't even close to what the final release will be like

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London

2) They took out "tap to tweet" and "tap to post". Why would they do that? I have a feeling we're going to be seeing some type of widget, considering Tim said they'd be interested in opening up the API more.

3) I think they're going to incorporate a quick reply method, considering it's in Mavericks

I have a feeling what we have now isn't even close to what the final release will be like

Fully agree, now apple open up a bit more they will just have to continue to make iOS 7 better with each release and at the same time not do too much for average end users of iPhone.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It is possible that Apple bit off more than they can chew here. They basically redesigned the entire UI in a matter of 6 months. I’m not using the beta but from what I’m reading/seeing it seems this is in a way the opposite of maps. Where maps looked fine from an aesthetic point of view it just didn’t work for a lot of people. With iOS 7 it seems the functionality and features work and are great but the UI is a bit inconsistent.

The word “flat” was never mentioned during the keynote or in any of the promotional materials/videos. Yet, depth was mentioned and demonstrated several times. It seems to me Apple is trying to find the balance between the design getting out of the way and ridding the UI of ornamentation (i.e. deference to your content as Jony Ive would say) and still providing an enjoyable experience that isn’t sterile and lifeless. So you have inconsistencies where some things are very flat and others aren’t.

I don’t think it’s Jony Ive and Apple designers not knowing what they’re doing but them trying to find the right balance and all of this being a work in progress. iOS 7 is laying down some foundations but it will change and be refined and perfected over time. Jony Ive has only been in this human interface role for 6 months or so. It will take him time to hit his stride here. In the iOS 7 promotional video he basically said it’s just the beginning. I think Apple had to change and is heading in the right direction. It’s just going to take time to perfect.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I agree with most comments here but I doubt they will change the icons considering they are already advertising them on apple.com homepage and they would NEVER let the general public know if they intended to change it. That is not apple like

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida

With such a major re-design I think we are for from a finished product. I hope they have a ton of betas and they start releasing them sooner. No more bi weekly releases.
They have changed icons in betas before. (Reminders app) pocketfullofapps.com/2011/07/13/new-reminders-app-icon-in-ios-5-beta-3.html

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
There is no law that states Apple has to make a major-point release alongside each years flagship iOS release. Apple could, and should have, released iOS 6.5 with functional changes like the multi-page folders and auto-updates. They could then have taken an extra 6-12 months perfecting the new UI and released it at some point next year.

R4z3r

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
NJ
With such a major re-design I think we are for from a finished product. I hope they have a ton of betas and they start releasing them sooner. No more bi weekly releases.
They have changed icons in betas before. (Reminders app) pocketfullofapps.com/2011/07/13/new-reminders-app-icon-in-ios-5-beta-3.html

Agreed.

On notifications in the quote you made, I like how it takes up the screen since I think this will translate nicely to the iPad :)

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
There is no law that states Apple has to make a major-point release alongside each years flagship iOS release. Apple could, and should have, released iOS 6.5 with functional changes like the multi-page folders and auto-updates. They could then have taken an extra 6-12 months perfecting the new UI and released it at some point next year.

I would agree with you if iOS 7 were a disaster from a usability standpoint, but it's actually the opposite!

As people are saying here, the functionality is pretty brilliant, and very impressive for a first beta of a complete overhaul.

The UI look still needs some work, but that is much easier to fix during the testing process. So why wait?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.