Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Hey guys,

loving the feel of iOS7 although its taking a while to get used to everything, which has brought me to Mail...

How the heck do you change the amount of mail it syncs? at the moment i have 700 emails showing in my inbox as i always set it to 50 but comparing it to iOS 6 that same feature isnt there in iOS7.

anyone know where this is?

thanks!

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
It is on a per-account basis. On my Exchange accounts I see it right in the account settings.

andrelondon

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Mail in IOS 7

Hi there..anyone found out yet how to sync only 50 msgs on Mail...As the original post says there is an option on IOS 6 but I cant find anywhere on IOS 7. I have a GMail account but Im using the stock Mail App not the Gmail App. I now have 6648 emails showing on Mail and its taking valuable space....

andrelondon

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Its not an Exchange account.... the option to sync by days it was available on IOS 6 and still is on ISO 7 for Microsoft Exchange but on other accounts you had the option to sync 25, 50, 75, 100 or 200 most recent emails but that option is not there anymore.

Cayennr

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Skopje, Macedonia
Hi there..anyone found out yet how to sync only 50 msgs on Mail...As the original post says there is an option on IOS 6 but I cant find anywhere on IOS 7. I have a GMail account but Im using the stock Mail App not the Gmail App. I now have 6648 emails showing on Mail and its taking valuable space....

I don’t know if the same feature will be implemented in iOS 7 in the future betas, but you can limit IMAP folders (inbox, sent mail, archive) in Gmail settings to contain just 1000 messages. Here’s how you can do that in case you don’t know: Login to Gmail.com, then Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > Folder Size Limits > Limit IMAP folders to contain no more than this many messages: 1000.

That’s a one way I can think of to reduce the space your email messages take on your iPhone (although I wouldn’t say all those messages take up a lot of space because the Mail.app omits the attachments—it downloads just the text).

Just note that this means 1000 messages per folder, so that’s 1000 in inbox, 1000 in sent mail, etc.

(I’m sorry if I sound confusing, I'm not a native English speaker.)

andrelondon

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Hi there
Thanks for that. I made the changes on gmail.com
Hopefully Apple will bring that back later on a new beta

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Another workaround is that for iOS 7, Apple added "archive" (as well as "move to junk"). In Settings, you can change "Move discarded messages into" setting from "Deleted Mailbox" to "Archive Message".

bzavala

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I am having the same issue with Yahoo mail, using the Mail app from ios7 :/
There used to be an option to limit the # of downloaded messages, whether they were read or unread, on ios7. For both Gmail and Yahoo mail. It's not on ios7 anymore... :/

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I am having the same issue with Yahoo mail, using the Mail app from ios7 :/
There used to be an option to limit the # of downloaded messages, whether they were read or unread, on ios7. For both Gmail and Yahoo mail. It's not on ios7 anymore... :/

read the comment above, it works :)

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
The comment above only marks the emails as read. But they are still on the device taking up space. So it doesn't really answer the OPs question. But I do miss the feature from the previous versions of iOS to only sync the last 50 emails instead of the entire mailbox.

SBacklin

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
Seattle, WA
This may be a little off topic a bit but, I'm wondering if anyone knows if in iOS 7 has apple implemented a SPAM filter or if the above mentioned "move to junk" option is tied to the server's SPAM filter (iCloud email).

What about "mark as not junk" options?

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Did that and my mailbox is still showing around 260 messages as unread.

Yeah i did the mark all to read. And after a while it goes back to showing that i have like a 1000 messages unread. So i mark them all as read. And it just keeps saying over and over that i have messages that i have not read. This happened with ios 7 beta 3. I use the mailbox app, and yahoo.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
It must be the email that aren't loaded in physical memory?
It would go away if there were an option to limit the amount of emails to display.
I don't need to access 500 personal emails at any time, or I should be able to change it to 2 weeks or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.