Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Hello,

As I was watching the WWDC keynote, something caught my eye. Cover Flow has gone from iOS 7. Now, when you turn your device sideways, you get a grid of cover art to scroll through.

Cover Flow is also gone from iTunes 11. Now, you also have the grid of album artwork where clicking an album cover "drops down" the songs on that album.

It looks like the Cover Flow button is still present in OS X Maverick's Finder, but we'll see what happens when it's released.

I just wanted to know what you folks think of Cover Flow. Did you like it? Would you miss it if it was removed from Mavericks?

Personally, I never use Cover Flow. I don't think it's a good way of presenting information, since it really only shows one item at a time. Everything else is side-on and mostly obscured by the items in front of it. If you don't know the implicit order of the items, it's hard to navigate. Turning on previews in Finder icons and increasing the icon size seems to work better, especially if you use Quick Look. I have disabled "sideways cover flow" on my iPhone, iPod touch and iPod nano.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Cover Flow was always awful. It's a really cool effect, but that's all it was. Browsing through it wasn't fun, and it took too many resources when used through iTunes.

I never liked it, nor do I miss it.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Meh, never got what all the hype was about. I always felt that a cleanly laid out grid of albums/artists is a far better way to browse your music.

Attachments

• google_play_music_all_access.jpg
    google_play_music_all_access.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 270
  • itunes-11-album-view.png
    itunes-11-album-view.png
    249.7 KB · Views: 373

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Hello,

As I was watching the WWDC keynote, something caught my eye. Cover Flow has gone from iOS 7.

Well, not completely. It's definitely gone from iTunes. But it seems they've opted for a "Cover Flow effect" to display the multiple tabs in Safari on iOS 7...

Attachments

• safari_iOS7.jpg
    safari_iOS7.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 174

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Cover Flow was always awful. It's a really cool effect, but that's all it was. Browsing through it wasn't fun, and it took too many resources when used through iTunes.

I never liked it, nor do I miss it.

Cover Flow was an exemplary example of a "feature" heavily hyped by Steve Jobs. A good number of us who've been loyal Apple computer users & enthusiasts long before the iEverything days, found it to be annoying and useless.

Yet it served a purpose as it gave him something to use at that years WWDC, to whip the crowd into a frenzy. He milked it for all it was worth, mainly as a hammer to bash Windows. In the years that followed it was easily ignored, so the fact that Apple has silently swept it out like yesterday's garbage is no surprise.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I was never a loyal long time Apple fan but I found Cover Flow also to be the epitome example of useless animation gimmick. The only thing worse was the Flip3D feature in Windows Vista or 7. Just for the sake of putting some fancy animation in but not really making it more accessible and better to use.
A friend of mine really liked it though. :confused: To me it was one of those features that you show of to friends (look how cool my phone is it can do that) and then never actually use yourself.
I always installed screen locks on iOS before those were integrated because I hated cover flow turning on when I was lying in bed and scrolling through lists sideways.

I find iOS 7 the first new iOS that seems to go for usability over intuitiveness, which I prefer greatly. I prefer efficient with a bit of a learning curve over inefficient with less learning curve any day. They seem to have added now so many features which really should have been there all along. Like they finally managed to implement SBSettings. :rolleyes: Took them long enough.

Ironically the first iOS upgrade I would really like I can not get on my 3GS :(
Took me forever to justify upgrading my jailbroken phone to iOS 5 which I still use. My next phone is going to be an Android though. Still waiting for that rumored Motorola with the 4000mAh battery. I just want battery life in a smartphone screw every other feature.

Neverywhere

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
I want it back to i-Tunes as soon as possible. It was great ,really loved it. It was like scrolling through ones old lp collection.

What we have now is a smal image of the record and a cumbersome scrolling possibility ...one that jumps back to the first song every time you even wink at it...

Bring back coverflow !:mad:

tmdoom

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
I don't use it in iOS, nor in iTunes much. But in Finder, I find it invaluable.

I routinely have to look through large numbers of illustrations and photos. Having a very large preview image of these files so that I can inspect them without opening the files has helped me immeasurably.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Visually it was nice, but it was always a pain in the backside in real world use. One of the reasons I jailbreak was to install the NoCoverFlow tweak.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Never liked it, not in iTunes, the Finder, or on my iOS devices. I won't miss it.

conkerbot

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
On my old iPod Nano 3rd Gen that I still use quite a bit, Cover Flow is a really good way to browse through albums. But on OS X, iTunes and iOS it's just useless and never gets used (by me at least).

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
Never found any practical time-saving use for it. Sometimes I would use it when non-Mac users were around just for show, and the total amount of times I used it on iPhone since 2008 was maybe five when I remembered it was actually there.

chancesmith5

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2014
CoverPlay was a work of art

Although it may not have been as functional as ios 7's music player, it was by far simpler, and more enjoyable to look at. It was one of the small touches that made ios one of the simplest and most beautiful products you could get. Although I am a fan of iOS 7, I think it was a mistake to irradiate coverflow

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Just another Apple marketing gimmick. Probably tested well with their core fashion and fad buying demographic. Fickle and flighty, the demo probably moved on to the excitement of color choice (!) of their phone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hated cover flow, just another gimmick that was not useful imo,. I never used it, and I was happy to see it go

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I liked the coverflow in iTunes.

As for IOS Safari, it has gotten pretty lame and exaggerated to the point it is annoying to deal with (for me).

Neverywhere

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
One year down the drain and still no return of coverflow to be seen...I can not believe that the one thing that made i-Tunes stand out from the rest of the music players has been ditchet in favour of....eh.....nothing?:mad:

KingShoot007

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
Starfleet Academy
I miss CoverFlow. I find it so nice to scroll your music like that in iTunes. Then I got even happier when it showed up on my 3rd gen Nano. Apple just had to remove a classic feature- they are starting to become just like Google with Youtube

I hope iTunes will bring it back and I hope there is a Cydia tweak for iOS 7 to bring it back

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.